Need Help Choosing Schools Systems in VA/MD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:15 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Need Help Choosing Schools Systems in VA/MD

Mid-Atlantic Parents,

Need a little help here. So the wifey and I are beginning a search for another home and want to focus this search on finding some great school systems. Granted, I understand for the most part, the school systems in the NoVA area are higher than the nation in terms of ratings, but we're looking for the best in this area as well. Basically a system and a curriculum that will foster his development on top of what we will teach him at home (NO JOKES HERE....).

So, I know I've heard of Langley HS, Fairfax Schools (not just the county), but I'm looking for suggestions and feedback from the school systems your kids are currently in now. Where should we focus our search on homes (currently looking in Fairfax Station, Clifton, Fairfax, Reston) and what schools should we look for in terms of ELEMENTARY, MIDDLE/INTERMEDIARY AND HIGH SCHOOL?

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 AM
mr 2rbo has a spectacular aura aboutmr 2rbo has a spectacular aura about
Well are you looking for schools just in Va because MD has some of the top rated schools in the nation. For example, it has been a while since I have checked but the schools in bethesda such as Walter Johnson, Whitman were rated in the 40's out of the whole nation, and I know Blair's magnet program was also rated very high. These are all highschools. I feel like for elementary and middle school, a general public school in a nice area should suffice or you could always choose a private school.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Euro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud of
Berk.

We have done both the private school thing as well as the P.W.C. public schools. We were not happy with the Catholic school we had our oldest daughter in, and pulled her out after fourth grade to put her in the public school. We were very happy with the elementary school in our neighborhood. We have been pleased overall with the middle school. There have been a couple of teachers that were not up to par in my eyes, and we were able to address those issues with the administration.

Private schools can be good, but they also can have just as may problems, if not more than the public schools. There were things that were not dealt with in the private school because "someone made a donation". In the public schools that sh*t won't fly.

Give me a call in the evening if you want to talk specifics.

Last edited by Euro SC; 02-04-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Mr 2rbo - Thanks for the suggestion on MD schools. Considering those as well. So, Bethesda is definitely an option. I think PUBLIC school is fine for him, especially the area. Not that interested in private schools, but have been looking at Potomac School (ONE HELL OF A TUITION....hahahahaha, so may go back to tax dollar public schools....hahahahaha). Any other ES, MS and HS suggestions in Rockville, Bethesda I'm guessing??

Clarke - Let's talk for sure. Like I said above, Private Schools are not really what we want to approach just yet. Another reason why we're saying Fairfax/EAST is b/c my wife works downtown and I work in Reston. The commute is getting to us a little bit and just trying to plan out evening activities so we have time to make them with the little guy.

Thanks for the help. Clarke - let's sync up on the phone!!

Berk

Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
pjb
pjb has a spectacular aura aboutpjb has a spectacular aura about
ck your pm. just went through this

Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Stick with VA. Although the schools in Fairfax and Montgomery are roughly equal but highly localized, the payoff will come when they go to college. The VA college system is vastly superior to that of MD. I wish I was thinking that far ahead when my kids were little.

In general this advice is good for anywhere: First focus on the high school cluster and decide which one you want. Then decide on the middle school and finally the elementary school. Most of the the elementary schools feeding the middle school will be good, just be careful about buying a house on the fringe of the district geographically. As the years go by development happens and you could find yourself redistricted to another cluster.

If you do look at Montgomery, focus on the W's. Whitman, W. Churchill, and Wootton.

Last edited by deckman; 02-05-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
Lok into Potomac as well. Churchill is a great high school

Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
John - never thought of it that way of going HS, MS then Elementary. Good call!! The zoning is what concerns me too, so want to go deep to the epicenter. Thanks John. Most likely we'll stay in VA since we've been here for 10 years.

Ahmad - Churchill's in the running too! Potomac School's there too I believe.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Clifton/Chantilly area has some great schools. Liberty Middle school is a brand new middle school off of union mill rd and just opened in 2002. The school it self is very nice and they have a pretty strict (not in bad way) administrative staff. Rocky run middle school which is another school nearby (actually within walking distance to Chantilly HS) is very old, but I'm sure you will get the same pedigree of teachers as you would in any FFX public shcool.

