GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Snow

So I have to go up to PA for Thanksgiving and they expect snow.
My GT3 has Pirelli's.
How do these babies do in snow?
Mr. B

Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Snow w/o Snow Tires

Any summer tire will have be a disadvantage due to a) how the rubber reacts w/ cold (summers get real stiff), and b) the tread depth on your tires. Add to the hazard if you have little experience with the car in snow (new to you GT3 ?) and it gets worst if you have little experience of driving in the snow.

That said the storm will probably be more hype then real accumulation.

In early snow season I try and find a smooth parking lot w/ at least a 1/2" of snow atop to practice the push and slide (as well as spin) technique; but my ride has great snows, all wheel drive and I tend to put 8,000 miles in the bad weather (3 different vehicles). Practice will help.

Great Holiday weekend to you and enjoy the Snow !

Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
I have pirelli P zeros to they don't work very well on snow ....

Old 11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Drive something else and if it's your only car rent one.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:59 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
3 issues I see.

Cold = very hard tire compound. Scary on any surface.

Ground clearance = snow plow effect.

RWD with rear engine = extreme rear bias.

Should make for an entertaining drive.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Wayne K is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Drive something else and if it's your only car rent one.
+1. Unless you install winter tires you are a Kamikaze Pilot if you run into accumulating snow.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Wayne K
+1. Unless you install winter tires you are a Kamikaze Pilot if you run into accumulating snow.

Thanks everybody.

Here's what the National Weather Service says:
"Thanksgiving Day: A chance of freezing rain and sleet before noon, then rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Thursday Night: Rain likely before 2am, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible."

It's true that the GT3 is new to me, but I have over 1,000 hours at the skid pad and I do a lot of instructing there and on the track.

The GT3 isn't my only car, it's just that it's SOOO much fun to drive!!

Further thoughts??
TIA,
Mr. B

Old 11-23-2010, 04:21 PM
996TTFred is on a distinguished road
How good are the other drivers you are going to encounter in the sleet and snow? A rental car with coverage or the DD would be a lot less stress.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Sleet and slush are worse than packed snow. I encountered about 3 inches of the stuff a few weeks ago going across Rabbit Ears pass and it was one of the scariest - trickiest crossings I have ever made. This was on RE-11's and an awd 911 turbo. When they say, "not intended for freezing temps, ice and snow, they are not BS'ing! Summer tires suck in those situations. Just my 2 cents. Have a great Thanksgving. May it be an uneventful one!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Hmmm

Originally Posted by Steamboat
Sleet and slush are worse than packed snow. I encountered about 3 inches of the stuff a few weeks ago going across Rabbit Ears pass and it was one of the scariest - trickiest crossings I have ever made. This was on RE-11's and an awd 911 turbo. When they say, "not intended for freezing temps, ice and snow, they are not BS'ing! Summer tires suck in those situations. Just my 2 cents. Have a great Thanksgving. May it be an uneventful one!

Hmmm, maybe we'll take the wife's 328xi.
Mr. B

Old 11-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
If there is just snow, go for it. If there is anything else on the road, don't go for it.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Oppty

Originally Posted by Mini George
If there is just snow, go for it. If there is anything else on the road, don't go for it.

Well, I do look for every opportunity to drive this thing, but if the weather is going to make it risky, I'll take the wife's AWD BMW.
Mr. B

Old 11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Intercity Lines.
Florida.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
T'Giving & Snow

Your skill can offset a small snow squall, so I'd say 'go for it and enjoy'. But the tire hardness issue has to be respected. Give yourself some distance, because it's the braking that'll kill, and just pull over if it gets deeper then 'a bit'.

I know people that just love to throw the rear wheel cars around in the snow. There a lot less tire wear . . .

I'm head'in north with mine in an hour; I'll definitively see snow.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
I'm the biggest proponent of driving a 911 in the snow.... WITH snow tires.

Short of that, any chance of freezing precip? Don't do it. Really.

Other drivers?..... Imagine that we were breaking up. It's not you, it's me!

Rental.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow