GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Question regarding purchasing a GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 PM
dayABR11 is on a distinguished road
Question regarding purchasing a GT3

Hello, this is my first post on here. Hopefully I get some good info to help me make an educated decision.

So I'm looking at 2 GT3's.

2010 - Blue, Front lift, engine mounts, bucket seats, sound package, PCCBs, oddly no ipod connector
13,500 miles.

Negotiated down to 104k.

Are the engine mounts a valuable option? Are the PCCB's worthwhile? I've found research indicating that many GT3 trackers take them off or don't even get that option. Is 13k miles considered a lot of the GT3? If I added another 13k miles and it sits at 26k in a couple of years would that really hurt resale?

The second one

2010 - White, adaptive sport seats, PCCB, Navi, sound package, ipod connector, adaptive headlights

7k miles

This one is being discounted a bit due to the rear end having been hit. It looks good now. Owner says it was due to backing into something and had to replace the bumper and the passenger taillight, but that was it. Should I stay away from this? It is being discount now, but how much should it be? How bad will it affect my resale?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:27 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on making the jump. You won't regret it. Almost every day, I find an excuse to drive it and it gives me a big sh&t eating grin.

What will you be doing with the car? Mostly street? Mostly track? If a lot of track, the buckets are very highly prized and a mod most track rats will do. Also impacts whether the PCCB's are an asset or not. Personally, I feel if you're going to track a lot, they're a liability due to high replacement cost. If you're going to be on street most of the time, they would be great. Regardless, replacement steel rotors and pads will run about $3K so it's not that bad whichever way you go.

Regarding mileage, many would say 26K is a lot of miles on a GT3. I wouldn't but realize it's going to cost you a premium when time comes to sell. If the cars you're looking at are CPO, that would be beneficial since whoever buys next has the assurance of a longer factory warranty. When I was running scenarios regarding residual values, I checked Manheim for 2007 cars with 30K miles. Current values are around $70K wholesale so you can get a decent idea what your car would be worth then assuming the 991 isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and doesn't decimate the residuals. Crap shoot but I'm going to guess it will be another incremental improvement on the cars overall design.

For damage, two things to think about: 1. how bad was the damage and how well was it and the repair documented. For me to even consider the car, I'd want full photographic documentation of the damage and repair. Short of that, I'd walk. Too many good cars out there. 2. Assuming you have #1, the price MUST reflect the reduced value to be considered. That accident will always follow the car and will command a lower price upon sale.

Best of luck and hope you find the right car.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 AM
ChrisEVO,

Thanks for the reply.

The car would see light track duty - only have time for 3-5 a year.

For a minor accident, how much lower should the pricing be? That's one of those things that edmunds and kbb don't really have in their price formulations.

Last edited by dayABR11; 08-13-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
I have not driven one with the engine mounts, so I cannot say anything there.
My car is spec'd like the white one. I run 3, maybe 4 DE's a year with this one. I do a lot more mountain road drives, (and drive to the track when I go). All the tech stuff, is a real treat for that. Along with heated seats that can adjust with the push of a button. Road trips are a blast. The PCCB's are hard to beat for me. No brake dust really. I love all that alcantara as well.
Like every other owner, the drive train, handling, sound, looks and overall feel are what makes the car for me.
If the white one only had no damage under the bumper cover, it would be my pick. You cannot go wrong either way, 2 winners. A color and use dependent choice.
You will love which ever one you buy.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dayABR11
ChrisEVO,

Thanks for the reply.

The car would see light track duty - only have time for 3-5 a year.

For a minor accident, how much lower should the pricing be? That's one of those things that edmunds and kbb don't really have in their price formulations.
Depends on the extent of damage and how thorough the documentation of the event (or lack thereof). My guess would be between $5-10K.

Also, I would highly recommend the Rennlist 997 GT3 forum as it is much more active than here. It's where I go when I need info

Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
jgorscak is on a distinguished road
Are you planning to track the car?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Bobby G is on a distinguished road
I agree with Chris's comments. I cannot comment on the engine mounts, but have heard from those who have them that they are important (as is the front lift). Check in with the RList crowd.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the second one because of re-sale. You may go into this thinking that you won't resell it, but you're really handicapping yourself in the event that life (or another new car) forces a sale. There are many nice examples out there. Not worth the $10K discount IMO unless you absolutely cannot swing the extra $10K and want the .2 over a clean .1.

