Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Macan S vs. SQ5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Suzy991
SQ5 has a reasonably good steering feel for an Audi, but still is numb. Not even close to an R8.
However, I can't comment on the U.S. SQ5, only on the European one that I've owned and that has a diesel engine, which can make for a different steering feel than the U.S. petrol engined car. (Although I can hardly believe it is that much better... It still is an Audi).
I'm on my 4th Audi now and all cars have or had numb steering feel, no matter if the power steering was hydraulic or electric.

The Macan has completely different steering feel, with much more feedback. Better than any other SUV I've ever driven.
They certainly don't come from the same line. Steering setup, but also the AWD system and many other things have been changed by Porsche. Macan feels like a completely different car than the SQ5/Q5. The only thing that is exactly the same is the chassis, which is in fact the chassis of the current Audi A4/A5 line-up and diesel engine (although ECU is tuned differently by Porsche, to suit their PDK).

However, for my personal situation, the Macan S or S diesel isn't worth the premium over the Q5/SQ5. I would only consider the Macan Turbo, which i.c.m. air suspension is faster and sportier yet more comfortable than any other SUV. But then again... I have a sportscar for spirited driving, which is always better than any SUV.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
Great feedback Suzy (pun intended) and I apprecaite your responses.

One follow up question... does your SQ5 have dynamic steering? The US version of the SQ5 has that as an option and I've found that in some Audi applications that does help improve steering feel.

Safe motoring.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Great feedback Suzy (pun intended) and I apprecaite your responses. One follow up question... does your SQ5 have dynamic steering? The US version of the SQ5 has that as an option and I've found that in some Audi applications that does help improve steering feel. Safe motoring.
I did have it on the SQ5 (standard feature on the SQ5 here), but in dynamic it feels like the system is broken. Unrealisticly heavy and still not much feel. Best feel you get when the steering is in the normal setting. (It's very nice that, unlike BMW, Audi has an individual program in the Drive Select, where you can configure and store each paramter to your own likings).
My current A6 Avant also has the dynamic steering I always leave it in normal. Comfort is way too light and dynamic is way too heavy.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
I did have it on the SQ5 (standard feature on the SQ5 here), but in dynamic it feels like the system is broken. Unrealisticly heavy and still not much feel. Best feel you get when the steering is in the normal setting. (It's very nice that, unlike BMW, Audi has an individual program in the Drive Select, where you can configure and store each paramter to your own likings).
My current A6 Avant also has the dynamic steering I always leave it in normal. Comfort is way too light and dynamic is way too heavy.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
Thanks.

Side note, and apologies, because it's off topic... we have a 2010 Audi A6 Avant with the 3.0L S/C drivetrain. My wife love it. Sadly, Audi isn't bringing the C7 version of the A6 Avant to the US. Our Avant just went out of manufacturers warranty and we ended up buying an extended warranty from Fidelity. We desperately wanted a new A6 avant (or better yet S6 or RS6) but sadly, as US customers, we don't get that choice.

Glad you get those options where you are.

Safe motoring.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
In most parts of Europe, or at least here in Switzerland, they sell more avants (A4/A6) than sedans. The medium sized SUVs like Q5, X3 or Macan are also very popular. (I think they're called small SUVs in the US )

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 AM
In most parts of Europe, or at least here in Switzerland, they sell more avants (A4/A6) than sedans. The medium sized SUVs like Q5, X3 or Macan are also very popular. (I think they're called small SUVs in the US )

Suzy991 (iOS app)
We tend to call them CUV's or "cute ute's". Sadly, most Americans seem to prefer large, lumbering and inefficient SUV's. So those of us that really need the utility of a wagon don't have a lot of choices.

MB still sells an E class wagon here (no C class wagon), BMW sells their 3 series wagon (no 5 and not all variants), and Audi sells the allroad (based on the A4 avant). Volvo has a wagon returning but other than VW's sportwagen and Subaru... that's it.

