Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

CLK 63 BS (aka Triple Black) My Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Carmel is infamous around these parts
CLK 63 BS (aka Triple Black) My Impressions

After ~ 700 mi in my CLK 63 BS here are some of my impressions. But 1st be advised that I've owned the following as a reference: 1997 M3 sedan, 2001 M5 w/ full Dinan pkg, 2002 911C4, 2003 911 Turbo w/ X50 pkg, 2005 Carrera GT, and lastly 2005 911 Cab w/ short shift & sport exhaust. All my previous cars were sticks.

1) The car has a great presence with beautiful lines. In the flesh you just can't stop looking at it. I park next to a CLK 500 and the cars look substantially different. The Black looks like a totally different car, as in the next generation.

2) The image the CLK 63 Black projects is "I'm looking for a fight" & and "I can kick your ****" in a confidence inspiring way. I call the look: "Brute in a Suit".

3) The interior craftsmanship as described by the magazines/critics is beautiful, with an excellent quality. It's a place you can sit in and appreciate for awhile. The space in the rear is truly well done, and my 5 yo son loves to just "kick back and play race car driver" there. The front (& only) seats are also well- supporting, wide range of adjustments, not cheaply made; excellent is an understatement.

4) I do a lot of driving (to multiple offices) averaging ~ 20,000/yr. On day 2 of ownership, I had to make a 180 mi round trip. It was very comfortable, with that great new car smell. The navigation and Harmon Kardon stereo are excellent. I also had the iPOD installed. So this machine is a virtual sound studio with Serius radio, 1CD & 6CD changer, iPOD, and FM radio. Mind you I use to ignore the sound systems in my previous cars. But this cabin makes you take it all in; beautifully done.

5) Engine start-up, low rpm and jamming it: simply amazing. I repeat the sound is amazing and provocative. Big thumbs up at cross walks from pedesterians. Giving the congratulatory smile and head shake. Much better and complementary compared to the goo goo-gaa gaa looks when I had the Carrera GT. Definitely more appropriate for my personality.

6) The ride is firm, not harsh. The steering is tight, responsive, tactile with excellent feedback. There is a connectivity to the engine, tires, road and exhaust. You definitely feel involved and not overwhelmed. Additionally the steering wheel feels right; not too thick, nice fenestrated leather with areas of smooth. Flat bottom offers room for nice orthopedic hand placement. I suspect most car companies will follow suit.

7) Although recommended "break-in" is 1000 miles, I've had a chance to power it up with the usual suspects. The 63 Black is literally the "King of the Road". The torque is rediculous throughout the rev range. Power is instant at any speed on the level of "think it & it is done". There is no lag, hesitation, pregnant pauses,etc., etc.etc. Just unadulterated power, which is addictive. The 63 Black literally takes no prisoners. Hence you drive around with an internal "****-eating grin"

8) Have not use the F-1 paddle shifters too much, as it is not recommended during the "break-in" period. What little I did use, suggest it will satisfy my shifting needs. Especially since all my previous cars have been sticks (see above).

In summary, this is one of the best cars I've ever owned or driven. While driving I feel priviliged to have the opportunity and the experience. It is truly a masterpiece of automotive engineering. I've reviewed extensively the multiple reviews both technical and lay press about the 63 Black and know the nuances of the car well. It is truly a masterpiece.

Fortunately and unfortunately the CLK 63 BS is a limited product (700 total worldwide). But is is truly the right and great start for AMG Performance Studio to create that car niche for a die-hard BMW & Porsche fan that I was.
I intend to track the car at some point after the break-in period. And will give more info on this aspect.

Is the CLK 63 Black worth the ~$140,000? Absolutely, without a doubt. In fact I consider it a bargain for a car of this engineering and build quality, that can blow away most of the competition (it's directed at the 911 GT3), and be used as a daily driver.

My hats off the Mercedes-Benz for having the guts (& business decision) to build the Black Series. And my hats off to all the 700 lucky owners of the CLK 63 Black Series.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you for the detailed review,

You should see the European version, I saw it last month in Monaco and it has more goodies compared to the one sold in America; such as lighter bucket seats and different door panels which brings a few kilo's down in the cars overall weight.

Enjoy it and drive safe.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
MODFIED is infamous around these parts
Beautiful, exceptionally well-written review. In a few paragraphs I went from formerly disinterested in the car to envious. That, and you don't get to read the word 'fenestrated' every day on the 6....

Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Senna is a jewel in the roughSenna is a jewel in the roughSenna is a jewel in the rough
Very nice review, definitely would enjoy reading more from you once you have had some more seat time. I am also looking for some direct comparisons to the 997 GT3. (Which you may or may not be able to provide) Grussel will be good for that.

The GT3 and this car definitely fit my personality as well. Just cannot afford both at this time.

