Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RS over Mercedes Black series?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
GT3 RS over Mercedes Black series?

For street use, and considering only performance (not looks or rareness) does anyone see why someone would buy a GT3 RS over a Mercedes Black Series? With identical drivers, I can't imagine one having an advantage over the other on the street, either straight line or twisty roads, unless driving at 10/10 (which no sane person would do on the street).

The Mercedes weighs 740 lbs more, but is obviously more comfortable and likely safer. They both have the same 0-60, 1/4-mile time, nearly same skidpad (.99g vs .96 g), and reach 150 mph in about the same time (22.2 vs 23.1). 60 to 130 is also the same (11.7 seconds). Maybe the GT3 RS feels more exciting to drive, or would that get old on the street?

Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM
HardCore Nice is infamous around these parts
GT3 Being a 6 manual, Porsche, rougher a little more Hardcore
(personal opinion)
MB 7 gear Flappy Paddle Gear Box, F1 background
Personal Preferance

Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
GT3RS is 100 times the fun factor, sheer speed doesnt always make the driving experience. I always thought my old S2000 was more fun than 95% of cars even though it was slow....also think resale value, the black label will depreciate nice and hard sooner or later...the RS I think will hold up pretty nicely.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Formula1 is infamous around these parts
The pluses of the MB is that it will probably ride better on streets, but the RS isn't that bad. Both seat only 2 so the arguement that you can take 3 of your friends is mute.

I think you would feel the extra 750 lbs. when on the twisties, in that case I'd pick the RS.

However, the RS stands out more where the MB is more subtle, but the black series is sharp too, just not so "colorful". Depends on what you want.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
GHOSTRIDER-TT is infamous around these partsGHOSTRIDER-TT is infamous around these parts
well they have about a $30k-$40k price difference between them. Its not much in the grand scheme of things but the RS is more expensive none-the-less.

I think it comes down to if you prefer a manual over a paddle F1 shift or not.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM
chrissurfr has a spectacular aura aboutchrissurfr has a spectacular aura aboutchrissurfr has a spectacular aura about
I love the benz.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
I am one of the biggest Mercedes fans you will ever meet, but as a true sports car or track car, the GT3 RS is a much better car in every way.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM
CorsicanBB is infamous around these parts
If you want a car for street use, get a 'regular' GT3. It will still give you 100 times the enjoyment of a souped up Benz. No disrespect, but I can't believe you are even asking...

Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
I agree with CorsicanBB on this one. And besides, us Atlas Grey GT3 guys have to stick together!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
If I were in the market for a small fast benz, I could not see spending double the money for a CLK 63 Black Series when a new C63 will do nearly the same job. The new C63 still looks pretty special thanks to its similarly widened front fenders and other special aero treatments. It even weighs less if I remember correctly, like ~3600 pounds vs ~3800 for the CLK.

At its price point, the CLK 63 Black Series doesn't really do enough for me..

Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
If you want a car for street use, get a 'regular' GT3. It will still give you 100 times the enjoyment of a souped up Benz. No disrespect, but I can't believe you are even asking...
Can you tell me the things that make the GT3 100 times more enjoyable (not counting looks, which is subjective)? Is it the sound, less body roll when driving crazy on the street, "it's a Porsche", etc? Some people may argue that the Benz is more enjoyable because it's comfortable when you want it to be (something you may not get from the GT3), but also raw when you want it.

Of course, for the track, the GT3 is the preferred choice simply because it's lighter and will be able to take the turns faster (and stops a bit faster). But, for the street, it's unlikely that anyone would notice the difference unless you're going absolutely crazy at 10/10.

BTW, the Black Series stops only 12' longer than the GT3 from 70 mph (161' vs. 149').

Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bill S
Can you tell me the things that make the GT3 100 times more enjoyable (not counting looks, which is subjective)? Is it the sound, less body roll when driving crazy on the street, "it's a Porsche", etc? Some people may argue that the Benz is more enjoyable because it's comfortable when you want it to be (something you may not get from the GT3), but also raw when you want it.

Of course, for the track, the GT3 is the preferred choice simply because it's lighter and will be able to take the turns faster (and stops a bit faster). But, for the street, it's unlikely that anyone would notice the difference unless you're going absolutely crazy at 10/10.

BTW, the Black Series stops only 12' longer than the GT3 from 70 mph (161' vs. 149').
Bill S: Sorry, but I think you're missing the whole point that CorsicanBB is making. I've owned a bunch of Benz's - I have two now, one of which has had the full technical hot rod treatment. The MB is a fast GT car, a nice cruiser, refined and yet has some good grunt. But I've never driven a Benz that has the steering and road feel of a 911 - that feeling of being connected to the pavement, to be able to pick any line to the millimeter and be able to hold it corner after corner - I just don't believe, with due respect to the black series, that the MB engineers have or ever will figure out nor desire to put the kind of neural connection between driver and road that is the essence of the Porsche mystique. Hope this helps...

Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
I guess, you can handle a manual transmission go with the GT3, if youd rather have a automatic for stop-and-go traffic and so that someone else "can" drive the car go with the Merc. 2 great cars, have driven both, but Id still go for the GT3 hands down. Dont think I could ever have fun with a Merc the same way as in a Porsche, the only car I think that can take the porsche thrill away with driving with only 2 pedals is a Ferrari or Bugatti

Old 09-10-2007, 03:37 PM
BoostJunkie is infamous around these parts
The things that turn me off about Benzes are their numb steering feel and auto gearboxes. It's difficult to replicate the direct steering feel of a Porsche, and the manual trans. makes it a much more involved driving experience. Plus the weight difference is HUGE, definitely enough to be felt on the street. They are just in different classes. The Benz is a GT, better compared to something like the Aston AMV8. The Porsche is a pure sportscar, more like a Ferrari Challenge Stradale or something along those lines.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
MattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud of
GT3 for sure, hands down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS over Mercedes Black series?