As to the blue one, the price is fairly decent. Does it have a CPO? Tire condition? Do you like the color? I really like its options. That must have been a $135K+ MSRP car. Heck, you could probably sell the bucket seats for a few grand + a trade for stock GT3 seats to recoup some additional money!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Congrats on your search and HOLD ON ONE SECOND. I know the white GT3 you are referring to. I inquired about purchasing this car a few months back and was told a different story about the extent and cause of the damage to the rear.

It is possible that when I spoke to the owner the accident had just occured and he was not aware of the severity of the damage but proceed with caution as I mentioned above, I was told a different story.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Former Vendor
TitanMotorsport is on a distinguished road
I'll echo what is being said about the damage, especially now that someone else mentions hearing a different story about the same car. One of the original replys was spot on: there are too many good cars out there to buy one with an uncertain damage history.

If there are extensive photos, and a detailed receipt from a reputable body shop for the work that was done to the car (and I would call them to verify), and after that your still feel like the damage was insignificant, then you are in good shape to make an offer on the car. But as much as I like white Porsches, I'd likely walk away from that one.

The PCCBs will be an expensive option if you're going to put the car onto the track a few times per year, and because I come from the racetrack mentality, I would say they're unnessecary. The bucket seats are choice though.

Check out rennlist and renntrack.com (independent, dedicated Porsche track forum). Good luck on your decision.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
The Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to behold
ok, ill give my 2 cents as I just purchased a .2 GT3.

First off, if you worried about resale, you've got the wrong car. Enjoy the car, drive it like it was meant to be driven, and just take care of it. 13k miles is not crazy high, but not low either. Dump the PCCB's when you purchase the car. You can sell them for 5k, and buy PFC steel rotors for 2k. In my opinion, when you resell it, buyers will understand when explained on the rotor swap. If you do DE events, then you will appreciate the DEM kit. It really keeps the back end stable, and helps the infamous 2-3 shift problem quite well. The lift kit is so funny. Almost no one (including me) would ever order it, but now that I have it, I freaking love it. I never scratch anywhere, and it is such a nice thing to have.

Only thing I would offer on the price is you can do better on offer. I purchased a 2010 with 13k miles, PCCB, CPO for 100k. Wholesale on that car is 88k for dealers. Stand firm! Hope this helps....

Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
4 months ago I made the jump from a turbo cab to an 11 RS. 104 for a gt3 sounds fair. 13k miles is a little high. Personally I stayed away from the PCCB brakes. Sure they weigh a lot less but cost 12k to replace. Also, I know of two RS's with PCCB with pagid pads that under heavy track use the brakes frose on them and totalled their cars. I dont want to mention who but if you want more info and I can put you in touch with bothh.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
How many people DD their GT3's? I just bought a Turbo, but always wondered if the GT3's could be driven this way. The salesperson discouraged me from purchasing one. I also have never driven on myself.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
Two totally different cars. I had an 08 turbo cab and now have an 11 RS. Technically you could drive a gt3 as a daily. However, if it will trully be a daily you may get sick of the bucket seat and in that case I would get the sport adaptive seats. That way you could totally drive it every day and on the track. I wanted the bucket seats cause I drive my RS 80% of the time on the track. The seast are awesome but not for every day.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by eurotom
Congrats on your search and HOLD ON ONE SECOND. I know the white GT3 you are referring to. I inquired about purchasing this car a few months back and was told a different story about the extent and cause of the damage to the rear.

It is possible that when I spoke to the owner the accident had just occured and he was not aware of the severity of the damage but proceed with caution as I mentioned above, I was told a different story.
Thanks for the heads up. With that in mind I ended up turning both cars down. After talking with my wife we went in a totally different direction... Got a GTR now. I really liked the rawness of the GT3, but wife persuaded me that 1) both cars are not exactly what I want 2) the white one is close but fishy 3) its cold where we live so all weathers on the GTR would mean year round drivability as opposed to the GT3 and 4) she said the clutch was too difficult for her to use... Yeah I copped out on that, but for the price difference we're getting a home theater.

So the white one is still out there kinda fishy like. The blue one at Porsche of Conshohoken is still for sale and at a decent price - I negotiated down to 104k and when I told the sales man I ended up pulling the trigger on a GTR, he turned around and offered 100k flat. Not sure if that's a deal someone wants, but just FYI.

Last edited by dayABR11; 08-17-2011 at 10:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question regarding purchasing a GT3