GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

toasted steel rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 09:12 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
toasted steel rotors

fred reported that the rotors on my artic gt3 he bought at 4700 are toast at 5500, and Noels' are pretty cracked around 5K.

is everyone else experiencing poor steel rotor wear?

Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Grand Pumba
Mr. RS is on a distinguished road
3 guys here have severe cracks after 3 track days and approx 1200 miles, Looks like they are going to have them replaced.

Maybe the Ceramics were a good idea....

P

Old 04-20-2004, 10:06 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Mr. RS
3 guys here have severe cracks after 3 track days and approx 1200 miles, Looks like they are going to have them replaced.

Maybe the Ceramics were a good idea....

P
i think they are for hard street use and occaisional tracking, except for abrupt/abs type brakers...

fred is getting one free set of steel from porsche... but that wont continue.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:06 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Guess hard braking on the track makes rotors, either type, a readily consumable item...eek!!! High temps must really stress the steel ones...Perhaps to cup car brake cooling ducts make sense for track work if they do in fact force more air over the rotors and keep rotor temps down as compared to the stock air ducts...

Old 04-20-2004, 11:09 AM
MetalSolid will become famous soon enough
I think the 996 rotors in general are a cheaper item than on the 993 - like almost everything else. If Porsche can't make a decent rotor I'll look else where, like Brembo...

Old 04-21-2004, 03:55 PM
thusly is on a distinguished road
GT-3 Steel Rotors

When I went to Rupert Lewin's in England and drove their GT-3s, I noticed that they were using floating hat rotors. Rupert had been experiencing excessive heat build up in the standard GT-3 rotors (Mk 1). They have since improved the cooling to the rotors and installed floating hats that supposedly dissipate heat more efficiently.

FWIW - on Rupert's race GT-2, Brembo Le Mans set-up with 15" slotted rotors were used.

In all the above instances, the GT-3 and GT-2 braking forces were tremendous (at least at Brands Hatch and by pro drivers) and no issues of cracking were evident.

Are slotted rotors available for the GT-3 through Porsche Motorsports?

Old 04-21-2004, 04:28 PM
AdamB is on a distinguished road
Can you install steel rotors while still utilizing the calipers that come with the PCCB? Or do you need to switch to the red calipers that come with the steel rotors?

Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
macfly is on a distinguished road

Thusly, are you in contact with him, it would be great to get the info on his floating discs.

The Brembo floating discs that go with their Big Red kit are 15lbs, yes, a full 15 lbs lighter, on each corner! Sadly I don't think they are a direct replacement for our cars (yet).

I know Alcon do make a slotted, floating disc set with an aluminum hat that is an exact replacement for the PCCB discs, you just swap the discs & pads, and it's done. I am not sure if they are a straight swap for our steel rotors as yet.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Question?

wattster.

were the "cracks" out to the radial edge? my ruf car always has rotor cracks but never connects the dots or goes to the radial edge,since i change before that. your orr 993tt with the cryo rotors should wear mo-betta!

r

Old 04-21-2004, 07:23 PM
r,

fred and the others will have to answer - on noel's i remember non to the outside edge? noel?

Old 04-21-2004, 08:25 PM
thusly is on a distinguished road
GT-3 Floating hats

From what I recall, Rupert has PSI Motorsports in the UK set-up his GT-2 and GT-3 cars. Can't recall the website and I have it bookmarked on a computer I don't have access. When I did have that website, there was a brakes section that, while it did not show details as to the brake set-ups, there was an upgrade GT-3 brake kit that was being sold. Rupert also mentioned that PSI had developed special cooling ducts for the GT-3.

The cracks on my front rotors extended radially from the center hub - none connected, although a number of them were in excess of 1/4" long. When I purchased the car from Watt, he was careful to note that there were no rotor cracks. Since I had purchased the car, I haven't tracked it, and have only done some spirited driving in the mountains and in the canyons. There were a couple times whereby I broke pretty hard (and late) after a straightaway and a couple of times, triggered the ABS. After less than 700 miles after purchasing from Watt, rotors cracks were readily visible and prevalent.

One other noteworthy comment: immediately after my purchase, I switched from the PS2s to MPSC tires. There is a huge difference in handling and performance between the tires. Question to the group - could the higher levels of grip, combined with relatively hard braking a couple of times cause the rotor cracks? The change in tires is the only physical variable between Watt's and my ownership (ok, besides a realignment whereby the original set-up was way out of spec), aside from how Watt or I brake. I am not particularly hard on brakes and I don't believe Watt is as well.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:52 PM
MetalSolid will become famous soon enough
No cracks on the outer edge, if there were it's time for immediate replacement.