Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 Gt3 Brake Squeak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Brandon is infamous around these parts
I just braked firmly from 100mph to around 40mph about 6 times in a row. And the squeek went away. If it comes back you can just do it again. It does help to have an open freeway =)

Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brandon
I just braked firmly from 100mph to around 40mph about 6 times in a row. And the squeek went away. If it comes back you can just do it again. It does help to have an open freeway =)

Works for me every time! I now have 10757 miles! The only time they make any noise is when I have to go into the city and they have those damn stop lights every block. If it doesn't work when braking from 100 mph, try 150!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey ralph... hope you can make it september 22nd?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 PM
NeverFastEnough is infamous around these parts
Above about 15-20 mph mine are quiet, but get below that speed and they squeal away. It gets some weird sideways glances and then stares from some other drivers and pedestrians.

Sometimes, as I approach intersections, I try to vary the pressure on the brake pedal to see if I can squeal out a tune!

Mine has steel brakes and about 600 miles on it.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
hey ralph... hope you can make it september 22nd?

Do can do Alex! Linda just reminded me we have to attend a wedding for our Main Man Scotty from "Boulevard" in Sonoma on the 22nd. I was looking forward to being with you guys that weekend.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brandon
LOL wow, 100-40 6 times in a row!? Did you have a lot of brake dust after?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 AM
YSS
YSS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mooty
the factory pad ususally are quiet. if not, re-bed them.
and they really are useless on track.

aftermkt pagid RS19, 29, 14 etc are great on track but squeal like pigs. you have to rebed them every 800-1000 street miles. but after re-bedding or track driving, they will be quiet for another 800-1000 miles.
which pagids would you recommend for track use?

most stops from 3rd to 2nd (if that helps) with 2 straights that top 4th

Old 08-16-2007, 07:18 AM
slykmr is infamous around these parts
On my past cars and on my 997TT the squeak is always a sign that it is time to hit up one of those self wash places. Not essentially pressure washing your car but at the same time the water pressure is enough to clean off the caliper, rotor etc. and the squeal is always gone afterwards. Just my .02.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Brandon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz
LOL wow, 100-40 6 times in a row!? Did you have a lot of brake dust after?
Yes you will definetly have some brake dust. You want the brakes smoking .

Old 10-12-2007, 01:46 AM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
anyone still getting brake squeals after all that "bedding"? mine squeals if i come to a slow stop. quite embarassing when people start looking at you. if i do a hard stop then it doesn't squeal. i tried bedding it earlier this evening going from 60-10mph, 10 times. the squeal went away and i thought it's gone for good but after a few traffic light stops, it's back again. should i bed it again or are there other tricks to it?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Spidermonkey is infamous around these parts
No brake squealing here....You're not driving the car hard enough. The only time I've ever heard it was after using the GT3 as "basic" transportation for a few days in a row. Drive it like it was meant to be driven and you won't have this problem. If the car is just basic transportation for you then maybe you should switch to a different pad.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:07 AM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
there must not be traffic where you live! i'm not sure how "hard enough" one can drive in stop-n-go traffic.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:50 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speedoflight
anyone still getting brake squeals after all that "bedding"? mine squeals if i come to a slow stop. quite embarassing when people start looking at you. if i do a hard stop then it doesn't squeal. i tried bedding it earlier this evening going from 60-10mph, 10 times. the squeal went away and i thought it's gone for good but after a few traffic light stops, it's back again. should i bed it again or are there other tricks to it?

Its so funny you brought this thread back because i was going to today as well! My brakes have been squaling a lot. But about 2 weeks ago i did about 5 or 6 hard stop from about 60mph and just slammed on the brakes. After that the squaling was gone...... Till today! I did a fair amount of driving, and notice it only squeals once they have been used, say in city driving when they get a bit warm. Well the car was squealing like crazy today, it is so loud i cannot even desccribe it. Every traffic light i pull up to every one turns there head looking where the sound came from. I was even approacing a 4 was internection and stopping and people who were walking on the sidewalk 4 lanes away on the other side of the road were turning their heads. It sounds like a freight train coming to a stop if not louder. Mine seems to me more then just a squeal, its a loud high pitched grinding sound.

So on my way home i was on the highway and the exit ramp was completely empty with no cars in sight front or back. So i slammed on the brakes from 80-0. Then i went to an empty road and did 4 more hard brakes from 50-0 in a row. The squaling was gone! I get home and pull up to my driveway, and it guess what! It was squealing again! If this keeps up much longer i will have to bring it to the dealer, it is just to loud, i never heard anything like this.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
My PCCBs squeal a bit after autocross, but not till I get close to home. Not very loud though.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 AM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mooty
the factory pad ususally are quiet. if not, re-bed them.
and they really are useless on track.

aftermkt pagid RS19, 29, 14 etc are great on track but squeal like pigs. you have to rebed them every 800-1000 street miles. but after re-bedding or track driving, they will be quiet for another 800-1000 miles.
Mooty and Spidermonkey are right - you have to use the brakes, not baby them. I have Pagid RS29's now, and they have all the same characteristics as the stock pads. They will start squealing if you are not using them hard enough. Thats just the way it is. . .

Last edited by lawjdc; 10-12-2007 at 08:41 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Gt3 Brake Squeak