Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

Quattroporte Custom Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM
tcbquattroporte is on a distinguished road
Quattroporte Custom Key Fobs

When I purchased my 2006 Quattroporte Executive GT, I was disappointed over the look of the key fobs. Not only were they chipped up (from being dropped or carried in a pocket or purse with other hard objects), but they were blue. Yes, I understand that like Ferrari Rosso red, Maserati Blue is tradition, but frankly I thought that the fobs looked cheap, certainly not befitting a car with as much class as the Quattroporte. I began looking far and wide for an upgrade for my key fobs, but nothing could be found. Therefore, I decided to see what I could accomplish on my own. Attached is a photo of one of the key fobs sitting on the hood of my QP. Although the color hue is a little off due to my using my camera phone, you can see that my formerly blue fobs now match the glorious Bordeaux Ponteveccio paint on my car.

To accomplish this new look, I removed the original blue paint with acetone and some 2400 grit water sandpaper, carefully masked off the Maserati Trident medallion, key and buttons, shot a light coat of primer, three coats of color-matched base color and two coats of clear. I have not yet done a final fine sanding or hand polish, but I wanted to share this with other QP owners who want something different. I know that there will be some Maserati purists who may scream "sacrilege" over my covering up the Maserati blue, but I like the result. What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Color Match Key Picture.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	323022  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Looks great! Love little mods like this. Clean job, too.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Jeremyosj is on a distinguished road
I bought used keys which look new and swapped out the internals.