I am intrigued by the Macan turbo but frankly, I would probably prefer an S6/RS6 Avant or the Panamera ShootingBrake concept that never made it to production. I'll NEVER go offroad and I live in S. CA for the compromises of a lifted body shell do nothing for me. I do; however, have a family and a dog, and actively surf so I need and use the utility of a wagon.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
I have been looking at moving to a smaller SUV-type vehicle and have been considering the Macan S and the Audi SQ5. Just for the heck of it, I decided to visit both websites and configure both cars with very similar options. The result? The Macan S is priced about 10% more than a similarly equipped SQ5. The SQ5 edged the Porsche in horsepower, torque, 0-60 (without sport chrono which another pricey option in the Porsche), and bigger front brakes.
Porsche is nickel and diming us with pricey options! Porsche got a big scare in the early 90's when they prized themselves out of the market. At the rate that they are going it can happen again.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:35 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
These are all Volkswagens now.

From VWs perspective the Porsche Macan is an Audi at a higher price. They are badge engineering and maintaining a difference to be able to capture a brand premium from those who will pay for exclusivity.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
With completely different motors and suspension, it is a stretch to say the Macan is an Audi at a higher price, especially given that the Macan shares only about 30% of the components with Audi. The Macan is aimed at people who want a better handling SUV and who aren't as concerned about space needs.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
These are all Volkswagens now. From VWs perspective the Porsche Macan is an Audi at a higher price. They are badge engineering and maintaining a difference to be able to capture a brand premium from those who will pay for exclusivity.
Depends on how you look at it I guess... You could also say that the Lamborghini Huracàn is a rebadged R8... In other words also a Volkswagen....
Both the Macan and Q5 don't share anything with a Volkswagen, except the 2.0 petrol and diesel engines (if the small diesel will come available for Macan). The ars are built on the Audi A4/A5 platform, which is not shared with VW.
A common mistake is that people think the Q5 (and now Macan) share the platform with the VW Tiguan, but that car a lot smaller and shares its platform with the Audi Q3.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on how you look at it I guess... You could also say that the Lamborghini Huracàn is a rebadged R8... In other words also a Volkswagen....
Both the Macan and Q5 don't share anything with a Volkswagen, except the 2.0 petrol and diesel engines (if the small diesel will come available for Macan). The ars are built on the Audi A4/A5 platform, which is not shared with VW.
A common mistake is that people think the Q5 (and now Macan) share the platform with the VW Tiguan, but that car a lot smaller and shares its platform with the Audi Q3.
Or Gallardo. You are paying more than just exclusivity IMO.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM
DG_Hennessy is on a distinguished road
Interesting fact, 85% of the Macan is unique. It is either a new or re-engineered part from the Q5. Only 15% carried over from the Q5 to the Macan. These numbers are from the engineers at Porsche.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by nicoff
I have been looking at moving to a smaller SUV-type vehicle and have been considering the Macan S and the Audi SQ5. Just for the heck of it, I decided to visit both websites and configure both cars with very similar options. The result? The Macan S is priced about 10% more than a similarly equipped SQ5. The SQ5 edged the Porsche in horsepower, torque, 0-60 (without sport chrono which another pricey option in the Porsche), and bigger front brakes.
Porsche is nickel and diming us with pricey options! Porsche got a big scare in the early 90's when they prized themselves out of the market. At the rate that they are going it can happen again.
The one factor I'd analyze before agreeing or disagreeing with your point is how does each vehicle drive? I believe driving them back-to-back would be crucial to determining a personal sense of relative value.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 PM
theatermax is on a distinguished road
I have a 2014 SQ5 Estoril and say hello to Macan

Guys

I am on my 4th Q5.. For real.. I bought a Daytona Gray 3.2 then a Glacier White 3.0 and then wanted some better steering and got a Glacier white with the Audi Select ride and stuff and then saw the SQ5 and bought that in Estoril Blue and absolutely love it. The Seats are beyond comfy and its fast as hell and drives great.

