Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

First Macans arriving with monster performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stock_Monster
Got OFFICIAL word from my dealer yesterday that IN FACT the FIRST MACANS to arrive (in Canada anyway) will be the 'S' and the TURBO. The base model 4 banger will be out in 2015. That is OFFICIAL from PORSCHE now. Sucks for me because I wanted the little guy. Going to get my deposit back & find myself a nice white 2011-2013 Cayenne.
Canadian pricing?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Rolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TGED
Canadian pricing?
I DID ask that question, he said they don't have OFFICIAL pricing yet, BUT somewhere like 56-58 for the S and low 70's for the Turbo. Seems like a lot of $ for the Turbo, but im only going by what he said. Could be wrong, but im sure they have a pretty good idea.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Stock_Monster
I DID ask that question, he said they don't have OFFICIAL pricing yet, BUT somewhere like 56-58 for the S and low 70's for the Turbo. Seems like a lot of $ for the Turbo, but im only going by what he said. Could be wrong, but im sure they have a pretty good idea.
honestly, if you are looking for a 4 cylinder, just get a Q5.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
But Q5 is not a Porsche.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Rolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Like TGED said, its not a Porsche. I was looking for a Diesel Cayenne when the Macan was announced, so I thought 'hey, why not', since I could spec mine out exactly how I wanted. I drive a LOT, and the gas the turbo would burn doesn't interest me. That's why the smaller Macan made more sense. Anyway, back to finding me a nice white 2011-13 Cayenne Diesel No big deal. Plus, the GF has a White Q5.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
Why do you say that?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fastm3
Why do you say that?
Because with a pokey engine like that, are you really going to feel the "Porsche" differences in the Macan vs. the Q5, which is already quite a good vehicle?

I guess the same could be said for V6 or TDI Touraeg vs. Cayenne. You can feel the differences there. Will the same be said for the 4 cylinder Macan? Dunno, but I'm not going to find out.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Because with a pokey engine like that, are you really going to feel the "Porsche" differences in the Macan vs. the Q5, which is already quite a good vehicle? I guess the same could be said for V6 or TDI Touraeg vs. Cayenne. You can feel the differences there. Will the same be said for the 4 cylinder Macan? Dunno, but I'm not going to find out.
I kinda agree with you. I wouldn't even buy a 4-cylinder Q5. On the other hand, I really see the benefits of the 4 cylinder (especially the diesel) in lots of European countries, because of the emission based taxes.
For example in Holland, where I was born, the 4 cylinder diesel engine is THE engine to go for if you drive a Macan or Q5 as a business vehicle, which 75% of that kind of vehicles are over there. The additional power if a V6 is hardly usable most of the time.
So from a rational POV I really understand if people buy a 4 cylinder. In the end it still isn't a sportscar, even with the ost powerful engine.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
ArashApollo will become famous soon enoughArashApollo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Suzy991
I kinda agree with you. I wouldn't even buy a 4-cylinder Q5. On the other hand, I really see the benefits of the 4 cylinder (especially the diesel) in lots of European countries, because of the emission based taxes.
For example in Holland, where I was born, the 4 cylinder diesel engine is THE engine to go for if you drive a Macan or Q5 as a business vehicle, which 75% of that kind of vehicles are over there. The additional power if a V6 is hardly usable most of the time.
So from a rational POV I really understand if people buy a 4 cylinder. In the end it still isn't a sportscar, even with the ost powerful engine.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
Very true, but doesn't having a 4 cylinder dilute the Porsche name? I'm very excited for the Macan and am planning on buying one myself, but am very worried about Porsche having a transition into being in the same category as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. What's next, single piston brake calipers? It sounds crazy, but I would really hate it if porsche released a car under 50K USD. It just takes away from the exclusivity of having a Porsche.

You can still get porsche level luxury in an Audi btw.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Definitely.
In fact... Some Audi interiors are better build quility than Porsche's interiors, but an Audi will always give a different driving experience than a Porsche, regardless if it is a 4-, 5-, 6- or whatever cylinder engine.
Porsche made 4 cylinder engines in the past. 968, 914....
Nothing wrong with that. It's just that I personally think a car like the Macan, Q5 or X3 suits a 6 cylinder better. (For now... this may change in the very near future... 4 cylinders turbo- or supercharged engines are becoming the new 6 cylinder engines)

BMW announced that the next gen 5-series will even be available with a 3-cylinder engine! How about that??! LOL

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Forse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Very true, but doesn't having a 4 cylinder dilute the Porsche name? I'm very excited for the Macan and am planning on buying one myself, but am very worried about Porsche having a transition into being in the same category as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. What's next, single piston brake calipers? It sounds crazy, but I would really hate it if porsche released a car under 50K USD. It just takes away from the exclusivity of having a Porsche.
Diesel models typically retail a few thousand dollars more than the equivalent gasoline engines here. I don't think we need fear that any Porsche Macan would go out the door less than 55K-60K.

A 4-cyl is hardly cause for concern for the Porsche name. Let us not forget that the original VW Beetle, designed by Ferdinand Porsche, was called Porsche Type 60 (later renamed VW Type 1). In 1951, a VW 1.3 litre air-cooled boxer diesel engine was installed in a Type 1. The diesel Beetle was time tested at the 'Ring and achieved 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 60 seconds. Despite all these basic and humble undertakings by Ferdinand Porsche, the name is untarnished and now stands among the mighty indeed.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 PM
SevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura about
Very true, but doesn't having a 4 cylinder dilute the Porsche name? I'm very excited for the Macan and am planning on buying one myself, but am very worried about Porsche having a transition into being in the same category as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes.
I'd take a 356, 550 or 904 model Porsche with a 4 cylinder over any of the current offerings, bar none. If the car performs as a Porsche should, who cares about cylinder count?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
For some, it seems Porsche is all about exclusivity, and horsepower. For me it has always been about the looks and handling. I assume any Porsche will have enough power for enjoyable driving, regardless of whether it has 4/6/8 cylinders.

Last edited by fastm3; 11-04-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Forse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SevenSisters
I'd take a 356, 550 or 904 model Porsche with a 4 cylinder over any of the current offerings, bar none. If the car performs as a Porsche should, who cares about cylinder count?
Absolutely right!
I reserve the right to take the 904, though - my favourite Porsche race car ever.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
It sounds crazy, but I would really hate it if porsche released a car under 50K USD. It just takes away from the exclusivity of having a Porsche.
Much too late already, the base Cayenne starts at just under $50k and only recently approaches the $50k mark. When I purchase my 958 in 2011, the base price was $46,700 USD. Assuming the 955 and 957 variants were less.