Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
avonlady has a spectacular aura aboutavonlady has a spectacular aura about
I'm with schwabe, download safer **** next time hahaha

Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
sandan03 is on a distinguished road
Gosh. Thanks for 'sharing.'

Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Blade929 is on a distinguished road
once your computer is cleaned up both AVG http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage#axzz0c2F13Lp5 and the new MS Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ are good and free.

Last edited by Blade929; 01-08-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by intence
try malwarebytes.org

hopefully it allows you to download.
Berk, not sure if you're still having problems, but I can vouch for this program. It's great for removing Malware. Another good program is Super-Antispyware.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Ok cool. Yes I do. I'll call them.

Originally Posted by Sami
You can usually download the cd's if needed be, I am sure you have the legit OS key on a sticker that is placed on the case. Once you have the OS installed I am sure your computer manufacturer offers all their drivers on their website associated with specific model computer.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
GUYS - The outpouring of suggestions and support is FANTASTIC. I hope this helps out others as well. I think we're going to go to an APPLE next. Enough of this MS CRAP!!!! I will try everything ya'll are suggesting and offering. Thanks guys!!!

And Dom and Mike - YES, I really have to monitor the type of **** my 4 month old is viewing.....HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....either that, or I have to stop letting Pejman use my computer.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Berk, that happended to my dell, luckily I had my photos and other important files on a memory stick, but dell will give you the commands to restore your computer to the day you bought it and the problem is gone. It is a completely free process. If I could remember the commands, I could show you how to do it myself. Just give them a call on the 800 customer service line and they will take care of it.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 01-08-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Berk, that happended to my dell, luckily I had my photos and other important files on a memory stick, but dell will give you the commands to restore your computer to the day you bought it and the problem is gone. It is a completely free process. If I could remember the commands, I could show you how to do it myself. Just give them a call on the 800 customer service line and they will take care of it.
My uncle called Dell just last week for the same thing and it was $100.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks Mario. I will try that. I have an external back up hard drive that I use (A Maxtor) which is awesome, so this is good, I'll just give Dell a call on their 800 #.

Originally Posted by 9Eleven

Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Berk this happened to me yesterday, or at least something very similar. I was able to fix it myself though. What is the name of the bogus anti virus or malware program it wants you to download or buy?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey John. I'll check. Haven't been on the computer for a few days. I'll get back to you.

Originally Posted by deckman
Berk this happened to me yesterday, or at least something very similar. I was able to fix it myself though. What is the name of the bogus anti virus or malware program it wants you to download or buy?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
John Ferguson has a spectacular aura aboutJohn Ferguson has a spectacular aura about
No need to call Dell / pay them $100. Dell computers come with Bootable Recovery CDs and a book that tells you how to use them. It may even have a D: drive with a Recovery partition on it (mine does) and the books that came with it will have instructions on which key strokes during the boot process it takes to begin the Recovery process. The bad news is you will loose all your personal files so you might want to back them up before recovery. The worse news is depending on the virus, those personal files may reinfect your computer so after recovery and before reusing any old files, install a good AV program. Many ISPs give you one for free, mine gives me three copies of McAfee which has prevented me from getting any malware / viruses.

Those offering free copies of Windows may have good intentions but they also might be violating the law. A licensed copy of Windows comes with every Dell, recommend you use your own licensed copy.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:35 PM
^^^Thanks John.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John Ferguson
No need to call Dell / pay them $100. Dell computers come with Bootable Recovery CDs and a book that tells you how to use them. It may even have a D: drive with a Recovery partition on it (mine does) and the books that came with it will have instructions on which key strokes during the boot process it takes to begin the Recovery process. The bad news is you will loose all your personal files so you might want to back them up before recovery. The worse news is depending on the virus, those personal files may reinfect your computer so after recovery and before reusing any old files, install a good AV program. Many ISPs give you one for free, mine gives me three copies of McAfee which has prevented me from getting any malware / viruses.

Those offering free copies of Windows may have good intentions but they also might be violating the law. A licensed copy of Windows comes with every Dell, recommend you use your own licensed copy.
I'm not sure where this one hundred dollar fee is coming from. I called, they put me in touch with a representative, he gave me the prompts/commands and the computer was back to the day I bought it. They never asked for a dime.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Here's the thing. I have a 5 year warranty when I bought the computer. Could it be you guys didn't have the warranty???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CRAP - Got a virus on the computer