All was good till I drove the Macan on friday last week. Completely ruined my day.

It was surreal. Drove like 911s I gave driven and felt like nothing in a SUV i have ever imagined. Problem is there are so few around and I wanted White and Bose and Prem Plus as I dont want to fumble for the key to open the door.

I bought the launch car and I should have it this friday. I am sadly trading in the SQ5 with 5000 miles and I am hoping I love the Macan as much and more.

A little nervous about seat comfort as I have some back issues but I pray for the best. The Air flow seats should be fun and heated wheel and stuff if great.

I cant believe how nice the screen is on the porsche and I thought audi had such great tech but I didnt realize how nice porsche has it down.

I had B&O in the audi and got the bose in the macan so we shall see friday.

More to follow

Craig

Old 05-19-2014, 10:57 PM
theatermax is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by keninirvine
With completely different motors and suspension, it is a stretch to say the Macan is an Audi at a higher price, especially given that the Macan shares only about 30% of the components with Audi. The Macan is aimed at people who want a better handling SUV and who aren't as concerned about space needs.
I own a SQ5 and getting my macan friday and I can tell you straight up. 85% is correct as I was told this from POrsche and If you ask me after driving the Macan. Its more like 95% different. Not saying the Audi is bad in any way. I love love love my SQ5 but the macan is a drivers SUV. The Audi is numb and less sporty.

After 4 Q5's i needed a change anyhow

Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
I've had a brief testdrive in two Macan yesterday at an Easter show at my P-car dealership. One was the macan S diesel and the other one was the Macan Turbo. Since I've owned and done almost 90,000km with an SQ5, I can make a reasonably good comparison.

The Macan feels good, but the diesel engine is underpowered for a "sporty SUV", compared to the SQ5 (note that the European SQ5 is a 313hp BiTurbo diesel!). The Macan Turbo is a blast and a true competitor for the Cayenne Turbo. Very fast!
Inside it all looks nice in the Macan, but I prefer the interior of the SQ5 (matter of taste, so it's very subjective). Use of materials in the Macan is clearly one step lower than Cayenne for example. Look at it like 981 and 991. There's just more use of plastic in the Macan (lower parts of interior).

The ride with air suspension was perfect, if you want a Macan, the air suspension is a must IMHO. The diesel didn't have the air-suspension and that was clearly noticable. On short bumps, the car felt a little nervous IMO. No sign of that in the Turbo with air suspension. With both suspensions, the car is without a doubt the most sporty feeling SUV in its class, that I have driven, maybe with the exception of the SQ5, which feels almost as sporty as the Macan.
If practicallity is your thing, go for the SQ5. Bigger boot, more practical solutions for rear seats, a bit more room in the back.

Like I said, it was a brief testdrive (about 10-15 minutes in each car), but overall the Macan is a nice alternative in the sporty SUV market. If I wanted a Macan it had to be the Turbo. The car simply doesn't have a competitor in its class. It has has sportscar performance.
For both other variants I would choose the SQ5 or even a Q5 instead. I buy an SUV mostly for its practicallity. I have sportscar for spirited driving. I also think the Q5 looks better and has a nicer interior, but both these things are subjective of course.

If someone can only have one car and wants perfomance, but still needs some practicallity, the Macan is a very nice car.

Maybe the most important thing... It feels like a Porsche, not like a beefed up Q5.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Suzy did the Macan you drove have the full leather interior? I drove a S the other day and the cayenne turbo and the interior was the exact same in material.

But I preferred the Macan because it was smaller and I think rode nicer. Also that new multi function steering wheel is better than anything else porsche offers. But I agree with you that if I were to buy a Macan it would also have to be the turbo. The S had zero exhaust noise and just wasn't fast enough. But if you don't care about sound or speed I would just the Macan S over anything audi has to offer, unless you need a huge SUV.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Macan S vs. SQ5