GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Ugly Porsche Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Formerly 04ImolaZHP
InfamousD is on a distinguished road
this is a bit of a side note but i had service experiences twice with two different Porsche dealerships - and both have been horrible. The only worse experience i can think of was at Mitsubishi. (BMW service overall is miles better than Porsche.) the last time i was in for service the guy spent about 2 minutes explaining to me how many different possible reasons and things the warranty does not cover and how i will have to pay for the diagnosis if the they find out that the faulty item is not covered under warranty. I was like, dude, “you have not even looked at the car yet, why are you telling me all this?”

After finally pulling up the record of the car and looking at it, he went on to tell me that because the battery was discharged at some point in the past, that may have screwed up the computer on the car and if that is the case, none of this is being covered under warranty. I proceeded to ask "well, isn't the battery covered under warranty?" And he tells me "not unless you drive the car 33 miles a day or 1000 mi. per month." And here comes the kicker, (which totally floored me) he followed the last sentence by, "but if you would have bought the car new, the salesman would have explained this to you."

Like WTF???? I am somehow a lesser being for not buying my car new???? I never buy new cars. It is just my philosophy in car ownership. This isn’t BMW where the service is prepaid and I would be stupid to go some place else. This is Porsche and I choose to go service the car there. In my opinion, I should have my ballz licked for taking a $100k car in for service at the dealership as opposed to getting my ballz smashed.

I am actually seriously reconsidering purchasing a Boxster s because of these experiences. Also, one of the big reasons I sold my essentially brand new Eclipse was because of the service experience I had with them.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Formerly 04ImolaZHP
Originally Posted by rr4
racerjsz,

I understand your point, but I don't get how or why or how you would even get away with turning away service business if the boat wasn't bought at your store. That doesn't make sense either.
i am with you on this one - ; why would you want to turn away service?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
mishref will become famous soon enough
I would buy another GT3-RS and do donuts in their parking lot.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Formerly 04ImolaZHP
Originally Posted by mishref
I would buy another GT3-RS and do donuts in their parking lot.

haha, now that would be !

Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
CLS
CLS will become famous soon enoughCLS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 04ImolaZHP
i am with you on this one - ; why would you want to turn away service?
IMHO this is why there is a growing, and I appreciated it, independent market out there, I haven't been to a dealer since my last bad experience. I have after market warranty that doesn't care where the car is serviced for warranty items, liked the cracked coolant tank. In the long run they benefited as well since the cost was less then the dealer.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vishnus11
A poor dealership experience shouldn't diminish the value of the brand. A GT3 RS is a GT3 RS - find another dealer and move on.
you ahve a better chace of finding a virgin than a gt3rs just by walking into a dealership without a markup.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cnc
You are almost correct,

Steven's Creek is currently one of the better Dealerships and Carlsen is the one that SUCKS.

I'd walk before I would buy another car from Carlsen (after buying a lot of them).

We all have different experiences and should go with what works for us.
CNC I will say that your experience is not the norm with Carlsen. I'm not sure if you just got one bad apple so to speak, which is a shame because most of the guys that work there that I know personally are really good people.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:56 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sharkster
CNC I will say that your experience is not the norm with Carlsen. I'm not sure if you just got one bad apple so to speak, which is a shame because most of the guys that work there that I know personally are really good people.
i agree. i got my cayenne S from there 2.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Didn't read the whole thing so someone may have already suggested this, but contact Peter S. (President of PCNA) here: pschwarzenbauer@porschecars.com
I have emailed him and he has always responded and done his best to help!!
Evan

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
onetwo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CyE55
In any business where you deal with people, especially retail, and high dollar retail it's never a good idea to show your frustration or disrespect the client/customer.

$50,000 is a lot of money, and the dealer knows that he can get the $50,000 from someone, on top of that, you have the built in $20,000 or so profit that the MSRP has included in it. So we're talking about $70,000.

Then there's the money that the dealer could have made on the initial sale of the non-RS GT3, figure conservatively around $10,000, then the re-sale of the non-RS GT3, around $5000.

So let's try to think what the dealer's thinking. He's thinking that he lost $15,000 in profit because you didn't buy a non-RS GT3 from him, when you decided that an RS was not for you. Then you sold the non-RS GT3 and didn't even let him have a shot at selling it for you. Now that you regret your choice of not buying the RS, you're coming back to him asking if he can have an RS. Did the dealer know at the time that you had bought and re-sold the GT3 when you went in asking for an RS?

At any rate, then the hot headed SM gets hot under the collar and thinks that he's lost $15,000 or so in profit already to someone who doesn't appreciate what they do, and so there's no way he's going to give up another $50,000, because who's to say you won't go and sell that RS and pocket the $50,000 yourself?

Mind you, I'm just saying that's what he's thinking, not saying anything about you. What is not acceptable in any business is to get bent out of shape with a client, there are much more diplomatic ways of expressing dissatisfaction or disappointment than threatening a client, because for sure you're not going to get any more business.

Anyway, just my .02, sometimes these dealers, or sales people of any product, forget that their livelihood comes from people who buy their widgets, take sports stars for example, they think their #$% don't stink just because they make a TON of money. Not realizing where that money comes from. But I digress.

