McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Mp4-12c as a DD..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Mp4-12c as a DD..

I'm thinking about picking one up for track duty and DD in about two years time. What are the service intervals for the car ?I would like to acquire one with about 20k miles or so. DD/Track it until it reaches 100k miles. Also, what is a good mclaren forum. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Probably not even worth thinking about at this point.

Anyway, mclarenlife.com is a good forum, but I doubt anyone can give you much advice on this other than saying it's suitable for both DD and track.

If you are hoping to wait for prices to come down in the next two years, I think you'd be crazy to plan on putting such miles and usage on this car. Its running cost and consumables are comparable to just about any other modern exotic, but I'd hate to think about the parts and labor costs associated with such usage of one of these. Overhaul costs of the engine and gearbox could be extremely expensive.

You can call a dealer and ask about part costs I guess. I've heard that McLaren has just significantly increased part costs to come more in line with Ferrari, so assume at the least similar in cost to a 458. Remember, regardless of whatever price you buy it at, it's going to have the parts/labor cost of a $250-300K car.

In reality, it wouldn't be worth it. The car would be impossible to sell and depreciated massively, and you'd have to consider all the costs of running it as such. Ask yourself what you would pay for a McLaren with 100K miles on it and assume you'd probably need overhauls of just about every major component on it, some several times over. Rotors/brakes alone would probably cost a small fortune over the life of it. If you're concerned about cost, then I doubt you could afford to do this with it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Pipper6speed; 05-07-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM
lawman800 has a spectacular aura aboutlawman800 has a spectacular aura about
Well, either you would be stuck with the car forever since you can't sell it to any other real enthusiast, or you would have to dump it cheap to some wannabe faker who wants to front with the car but can't afford a clean example. If that's not an issue, by all means, just wanted to play out the end game here.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Thank you wedouglas for the recommendation on the forum.

Guys lets not get off topic. Lets not talk about depreciation, or if its reasonable for me to drive the car that many miles. People have different mind sets with cars. If I wanted to make a statement that I can afford to buy the car, but would not drive it, I would go to the dealer and take a picture with my portfolio statement, and leave it at the dealership so it never gets driven. Because truthfully, having a car that i paid that much, and letting it sit in my garage depreciating 10 to 15 dollars a mile i drive, is a terrible investment. Driving it 80k miles and having a depreciation curve of 1 dollar per mile driven is better for me, my money, my enjoyment so lets not get off topic from my op.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Alex of SP Engineering has a new 2013 orange one. He drives it every day. His shop has been interviewed by Jay himself...thus on Jays web site. Alex's shop in Industry Calif performs / works on many Lambos, Ferr, and Nissan GTRs. His newest creation is called Godzilla - 1500 HP with exports going to Dubi and even Russia ( cars are even imported to his shop for these upgrades). You might want to call Alex for his thoughts on the car.
Good luck with your search for one of these GEMs

Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
friend of mine DD his and its a Track *****... but then he put 40,000km on his Stripped on GT3RS in 2 summers as a DD and Track *****

Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
I know, I'm just putting that out there because your question about maintenance and wanting to buy it two years from now made me think that cost was a concern.

I agree that you should make the most of such a purchase and really drive it, but if cost is in fact a concern, I think the cost could be prohibitively high with such usage.

Just our of curiosity, how long do you think it would take you to run up 100K miles? 7 years?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wedouglas
You can call a dealer and ask about part costs I guess. I've heard that McLaren has just significantly increased part costs to come more in line with Ferrari, so assume at the least similar in cost to a 458. Remember, regardless of whatever price you buy it at, it's going to have the parts/labor cost of a $250-350 car
E: Have you ever noticed how many Ferrari's are available for sale with less then 7500 miles? For those who can afford, sell and just buy new every couple years because they can, and not to mention they are on the "list". This also has to do with the fact that a tune-up and valve job is close to $15k not to mention Ferrari brake replacement is $42k! (anyone, feel free to correct me if my numbers are wrong). Of course there is always the cost of new tires thrown into the mix at this point for most cars driven "normally" to the 5-7.5k mark.

