GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Which

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:54 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Which model GT3 is most reliable....

Since I just sold my CTT, am now on for the search for a GT3. I was leaning towards an 07 and had a great opportunity to pick one up with 38K miles (I don't mind the mileage so long as I know the owner, how well it was taken care of, etc) and I plan to drive it as often as I can. BUT, seeing as I've owned two 997.1's (A modified Turbo and a Carrera S), my wife suggested why not go for a 991.1 GT3.

Now, here's my question, and I haven't found a recent article discussing / comparing the pro's and con's of each model year from 996, two gen's of 997, current 991 and the new gen 2 991 coming out this year.

Seeing as the 991's have engine reliability concerns, "finger follower" issues as I've heard stated, I'm now a little concerned and leary of the long term viability of owning a 991 UNLESS it is still under factory warranty or CPO'd.

That being the case, would love to be educated by fellow GT3 owners on their thoughts. I know the Metzger dry sump engines of the 997.1 (07-08's) which I believe also were in the 996's are tanks on the track and pretty no frills, but again would love to get a take from all the experts who own, have owned or are thinking to own any generation GT3.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this is an educational thread for more than just me......

Last edited by boochook; 06-02-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
The GT3 irrespective of whether it is 997 or 991 are "limit" cars. The 997 has the coolant pipe issue, the 991 has the finger follower and cam lobe issues. I am confident that Porsche will continue to back their flagship cars for any design defects. For example, they are stepping up to either rebuild the valve train or replace engines where necessary. There are now three engine series since 2014 GT3 was introduced. The last series (G) is the same engine as is in the RS with a slightly smaller bore and stroke.
The main issue is not what is the best, but where you are in the process. There are 2014 and 2015 models that have the second series engine and 2016 has the third.
My advice to any prospective GT3 owner is to research, research and do some more research. There is a ton of info out on all these cars.

Good luck in your search.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.