Cyrus
This is it in a nutshell.

The dealer should've been more courteous and straightforward, but business is business. When talking about loyalty, remember that you went elsewhere for both sides of the GT3 non-RS deal.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by racerjsz
We owned a Sea Ray Dealership for 40 years and occasionally we had customers that we bent over backwards for who would go buy a boat elsewhere to save a few grand. Then get pissed off and raise hell when we wouldn't service his boat.
Racer, to me, that's horrible business practice. First of all, why did they go to another dealership and buy a boat that they could have bought from you? To save a few grand? Well, I would also. If you are an agent for Sea Ray (or in the case of this dealership, Porsche) then I'm sure if you offered the same deal to your customer, they wouldn't have gone elsewhere, or maybe just maybe you didn't have exactly what they were looking for and they were FORCED to go elsewhere in order to get what they want. Say I want a red car with Navigation but you don't have a red car w/Nav, should I buy the blue one without Navigation simply to make YOU happy? I am the one who has to live with the car daily. Now for you to hold the grudge against me by refusing to service my car because I went elsewhere to get something that you couldn't provide for me seems pretty unfair on your part. Plus, this is business and rather than hold a grudge and cutting me off as a customer, wouldn't it make a bit more sense to provide me with such great service that I will always look to you first to provide me with the car that I want. So obviously I'm going back and forth between the car/boat analogy but why get pissed over a few grand and prevent yourself from future sales which should amount to more than just "a few grand" simply because I bought something that you couldn't provide. Maybe my next purchase is a huge order item with all the extras which is you really make your money on. A customer can go anywhere that sells the product you provide and has many options, it's very difficult for a business to drum up a loyal customer who will come back time and again for high dollar purchases, so maybe you "missed the boat" (Always wanted to use that pun) this time, but when the customer is in for a service visit, you tell them to please give you the opportunity to meet or beat anyone elses price before making a purchase in the future since you have a good repore. Not to mention, if you ONLY service boats that are bought through your dealership, then that's bad business practice and you'll find your service dept. operating in the red in a very short time. See my point? It's a simple "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" situation.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by carreragt558
Carlsen Porsche continues to enjoy a top national reputation, and we are extremely proud that we are one of only twenty-two Porsche Premier dealers in North America (the honor of being a Porsche Premier Dealer is earned principally by the ratingins our customers give us in our sales and in our service departments).

This **** comes from their website
Is that how the survey works. I know my salesman at any dealership is always concerned about the damn survey. One dealer even had the salesman deliver the survey to my office. I am not trying to be negative in any way.

Aloha

Byron

Old 05-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Formerly 04ImolaZHP
haha, yeah, the surveys get these guys very excited. i was going to one bmw dealer for years and over my last year of experience there, they could not fix anything right. so i finally stopped giving them 5's on everything and gave them like 3's (which was still pretty good for the job they did).

a week later my SA calls me and practically yells at me for not giving him a five. i explained to him that they have not been able to service and fix my cars properly for a long time and i finally gave them their fair rating. he went off on my some more and as a result, i never went back.

i guess in his mind he probably did the right thing. but he failed to realize that now another SA at a different dealership (which was able to correct all the problems on my cars that the fist could not) is enjoying my business for over a year. As I am a very loyal customer, if he would have approached the situation properly, he would probably still have me as a customer. But because he felt that it was somehow my fault that his tech's could not fix the car, he no longer gets to see me.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:48 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Service biz, yes, but warranty work where you lose money for a boat sold at a dealership that won't pay for good help or deliver vessels that have been rigged properly and tested is a bad and expensive idea. Don't you think it makes good business sense to put your own customers first. Also, why should we have had to clean up someone elses mistakes. Just trying to make a point about the value of service. We had the highest customer satisfaction index in the country for a number of years. We did it by caring and having the best people on our payroll. That's why in some cases I couldn't match a price, my overhead was higher. You have to pay for the service. We took fantastic care of OUR customers and offered very competative prices. They loved us and were very saddened when we sold to a public company. If someone choses to save 1-2%, hell even 5%, by going to a dealer they know won't (or can't) take care of them then that should be factored into their decision. Case in point, I buy my Porsche stuff from my service guys at GTPerformance or Motomodz. I know I can go on the net and save a few bucks but I am loyal to the people that take care of me. These guys are great and deserve that loyalty.

My point is that its not all about the lowest cost. Best value and lowest cost rarely go hand in hand.

ScottKelly, what line of work are you in?

Last edited by racerjsz; 05-18-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I bought a Rover from one dealer and had it serviced closer to where I work. They were so good to me that when I went shopping for a DB9 I decided to buy from them because of the good past experiences.

I am still dealing with the same service writer I worked with in 98. This builds a trusted relationship which makes the dealer money in the long run.

A dealer who treats a potential customer badly will wonder why another dealer has all the business when things get a little tight. Service always pays dividends in the long run. Treat people fairly and equally and you will never be lacking for paying customers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ugly Porsche Experience