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. If you can afford to finance it, just make sure you have plenty of cash laying around for maintentance and making it track compliant. After using it for two or three years the way it was originally intended to be driven, you then be to be prepared to take a $80-100k hit. Remember what your 996TT sold for new, not to mention if one custom ordered it? Remember what you paid for it used and what you have put into it to make it trackable/yours? Now multiple those numbers to match that of the cost of entry on the McLaren scale.

It's a amazing car, but for a track toy, not sure if it's the best move...

VID

Last edited by VID997; 05-08-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by 0396
Alex of SP Engineering has a new 2013 orange one. He drives it every day. His shop has been interviewed by Jay himself...thus on Jays web site. Alex's shop in Industry Calif performs / works on many Lambos, Ferr, and Nissan GTRs. His newest creation is called Godzilla - 1500 HP with exports going to Dubi and even Russia ( cars are even imported to his shop for these upgrades). You might want to call Alex for his thoughts on the car.
Good luck with your search for one of these GEMs

Thank you sir. Can I pm you for Alex info ?

Originally Posted by Zook@SCB
friend of mine DD his and its a Track *****... but then he put 40,000km on his Stripped on GT3RS in 2 summers as a DD and Track *****
Can you pm your friends info please? !

Originally Posted by wedouglas
I know, I'm just putting that out there because your question about maintenance and wanting to buy it two years from now made me think that cost was a concern.

I agree that you should make the most of such a purchase and really drive it, but if cost is in fact a concern, I think the cost could be prohibitively high with such usage.

Just our of curiosity, how long do you think it would take you to run up 100K miles? 7 years?
I'm not concern about cost. Just looking to get the best bang of the buck for a car I will drive a lot. Their are a lot of people whom do not drive them and take a 50% hit, those are the ones im looking for . Yes about 8-9 years to get to that many miles.

Originally Posted by VID997
E: Have you ever noticed how many Ferrari's are available for sale with less then 7500 miles? For those who can afford, sell and just buy new every couple years because they can, and not to mention they are on the "list". This also has to do with the fact that a tune-up and valve job is close to $15k not to mention Ferrari brake replacement is $42k! (anyone, feel free to correct me if my numbers are wrong). Of course there is always the cost of new tires thrown into the mix at this point for most cars driven "normally" to the 5-7.5k mark.

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. If you can afford to finance it, just make sure you have plenty of cash laying around for maintentance and making it track compliant. After using it for two or three years the way it was originally intended to be driven, you then be to be prepared to take a $80-100k hit. Remember what your 996TT sold for new, not to mention if one custom ordered it? Remember what you paid for it used and what you have put into it to make it trackable/yours? Now multiple those numbers to match that of the cost of entry on the McLaren scale.

It's a amazing car, but for a track toy, not sure if it's the best move...

VID
D,

The brakes cost 1k each for ceramic rotors. I'll replace them for irons for $200 each. My concern is the maintenance intervals, of clutch life expectancy and like you said, engine valve job. I do not want to be replacing a clutch every 15k miles. I do not want to be doing a valve job every 15k miles either or a timing chain. I can do the valve adjustment job, that wont be to hard. But I rather avoid it if i can. I plan to work on the car mostly like I have on the turbo. The turbo cost me sub 5k a year to run as a DD. Not including my track expense's. That is different. Same with modding expenses. Maca states this is a car you can DD it. I want to get a picture how much it cost to run it. I'm not concern buying it for 150k in 2 years time, and losing 100k+ after it reaches 100k miles. Resale is not a concern. It is not a concern with my Porsche either. I drive my cars because i know in a few years, the next best thing will be out, and i rather enjoy my car while it is one of the best things out there.

I hate going for an automatic gearbox but none of the new cars do it for me, and there really is no selection for a sport car with a manual. I have a deposit in a new camaro z28 but the pain of sitting in a 2002 camaro and the sitting position was absolutely terrible, i'm frighten it will be the same crap sitting position. The maca is a great deal for what it is. The new 911's are meh. rip off for what Porsche is charging and what you are getting imo.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
$1k for ceramic rotors and $200 for irons.....man, I have been seriously over paying for my ****".....

Why dont you buy a used Cup car?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
$1k for ceramic rotors and $200 for irons.....man, I have been seriously over paying for my ****".....

Why dont you buy a used Cup car?
If EBwerks thought me something, is where to find the direct manufactures. The scud and maca use same replacement disk as a z06 which can be had for 1k. I have a direct contact to a source of manufacutres for carbon ceramics too... same for irons. My 2pc that i just acquired. 175 each iron rotor ring, they make them the way i spec them.