Enjoy in good health.
Cheers.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 AM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
Great write up and insights. This car is different than a GT3 but not lesser, and a more appropriate daily driver for some given it's ease of use.

My preference is also for stick shifts, but this engine/transmission/steering/ handling is great. I had not read any pre-press on the car, didn't even know about it, but I got lucky on this car a friend bought one of the first ones and when I saw and heard it I knew it was something very special (just like the GT3) so I jumped at the chance to buy. I'm tempted to take it to Laguna tomorrow, but will resist to break it in properly.

I would describe this car as a nimble little brother to the 599 and it raises the bar in the automotive performance world in it's particular segment. If you don't need a rear seat, it obsoletes a lot of cars out there.

My overall comment on the (my) car is:

"It hits a lot of sweet spots on the road to automotive nirvana"

Get one if you can, before they are really discovered!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Great write-up, its always good to hear reviews coming from a porsche owner and a performance enthusiast because that is what this car is made for: performance

Old 09-06-2007, 03:31 PM
MeanMachine: you're corrrect, the version sold outside the U.S. is slightly differernt as described. The CF door panels and racing seats are beautiful and lightweight. But they don't meet U.S. specs regarding airbags and safety (or should I say, lawyer requirements).

Otherwise the cars are identical with one exception. The US version has 3 driving options: Comfort (C), Sport (S), & Manual (M). Non-U.S. versions have only S & M; no pun intended. And be advised that the difference between S & C is that C starts off in 2nd gear & S in 1st. When driving in "C", things are deliberate with little fanfare. When driving in "S" things pumped up for gamesmanship; oh yeah! Of course M is for F1 paddle shifting; enough said.

Haven't driven with ESP off though.

On another note, just read a review of the new M3 (no competition here) and can definitely appreciate the uniqueness of the 63 Black. Didn't realize that ~75,000 M3's were built of the last iteration. Also they are building ~ 200 M6's/month (for U/S market).

BTW; paid MSRP at M-B Altanta Classic Cars (Lonnie McNear).

To say the least the 63 Black is a keeper (for my 5 y.o. one day.

Thnx,

Old 09-06-2007, 04:31 PM
dmolina is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the review. Looking forward to hearing some more after more seat time. By the way, do you have any pics?? Good luck with it & enjoy!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Carmel
MeanMachine: you're corrrect, the version sold outside the U.S. is slightly differernt as described. The CF door panels and racing seats are beautiful and lightweight. But they don't meet U.S. specs regarding airbags and safety (or should I say, lawyer requirements).

Otherwise the cars are identical with one exception. The US version has 3 driving options: Comfort (C), Sport (S), & Manual (M). Non-U.S. versions have only S & M; no pun intended. And be advised that the difference between S & C is that C starts off in 2nd gear & S in 1st. When driving in "C", things are deliberate with little fanfare. When driving in "S" things pumped up for gamesmanship; oh yeah! Of course M is for F1 paddle shifting; enough said.

Haven't driven with ESP off though.

On another note, just read a review of the new M3 (no competition here) and can definitely appreciate the uniqueness of the 63 Black. Didn't realize that ~75,000 M3's were built of the last iteration. Also they are building ~ 200 M6's/month (for U/S market).

BTW; paid MSRP at M-B Altanta Classic Cars (Lonnie McNear).

To say the least the 63 Black is a keeper (for my 5 y.o. one day.

Thnx,

S mode is the best its the most responsive and starts wit 1st gear, m mode could be pretty boring some times.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:15 PM
ironchefigor is infamous around these parts
Hey man, if you're ever in downtown ATL, I'd love to check out the car, if that would be possible. I've been dying to see one of these in person.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 PM
jerrym is infamous around these parts
Great Write-up.. i saw the car at the previous car meet.. and i must say.. it is pretty nice.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:06 PM
BankBuster23 is infamous around these parts
excellent review. you have done nothing but make me crave this car even more. they weren't kidding about this site, this could become real expensive.

maybe it's just me and my relative youth, but it seems to me like we are in the midst of a great era for cars...perfomance cars. there is just so much out there that choose from. gotta love the HP wars!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I've tried several times to attach Jpeg images without success.

Anyone with any suggestions on how to send images?

Also, MeanMachine, I would think the "M" mode would be more fun, as F-1 paddle shifters are the new-tech style of driving. Witness many performance oriented vehicles developing or offering it as an option.

ironchefigor,, send your best contact info, as I do pass through downtown ATL alot. Usually in & around Crawford Long Hospital. I'd be happy to show you the car.

Thnx,

Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 PM
alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !
Sounds like an amazing car! Enjoy it in good health (which is sounds like you're doing!)

Old 09-07-2007, 12:26 AM
greddy555 is infamous around these parts
great write up enjoy the car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK 63 BS (aka Triple Black) My Impressions