Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

1997 Sl600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
1997 Sl600

What is this car worth with 150k on it? Physically it looks and runs awesome, especially for the mileage, but what could I expect out of it?
The owner wants to trade to me for my motorcycle. He is the original owner, has all documentation to repairs, car fax, smog cert....
Are these cars durable? Im not looking a daily driver, just a topless weekend car for the wife, instead of her Denali

Just looking for opinions
thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Interesting trade.... I never owned one of this models, but i like how they look.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:15 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Speedshaq
Interesting trade.... I never owned one of this models, but i like how they look.

Im in the same boat. Love the look, especially with wheels and lowered a bit.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
djParis has a spectacular aura aboutdjParis has a spectacular aura about
June clean trade-in is set at $12,850, retail $16,050. If I were to sell it, being super clean with all the records I would price it at $15,000 and probably end up parting ways for about $14,000. 11 year old $123,000 MSRP cars are hard to price, but it sounds like it could be a pretty good trade for you both. Just make sure its something you want to hold on to because unloading it may be difficult.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Mowateriology will become famous soon enoughMowateriology will become famous soon enough
can't say anything about fair price in the US, but the V12 R129 is a BLAST.

i've had mine now for 8 months now, loving every day of it; it is practical and dependable, more than i thought/got the impression of during my research.. i especially love the fact that it is understated and does not get much attention like my other cars except from people who -to me- know their cars! i'm guessing the same is true even in the states, and i'm sure you can appreciate that owning a 996TT

totally different car from the 500, in a very good way
way more fun to drive IMHO than what the general public seems to think (?), and i'm sure you will appreciate its handling and obvious added safety it offers over the Denali

the only thing i made sure of was that the car did NOT have hydraulic suspension (ADS - Adaptive Damping System) because of repeated drama my dad had back in the 90s with his R129 + the impracticality it would impose for my purposes.
if the car in question does have it (btw, there is a 'switch' for it on the left of the driving wheel) and the records show no drama, then that's great! but if you talk to the owner and he brings it up and that it can prove to be problematic, i remember a guy on an MB forums telling me about a way of eliminating it altogether and switching to normal shocks. let me know if you're interested and i will dig the link up for you

my car is a `93 so it has the 4spd tranny, the `97 has the 5spd (and improved interior), so that makes it all the better i guess.
i'm currently considering a SL55, and the thought of selling the 600 never crossed my mind .. i truly believe that it can hold its own against pretty much any coupe/roadster regardless of make or year

good luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
petros600 will become famous soon enough
I had a 96 SL for 3yrs. No problems at all but i heard stories about the transmissions($8k-9k). Very expensive!!! Other things to look for are any visible leaks on the engine(seals,$$$), check the soft top works properly, any cracks on the soft top, cat converter($1200 x 2).
I may still have the service manual on dvd, so let me know if u need anything.
Petros