No cup car, it cost over 3k an hour to run. F that.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Thank you sir. Can I pm you for Alex info ?

The brakes cost 1k each for ceramic rotors. I'll replace them for irons for $200 each. I hate going for an automatic gearbox but none of the new cars do it for me, and there really is no selection for a sport car with a manual. I have a deposit in a new camaro z28 but the pain of sitting in a 2002 camaro and the sitting position was absolutely terrible, i'm frighten it will be the same crap sitting position. The maca is a great deal for what it is. The new 911's are meh. rip off for what Porsche is charging and what you are getting imo.
So if I was considering a 100k 12C, my guess is it would be about $60k sales price. But as a buyer I wouldn't touch it unless it had:

Ceramic rotors (OEM), new clutches and actuators in gearbox, new water pump & timing belt/chain. All electronics working perfectly.

Btw, the new Z/28 won't be remotely like an '02.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=f1crazydriver;3842896]
I plan to work on the car mostly like I have on the turbo. The turbo cost me sub 5k a year to run as a DD. Not including my track expense's. That is different. Same with modding expenses. Maca states this is a car you can DD it. I want to get a picture how much it cost to run it...

I'm thinking about picking one up for track duty and DD in about two years time.[QUOTE]

One year basic cost to DD/Track a 09 997TT:

$4040.00 = 2 Sets of R6's including tax, shipping, and mounting
$1700.00 = 1 Set of RE-11's including tax, shipping, and mounting
$2706.00 = AP Racing Steel Rotors only with a new bolt, nut, and washer kit (bobbins are extra!)
$1760.00 = 2 Sets of Pagid RS19 Brake Pads (1 set = all 4 corners)
$ 180.00 = For Endless Brake Fluid

$10,368 For the basic bare minimum consumables....NO LABOR, UPGRADES, OR ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE.

Based on a 10 event season.

I need to get on your sub $5K budget!!!!!

Last edited by VID997; 05-08-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:59 PM
[quote=VID997;3843171][QUOTE=f1crazydriver;3842896]
I plan to work on the car mostly like I have on the turbo. The turbo cost me sub 5k a year to run as a DD. Not including my track expense's. That is different. Same with modding expenses. Maca states this is a car you can DD it. I want to get a picture how much it cost to run it...

I'm thinking about picking one up for track duty and DD in about two years time.

One year basic cost to DD/Track a 09 997TT:

$2706.00 = AP Racing Steel Rotors only with a new bolt, nut, and washer kit (bobbins are extra!)
$1760.00 = 2 Sets of Pagid RS19 Brake Pad (1 sets = all 4 corners)

$10,368 For the basic bare minimum consumables....NO LABOR, UPGRADES, OR ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE.

Based on a 10 event season.

I need to get on your sub $5K budget!!!!!
Dang Daren

My DD cost:

For my Porka ? $1750 mounted for new Michelins a year.
12k miles a year
3 oil changes -300 in oil/filters
1 transmission fluid change- 100
1 differential fluid change- 100
1 alignment- 200
1/2 set of pads plus rotors = 600 for pads + 700 for rotors / 2 = 650 a year
1 cabin filter- 20
1 air intake filter - 50
1 time spark plugs - 40
1 brake fluid change- 120
1 serpentine belt-50

total of 3370

the rest of 1700 is misc cost. Most of those prices i'm over estimating too..

Track: I don't add that up

But I can tell you it is much less then you.

- outch ! I get 3 sets a year of Pzeros for 1k.

-included in my above cost
$2706.00 = AP Racing Steel Rotors only with a new bolt, nut, and washer
kit (bobbins are extra!)
-outch !! cost me less than $600 for rotors easier on the brake D
$1760.00 = 2 Sets of Pagid RS19 Brake Pad (1 sets = all 4 corners)
-pfc's , 1300 for track.
-same

p.s. you pay for labor on these items ? these are very easy items to service !

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 05-08-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:11 PM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=f1crazydriver;3842896]Thank you sir. Can I pm you for Alex info ?

Alex's shop is on the web.

See Link:http://www.sp-power.com/

Last edited by 0396; 05-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mp4-12c as a DD..