Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

996 or Maserati?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:15 PM
GTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud of

Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 AM
MoeMonney will become famous soon enough
Maserati GranSport

Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Abomar is on a distinguished road
I´m ok with Raphaelp, great and argumented answer!!

Before to buy my 996 TT I was choosing between a 4200 GT, What model ar you thinking about?

If you want a racing and authentic car the 996 TT it´s your choice, if you want and racing and exclusive car, choose the 4200.. If you are looking a 3200. There´s no discussion: 911!!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
KICKINIT can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Maserati GranSport
.... and you can buy 06 gransports for less than 50.000 wirh under 10,000 miles!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
If you get the Maserati make sue to get the Manual Transmission. Less upkeep, cheaper, more fun to drive and much smoother. The Cambriocorsa (spelling?) F1 type transmission is harsh and not as easy to drive as the manual IMO. I just drove a customers 04 with the 6 speed manual and thought it was worlds ahead of the F1 box I had driven in the past also on an 04 model. Just my advice.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
I used to have a 2006 Maserati Cambiocorsa, which I traded for my current 2003 911 turbo.

First of all, I really do miss the Maserati. I could easily see myself getting another one in the future.

The Maserati handled surprisingly well for it's size and weight, steering input was very nice. Ride can be rough at times too, depending on your suspension mode.

It had some odd electrical quirks. The seats were very finnicky when adjusting them, sometimes they would not adjust at all. It was hit or miss. The radio was absolutely terrible, and I even had the Auditorium "upgrade"!. One of the headlights blew out, and it cost $350 to replace it if I remember correctly. The handbrake is super weak in these cars, and they will wear out and cost a ridiculous amount of money to replace.

The interior is very nice though, the seats were a bit firm for my taste, but you had really nice leg support. The back seats are really quite nice, I fit four adult males very comfortably in it.

Engine performance is of course spectacular, the torque on tap is great. With some exhaust mods it is absolutely amazing sounding. The DBW is terrible. If you do wind up getting a Coupe, do the DBW mod immediately.

I had the cambiocorsa model with the auto-manual paddle shift transmission. It was pretty cool. It can take a while to go into reverse, and back to first though, which was irritating if you're in a hurry.

This is turning into a book, but I would recommend one. Save about $5-7k for unexpected maintenance.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Some interesting experiences I had in my short ownership of the car:

1. Lots of compliments from women. Maybe it was the color I had (slightly dark blue).
2. People driving past, only to slow back down and drive next to you for a while. This happened a lot, and sometimes very attractive women would smile or even roll down their window and yell a compliment.
3. Did wind up getting the "daddy's car" compliment one time.
4. Survived an off-roading trip with the Mischief Crew.

Ah crap I need to stop thinking about it, I miss it!

pics:

Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
For practicality, if you are committed to '02s, go for the Porsche, it will be much more trouble free. If you can get a later model, or get a really clean one, then Maser has the edge. The Gran Tourismo (and gransport) is gorgeous.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Island Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of light
I purchased my 05 GT last June for 40K with 11K on her. I have put 6K on her since she became mine. Find a good car with a history and you should be fine. I very nice 02 coupe GT was sold local last year for under 30 and it was a great car. I should have picked it up for my daily driver. I also do not think the upkeep on the Maserati will be more then a 911 in the long run. Find a good Maser wrench and stay away from the dealer. I did nothing to the car in 6000 miles. Never had to add any oil and spent a nickle. I had the 17K service done last month at Alfa of Tacoma and the bill was just under $900 for complete service and all fluids replaced. Dealer would have been $1800. How much cheap would the 911 be, probably higher. I bought the GT because I hate the F1 and did not want to deal with a clutch every 10K. I would have been shopping for one already. Carlo from Alfa of Tacoma said these motor are bullet proof and really need nothing major until 120K valve adjustment. 911's are a dime a dozen.
If you want a track car get a track car. The Maser is a fine GT car and loves long trips and the open road. The interior is off the hook with all the leather(Love the leather head liner). 911 is stark with minimal comfort.
I have the stock stereo in my car and I think it is excellent. One of the better stock systems I have heard. Light years ahead of the wifes SLK350. Last exotic car show I was at had tons of Ferrari's and Lambo's.
3 maserati's, My GT, A Grand Sport and a Merek. It was one class and as you woudl assume the 74 Merek which was sweet won best Maserati as it should of. If you want a bit more edge as the Larini exhaust and X-pipe and you will never look back. I am still in love with my Italian girl. I make up excuses to get alone time with her. I have been even talking her out in the rain. Traction control off it is the best handling drifter i have ever owned. She just loves to hang her *** out and wiggle it. Way to much fun. The 6 speed manual just gives you so much more control of what the car is doing. The 911 definetly has the handling edge but the Maser will surprise you at how balanced and tossable it is. She will hang with just about anything out there if you through a few curves in. Good luck. No brainer in my book. Price are jsut to good to be true currently. Happy hunting.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 AM
mike4s has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I sold my 996 4s. There is a 01 3200GT, 45K miles for 12,000$, very freshly serviced. I hear that Maseratis have serious maintenance issues but on the other hand i see that parts are cheaper than Porsche as well as upgrading parts. I can get for example an ECU remap + full exhaust + bilstein shocks-springs for 3.000-3500$ fitted.
What do you think?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I looked at several Maserati's before I decided on the 996T. They all were 2002 - 2005. Great looking cars with a top-notch leather interior standard, awesome engine and V8 sounds galore , gearbox must be manual , the F1- will cost you an arm and a leg and is more than temperamental. I think the depreciation will continue at an horrendous pace. There are only a few indies that understand a modern Maser and do not have the equipment to service / maintain the cars so you end up at a Ferrari shop. That is when the fun starts. But... I am still licking my lips when I see one that is not a Quatroporte (too large for my liking).

Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 AM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mike4s
I sold my 996 4s. There is a 01 3200GT, 45K miles for 12,000$, very freshly serviced. I hear that Maseratis have serious maintenance issues but on the other hand i see that parts are cheaper than Porsche as well as upgrading parts. I can get for example an ECU remap + full exhaust + bilstein shocks-springs for 3.000-3500$ fitted.
What do you think?
Those are some really good prices for those types of upgrades. Here in the states, a Tubi alone will run you those numbers.

I know it is an old post, but considering I have put a lot of miles on both my Masers...it is worth every penny!!!!!!! Maintenance is a little higher--->Do your own damn oil changes!!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:09 PM
onewhippedpuppy is on a distinguished road
I've owned four 996s and have a 2003 Coupe. My comments:

Maserati - beautiful inside and out, sounds like sex, faster than a 996 NA, exclusive, bigger back seats, definitely a GT car, parts are insanely expensive, F1 gearbox can be clunky.

996 -a true sports car, more fun to drive hard, more reliable, cheaper parts, interior is very average, better MPG, easy to drive daily.

In retrospect I prefer the 996, part of the reason I'm selling my Coupe soon. It's a great GT car but I prefer a sports car.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:23 PM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
When it somes to Italian cars, it is always best to buy two; that way, you always have something to drive.

Buy German.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 AM
mackbella is on a distinguished road
Smile reply

Hello friends
Welcome to this forum site
Here you can find a lot of things
The forum are the way
where you can share your views and ideas
now I can tell you about the news website
please visit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 or Maserati?