Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

New GL Owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:47 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
New GL Owners?

I am looking at a new GL and have a couple of real world questions that you can't answer on a test drive or at the dealership. Thanks in a advance... and kiss my *** in advance to Russ...

1. What has your fuel mileage been so far? Real world on the highway and around town.

2. Have you had it offroad yet and how did it do?

3. Fit and finish? Overall ride and feel?

Thanks guys and Russ keeps telling me not to get one because they are "Soccer Mom" cars. Lets prove him wrong!

FYI: I am looking at a GL320 CDi. I want the diesel.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tblackj
I am looking at a new GL and have a couple of real world questions that you can't answer on a test drive or at the dealership. Thanks in a advance... and kiss my *** in advance to Russ...

1. What has your fuel mileage been so far? Real world on the highway and around town.

2. Have you had it offroad yet and how did it do?

3. Fit and finish? Overall ride and feel?

Thanks guys and Russ keeps telling me not to get one because they are "Soccer Mom" cars. Lets prove him wrong!

FYI: I am looking at a GL320 CDi. I want the diesel.
You're going to take advice from a guy who drives a baby blue car?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:47 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jimbo
You're going to take advice from a guy who drives a baby blue car?
Oh wow... he's not going to like that... He is probably going to claw your eyes out for that one.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
I've got one. Bought it new and now have 16000 mile on it. It's a 450. The gas mileage is about 14 in the city and 16-18 on the highway. It has been a great car with zero problems. I did take it on the beach. Performed very well through the soft sand and climbed dunes with ease. It's a 27 month lease so I'll let the next guy deal with any issues out of warr. Fit and finish is very good. My only complaint is the door panels look kind of like a cheap plastic. It is a soccer mom car but performs very well for a SUV.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tblackj
Oh wow... he's not going to like that... He is probably going to claw your eyes out for that one.
Yeah, sunglasses... ON

Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by CAPTLST
I've got one. Bought it new and now have 16000 mile on it. It's a 450. The gas mileage is about 14 in the city and 16-18 on the highway. It has been a great car with zero problems. I did take it on the beach. Performed very well through the soft sand and climbed dunes with ease. It's a 27 month lease so I'll let the next guy deal with any issues out of warr. Fit and finish is very good. My only complaint is the door panels look kind of like a cheap plastic. It is a soccer mom car but performs very well for a SUV.
I keep hoping the gas mileage will be better. I can get around that out of my Yukon... I just hate my Yukon.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Mileage for me has been about 13-14 city and 15-17 highway with only a couple of issues.

1. Tranny software update for a rough 3-2 downshift
2. Idler pulley making noise and needed to be replaced
3. Factory 20" Michelin Diamaris tires were cupped at 10k miles and got unbearable at 15k. Just had them replaced for $1850 with alignment at the stealership!

Be weary of the CDI, a lot of people are getting stranded in the middle of the road. Despite a bunch of redesigns, it keep coming off and the car just dies. The GL550 is the ticket!

As far as soccer moms, it may not be a bad thing. My wife loves the GL and it's the first SUV we have had that she has completely taken over and made a daily driver. Her S500 rots in the garage now which means I can replace it with something more "useful"

Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Mileage for me has been about 13-14 city and 15-17 highway with only a couple of issues.

1. Tranny software update for a rough 3-2 downshift
2. Idler pulley making noise and needed to be replaced
3. Factory 20" Michelin Diamaris tires were cupped at 10k miles and got unbearable at 15k. Just had them replaced for $1850 with alignment at the stealership!

Be weary of the CDI, a lot of people are getting stranded in the middle of the road. Despite a bunch of redesigns, it keep coming off and the car just dies. The GL550 is the ticket!

As far as soccer moms, it may not be a bad thing. My wife loves the GL and it's the first SUV we have had that she has completely taken over and made a daily driver. Her S500 rots in the garage now which means I can replace it with something more "useful"
The city mileage is a lot better than my Burb. The highway mileage I can live with. I guess my average will be better.

As long as it is under warranty, I might take the CDi just to see what it will do.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
93 r1 is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen any issues with the CDI

Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
I bought a 2008 GL320 a couple of months ago. It's the best SUV that I've owned so far. I originally wanted a GL550 but liked the GL320 so much that I picked it.

The mileage has been excellent, about 23-24 MPG. Great SUV.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CAPTLST
It is a soccer mom car . . .
As far as soccer moms, it may not be a bad thing. My wife loves the GL and it's the first SUV we have had that she has completely taken over and made a daily driver.
Pretty encouraging reviews there from 2 owners. Have fun driving around Arkansas in that thing. Sounds cool . . .

Old 09-18-2007, 05:14 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 93 r1
I haven't seen any issues with the CDI
Here you go,

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207830

and there are more threads like it. They have several versions of the "redesigned" hose and people are still having problems. Can't speak from personal experience since I have a GL450, but caveat emptor.....

Last edited by 2thfixr; 09-18-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Here you go,

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207830

and there are more threads like it. They have several versions of the "redesigned" hose and people are still having problems. Can't speak from personal experience since I have a GL450, but caveat emptor.....
I was told that the issue has been fixed. No problems with mine so far.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Evo650
I was told that the issue has been fixed. No problems with mine so far.
Keep your fingers crossed, did the dealership tell you that when you bought it? We might be able to get a more definitive answer from Jimbo, I believe he works at a MB dealership.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Did someone call me?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New GL Owners?