GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Hello! New guy here... (Considering GT3)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 AM
VAUROS is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello! New guy here... (Considering GT3)

I'm new to the forum and I have something I want to get an opinion/guidance on. I've never owned a Porsche but I have owned several sports cars in my lifetime; some cars include M3's, GTR's, GTO, Nismo Z, etc. Among those cars I had both manual trans and sequential gearbox. After owning two GTR's (2012 BE and 2013 Prem), I don't feel like I can go backwards in power and performance and I don't want another GTR.

It has always been a goal to one day own a Porsche, but not just any Porsche, a GT3. I had considered getting a used 997 GT3 at one point about 5 years ago, but didn't feel I was ready for that car. Then, Porsche launched the 991 GT3 and I instantly feel in love with it. I'm not technically ready to buy one today, but my goal is to get one within the next 12 months. Now, I know the 2nd gen 991 GT3 is imminent and that will potentially have an affect on the used market for the 991 GT3.1. So, here are my questions:

1. Should I buy a used GT3 or wait until I can get a new one?
2. If used, which model year? 2015 or 2016? Certified or non-certified? What's the max I should pay for one?
3. How long will it take to get acclimated to a GT3 based on the previous cars I've owned?
4. Are maintenance costs similar to a GTR or more/less expensive?
5. Any known issues with the PDK in the current GT3?

Laatly, what type of treatment can I expect from Porsche dealers' considering that I'm not an existing customer and have never owned a Porsche?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 AM
VAUROS is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess everyone is too busy driving their GTx cars

Must be nice

Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Hi there,

1. Should I buy a used GT3 or wait until I can get a new one?
I would look for a used one since no more .1 are being made
2. If used, which model year? 2015 or 2016? Certified or non-certified? What's the max I should pay for one?
Not likely you'll find many at dealers so look to private sellers and save dealer mark up. These will still be under factory warranty .
3. How long will it take to get acclimated to a GT3 based on the previous cars I've owned?
These cars are amazing you don't really drive you sort of aim it. It is amazingly compliant on the road and comfortable for a high performance race oriented car.
They are low so consider the the from spoiler an expendable item (about $250 )lift or no lift.
4. Are maintenance costs similar to a GTR or more/less expensive?
Maintenance is minimal
5. Any known issues with the PDK in the current GT3?
PDK is rock solid and a joy to drive.

Laatly, what type of treatment can I expect from Porsche dealers' considering that I'm not an existing customer and have never owned a Porsche?
Depends on dealer

Elliot

Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM
orthofrancis is an unknown quantity at this point
Maintenance costs I would say will be likely much, much more than a GTR - especially if you are using a dealer, or independent shop to do the work.

Go look on suncoast or pelican parts for brake rotors and compare them to the cost of the GTR. I also have a feeling that the expendable stuff on the GT3's are more expensive, and don't last as long (tires, brake pads, etc). If you're using your previous cars, and the GT3 on the track mostly - then likely not much difference.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
1. Should I buy a used GT3 or wait until I can get a new one? Buy used it will be impossible to get a good price on new for at minimum a year IMO.
2. If used, which model year? 2015 or 2016? Certified or non-certified? What's the max I should pay for one?Just avoid 2014. They are susceptible to engine problems. Early 15 maybe as well. G series motor is best
3. How long will it take to get acclimated to a GT3 based on the previous cars I've owned?2 miles
4. Are maintenance costs similar to a GTR or more/less expensive?I believe this is WAY less. I have a P owner friend that used to have GTR's and he said it was expensive. Porsche's are not bad, relative.
5. Any known issues with the PDK in the current GT3?Not the PDK but the motor as mentioned above

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.