GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Exploding Porsche batteries - warning!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM
kevin1244 is a jewel in the roughkevin1244 is a jewel in the roughkevin1244 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BBTURBO
Guys, I understand this is an emotional issue, but it's a very low probability risk with all lead acid batteries. This really isn't a Porsche issue, it's a technology issue. You may be able to hold the battery manufacturer responsible, but trying to say this is Porsche is not fair. The battery was 4 years old. It was subject to temperature changes, multiples stints on a trickle charger, possibly an unvented environment and who knows what else. There are 10's of millions of batteries sold in cars every year. The ones that explode are an extremely low percentage and are subject to some type of external condition. If this was a significant problem across the industry it would have been on the news and in the courts by now. Someone would be suing for $10million because they were traumatized by the boom. It's unfortunate that it happened and it's aggravating that Porsche wasn't more sympathetic. I'm just surprised that your dealer wasn't more accommodating.

As a side note, I keep multiple fire extinguishers in may garage at all time. Never hurts to have one handy if your car is smoking under the hood.
I appreciate the feedback. Just because it does not happen often, it does not make it right for it to happen once in a while. With all due respect, you have no idea what condition the battery had; so your judgement of the condition of the battery at the time of failure is not rational. For all I know, the electrolyte was maintained, the car was always garaged, the battery tender was on it, and the battery had not shown any signs of aging in terms of crank A needed to start up the car. Under those conditions, why would I suspect the battery would explode or need to be replaced?! And, as I mentioned before, it is a Porsche problem because the part is sold by Porsche. Your car breaks down because the turbo charger on it breaks; turbo chargers do spin pretty fast; does it make it a technology problem or the people who designed that technology into your car?

Kevin.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kevin1244
You know guys; batteries are not supposed to explode out of the blue. I understand if the battery is dry or cooked; this might happen. But, for a well maintained battery; come on now!
Also, if with battery tender device, you had to go through all the venting and opening things to make sure nothing explodes, 1) Porsche should not sell them and 2) what's the point? After all with the battery tender you are supposed to just connect through the cigarrette lighter and done.
Further, there are devices that prevent arc (arc suppressors) and this should be part of the circuit. This is a DESIGN issue!

On another note, occasionally I cannot fill the tank to its full capacity. As it turns out, it is a vent issue with that too. Porsche cannot design proper vent tubes for batteries and fuel tanks?!! That is a joke.
The battery explosion issue is a build up of hydrogen gas that doesn't get properly vented properly. Several members of the board have had this issue. I keep mine on a Porsche tender/charger but open the hood and battery cover for a few minutes prior to starting if the car has been sitting longer than a week. The gas tank fill issue is caused by flooding of the evap canister and is covered under the emission control warranty which is longer than the basic PCNA warranty. Mine was replaced no charge after the basic warranty had expired.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 04-05-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
most car makers will warranty the battery on a new car for 1 year..
problem with using a battery tender is your cooking the battery all the time..
If you do some research I think you would find that this problem is more likely to happen.
with people who use a battery tender..people who have a car as a DD and don't use one
i bet it happens alot less frequent...
and unless the dealer just put that battery in your car with in the past year, I don't see them doing much..if its the original battery it would be way out of warranty.

Cars that sit the tires will start to crack.nobody to blame for that problem Just happens with lack of use.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM
kevin1244 is a jewel in the roughkevin1244 is a jewel in the roughkevin1244 is a jewel in the rough
If the battery had simply died, which is supposed to happen, I would agree that PCNA is not responsible and I would not be upset or posting anything!
If Porsche batteries are supposed to explode (even though a small percentage of them) at the end of life; then I would say PCNA needs to look into it and take responsibility. My other cars go through the same procedure with battery tender and everything; none of them have had exploding batteries!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
if it's soooo rare, why have this many people in the thread seen of it? never really heard of this happening in my short life

Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
pfan12000 will become famous soon enoughpfan12000 will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear of this mishap. Like others have said, you should just replace the lead acid battery with an Odyssey battery. Never need to worry about explosion again. Your car's comprehensive insurance should cover damage to your car due to exploding battery. The Li ion batteries are still too new and I've been wary of putting those batteries in my car (since lithium batteries in laptops have commonly been known to be catching fire due to defects in manufacturing-leading to laptop recalls, etc.)

Old 04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Unfortunately this is not uncommon for an overcharged battery. The hydrogen gas that is produced gets trapped and easily set off by an electrical spark.
QFT, this is an issue with Lead Acid batteries not Porsche

Old 08-02-2016, 07:48 PM
freejumper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy
QFT, this is an issue with Lead Acid batteries not Porsche
Mine grenaded in my hands today,,, original OEM Porsche battery and could have been a serious injury,,,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	455176  
Old 08-03-2016, 07:40 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Use sealed batteries. They have been around for years and no need for a vent tube. Available in lead acid or AGM.