Lexus Forum for the Lexus LF-A, Lexus IS-F and other Lexus models

David Huang's 1,000 HP Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 PM
AceRothstein415 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
Why does anyone spend money on anything? Because they want to. Doesn't make him stupid. If I wanted to blow $100k on a watch, I could, and that would be my right to do so, same with car modifications. Nobody modifies a car because it makes financial sense, it's because they WANT TO.

100k watch can actually appreciate with time, this definitely won't, but provide much much more fun.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:13 PM
LittleJohny is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by c2gta
And to all the people who reply by bashing my initial comment. Would you spend 100K on an older model IS? Try answering that question before you post.
Would I? No. Not in a million years. However that doesn't necessarily make his decision a stupid one.

The vast majority of cars are depreciating assets. Thus, to people who spend more than the bare minimum, they are simply toys and/or luxuries. I don't know what you drive, but unless it's a used Toyota Corolla... why did you spend that much money? Because something about that car appeals to you. Because it makes you happy, and because you thought it was justified.

In the same reason you ask why this dude spent 100K on his old Lexus. Well, according to the article:
Okay, we have to ask—why a Lexus IS?
Basically, the car’s styling was pleasing to my eye. I also like it because its handling can actually get my adrenaline pumping; it’s easy for the driver to be one with the car.

So, apparently, the old IS floats his boat. Does it float mine? No. Does it float yours? Apparently not. But then again, neither of us are dropping the money on it. He spent some amount of money (I presume a small percentage of his assets) on something he found entertaining. As with most forms of entertainment, of course it is a depreciating asset, but I don't think he thought of this as an investment.

As long as the owner has a reason for it, I don't think anyone has the right to tell him he made a stupid decision. In the same way that I don't have the right to tell you you're stupid for not buying a cheap Corolla instead. It would've still gotten you from point A to B wouldn't it?

Oh and by the way. Your initial statement was that it's the stupidest way to spend 100K. I would have to disagree. Perhaps burning it?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LittleJohny
Oh and by the way. Your initial statement was that it's the stupidest way to spend 100K. I would have to disagree. Perhaps burning it?

ha ha agreed. For the worst way to spend 100k I think we could also turn to John Daly for some advice

Old 04-12-2010, 01:08 AM
ihatepotholes will become famous soon enoughihatepotholes will become famous soon enough
Hi Vasily,

Just out of curiosity, would you modify an older model IS for 100k?

As for you question, "Why does anyone spend money on anything?". Not all financial decisions are made by "wanting to". Do i want to pay taxes? Do i want to pay for household bills?

I was thinking you're some big Baller or CEO of a Fortune 500 company, giving the example of "blowing a 100K on a watch". When in fact, you just turned 24 and bum rides off a 6-Speed members. You complain about having to pay for 40 dollar lunches.

Could you buy a 100K watch today? Unlikely.

Would you buy a 100K watch if you had the means? You and I both know that you wouldn't blow a 100K on a watch, so stop trying to reinforce your argument with such a fantastical hypothetical situation.

Sure, it's everyone's right to buy whatever they please, but in this situation, and this is solely my opinion, Mr. Huang stupidly spent 100K.
you got a wife? if you don't now, you'll later at some point. to the rest of us she might be just another broad, but can you put a price tag on her?

Last edited by ihatepotholes; 04-12-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MasonBlanche
Good article from Lexus Magazine about David Huang's modified 1,000 HP Lexus IS. It cost him 100K to build. I like the engine detail. What do you guys think?
The engine bay is sick, I like it...

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i own an is300 and i think its silly to invest $100k into it. but this $100k is after all expenses.. 3 different motors plus labor, 3 different body kits plus paint and labor.. the initial purchase price of the car, etc. Its not like he has $100k worth of new upgrades in it.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
MasonBlanche will become famous soon enough
100K is definitely quite a lot, and I don't think I could ever spend that but I guess if you love the car that much it provides a fun hobby.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 PM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
David has owned this IS for about 10years now. I remember all the way back to Area51 days in Irvine he had it supercharged. People dump money into cars thats a fact. I built a side business of the IS300 from 2001-2005 and it generated 7 figure revenue.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
HIS car, HIS money, and none of YOUR business.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
wow that looks mean !

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Knight R&D is on a distinguished road
I agree that it's his car, his money. But if asked, I'd say it was a waste of money. There are plenty of other much more deserving vehicles, that would benefit far more from $100k in upgrades. In my opinion, I'd rather take a Scion XB chop the roof and convert it to rear wheel drive. Drop a Blown Big Block V8 engine in front of the rear axle and say I spent $100k on that. But that's just me

Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM
turborye is on a distinguished road
I know that is crazy money, but because of the 2JZ the IS300 has the potential of Supra power numbers, 1000hp plus. It just takes quite a bit of money, but you get a sleeper four door luxury sedan with insane power!
Note: I am a IS300 owner

Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
shonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to behold
don't criticize a guy's woman and don't criticize his ride.

personally, i think the workmanship is outstanding.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
I might get flamed for saying this; and I usually don't criticize people, but that's the stupidest way you can spend 100K, especially in these trying economic times.

Even if this guy is a multi-millionaire and has money to blow, why in the world would you spend 100K to modify an automatic IS that is not even the current IS model?

Hopefully i meet this guy one day, so i understand how his mind works, or doesn't.

By your logic if you buy a 100k+ E60 M5 that is a more stupifying a purchase because in 5 years it will have depreciated to a value less than what you can sell this lexus for. You had better get into the other forums quickly and start critisizing everyone who has purchased new. You're way behind!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of
I might get flamed for saying this; and I usually don't criticize people, but that's the stupidest way you can spend 100K, especially in these trying economic times.
oh man, how I wish that I could've responsed sooner so you wouldn't get flamed; it's hard to think outside the box when the editor simply sum up the full story (including the overall spending in this case), but here's the real math:

2001 IS300 @ Summer 2000 w/ dealer options = $36k out the door.
Estimate $20 a day, about $600/$620 a month or $7300 a year, is about $65700 after 9 years; and that totals up to $100k+ aftermath.

Even if this guy is a multi-millionaire and has money to blow, why in the world would you spend 100K to modify an automatic IS that is not even the current IS model?
When the car was purchased in Summer of 2000, it was the current model (or advance model); Why automatic? Just to make a point.

And trust me, he's not a multi-millionaire and doesn't have "money to blow" like the way you think.

Hopefully i meet this guy one day, so i understand how his mind works, or doesn't.
I'm sure that wouldn't be impossible, as he roams from 6speed to clublexus/my.is to vipstylecar and tons of other forums.

I would understand for a Supra, but for an everyday IS? I just don't get it.
It's okay that you don't, because it's not an everyday IS to begin with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: David Huang's 1,000 HP Lexus IS