GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Feedback - should I trade my 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Atl996 is on a distinguished road
Question Feedback - should I trade my 996

I currently have an 2003 996 and have been lusting for a GT3. However it is a stretch from a financial standpoint I am not sure I want to make. I only plan on limited track use, but I do plan on using it on the track. Just a few questions for those in who own one:

1. Performance and ride that much greater then a stock 03 996 C2 ?

2. Will it cost much more to maintain down the road then a standard 996?

3. I understand the engine and tranny decended from the racetrack, have they proven durable over a period of time?

4. Are the Ceramic Brakes worth the $$$?

5. Will this be the classic icon the 72/73 RS is 20 to 30 years from now?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:40 PM
KarlS is on a distinguished road
I didn't have a 2003 996 but I did have a well prepared 1999 996 with a great suspension, GT3 brakes, seats, etc., so I'll answer your question based on that:

1. Performance is way better than a stock 996. Brakes, handling, and power are all significantly improved over the stock car. A C2 with X51 and a serious aftermarket suspension would be closer.

2. Maintenance shouldn't be any worse than a standard 996 but realize if you track the car you will go through consumables like brake pads and tires more quickly. You'll also want to do more frequently fluid changes. But this is true for any car, not just the GT3. The GT3 is pretty easy to work on, so most of this can be a DIY.

3. Yes.

4. No, IMHO, especially if you plan to track the car. Rotors are much more expensive than the steel versions and you will wear them out in tracking the car. One estimate is 1500 track miles. Replacement rotors are around $8K.

5. Who knows? Drive it and enjoy it.

Karl

Old 08-12-2003, 12:07 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
karl nails it.

i would add that your car is light years behind a gt3. you won't regret stretching for one!!!!!

i like pccb and altho;' i chose to keep the gt2 and sell the gt3, it has them and they work great. i do not however track alot but i do high speed race and run and love them. rick perkins, honcho grande of pcna reports only ONE pccb problem at all with 1 gt2 where car & driver? set out to ruin them on the track and succeeded, thats it. so the problems they boys in europe claimed are not happening here.

for sale [note brakes are wrong in this photoshop of my car]:

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
Re: Feedback - should I trade my 996

Here's my opinion...

1. Not enough different to warrant the tremendous financial loss you'll suffer by trading in your vehicle so soon.

2. Cost will probably be slightly less since there is a reduced complexity brought on by the lack of turbochargers.

3. Probably more durable than what exists in your TT... but I'll claim this doesn't matter since both are likely to outlast how long you'll own the car.

4. From everything I've read; no. But from the coolness factor and perhaps from a collectibility standpoint; I'd say yes.

5. Depends on how many are produced... most likely not but certainly more likely than the turbo you own.

BTW... I own a 2003 996TT and wouldn't trade it for a GT3 for anything. There is something about the stance of the turbo, the air intakes for the intercoolers, the intercooler outlets... that just screams performance and speed. The GT3 looks like someone bolted on some stuff to a C4... Yawwwwwnnnnnnn.

I say; keep your Turbo and save your money for a GT1... this is the car you really want from the tone of your questions

Cheers,

Joe West

Originally posted by Atl996
I currently have an 2003 996 and have been lusting for a GT3. However it is a stretch from a financial standpoint I am not sure I want to make. I only plan on limited track use, but I do plan on using it on the track. Just a few questions for those in who own one:

1. Performance and ride that much greater then a stock 03 996 C2 ?

2. Will it cost much more to maintain down the road then a standard 996?

3. I understand the engine and tranny decended from the racetrack, have they proven durable over a period of time?

4. Are the Ceramic Brakes worth the $$$?

5. Will this be the classic icon the 72/73 RS is 20 to 30 years from now?

Thanks in advance for your time.