My high schools biggest rival was Westfield high school. Its the newest high school in FFX county and has the best sporting program in the county in my opinion. I don't know if that's a concern of yours, but if my child was very big into sports I definitely wouldn't send my kid to Centreville. That is where I went and their athletic program has just about fell off the map

Also if you child is a genius you could always look into Thomas Jefferson high school. I believe they were ranked in the top 5 of high schools in the country for their academic achievements. PM me if you have any more questions or if I can help in any other way. I can probably give you the best info as far as teaching staff and school facilities.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
OUTSTANDING review!!!! This is exactly the type of guidance I was looking for. Seems Westfields has a great football team from what I hear. I just want my son to have options so good athletics and of course academics. Thanks for this review. Maybe we could talk off line as well/live even at IMA or something to get more detail. Thanks again!!!
+1 rep for all who are helping me here!!!
Berk

Originally Posted by Misanors4
Clifton/Chantilly area has some great schools. Liberty Middle school is a brand new middle school off of union mill rd and just opened in 2002. The school it self is very nice and they have a pretty strict (not in bad way) administrative staff. Rocky run middle school which is another school nearby (actually within walking distance to Chantilly HS) is very old, but I'm sure you will get the same pedigree of teachers as you would in any FFX public shcool.

My high schools biggest rival was Westfield high school. Its the newest high school in FFX county and has the best sporting program in the county in my opinion. I don't know if that's a concern of yours, but if my child was very big into sports I definitely wouldn't send my kid to Centreville. That is where I went and their athletic program has just about fell off the map

Also if you child is a genius you could always look into Thomas Jefferson high school. I believe they were ranked in the top 5 of high schools in the country for their academic achievements. PM me if you have any more questions or if I can help in any other way. I can probably give you the best info as far as teaching staff and school facilities.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 PM
AvusRS6 will become famous soon enoughAvusRS6 will become famous soon enough
Berk, there are lots of factors to consider in this decision. Main one, how much are you willing to spend to move basically. In NoVA, Great Falls/McLean will have your best ES, MS, and HS in the entire county, probably state. Spring Hill, Forestville, and Great Falls ES are considered the best Public ES in the county. Cooper MS is also considered the best public MS, and of course Langley (outside of Thomas Jefferson) best HS in the county and probably state. Now, this comes with a premium I'm sure you know...you gotta fork out the loot for the house in these areas. There are probably 3 or 4 really good Private Schools in NoVA as well, Nysmith, Potomac, Langley School, and probably Flint Hill.

Loudoun, in Ashburn but on the south side of Belmont Ridge Road probably have the better ES, MS, and HS in entire Loudoun.

I'm in the same boat as you. While my kids go to private, I'm beginning question the value I'm really getting. Downside of private schools, they can cost more than 80% of private colleges for K-8 education. You can look at this several ways, take that money and add it to your mortgage and go buy you a house in better school district, ie, GF/McLean, but with this also gives you a better commute for the most part.

Aren't you planning kinda really early? Wasn't your son just born? You have time so take your time, do your research, and make a joint decision with the wife. He won't go to school (public that is) for another 4 to 5 years.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
middle school = cooper
high school = langley
high school = mclean

those are your "best" choices. however, let me add 2 cents.

if i was in your boat, i'd find a normal high school, not the best. it's all about how well you do in school, not where you graduated from unless you go to TJ, but then, it also doesnt mean you are better off than people who graduated from centreville HS.

i've lived in centreville for 9?10 years and graduated there. no matter where you go, there will be potheads and bad environment and it doesn't necessary exist just in poor or rich community school districts. i'd not sweat on school districts.

i know of some parents who sacrifice everything just for high school districts, which i think is ridiculous, but it may be worth it to them. as mentioned previously, from my experience, highly rated high schools are typically located within "rich" community if you know what i mean.

private schools...i'd pass. at the end, all that matters are AP/IB credits imo (assuming that you are an average person).

i hope i didn't offend anyone and if i did, i apologize. just trying to help out.

[edit] if Fairfax Station, Clifton, Fairfax, Reston are your options, i'd look into reston or oakton.

Last edited by Enilder; 02-05-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Alex - now we're getting thorough. This is what I need. Yeah, he's still a young guy (just turned 5 months old), but my wife and I are thinking of starting the search now for the new home. May be a year or so before we feel like pulling the trigger, but thought we'd get started now. Unless we find the house of our dreams at the right price, we're thankfully in no rush. Private School, while good, I think the public schools are so solid in this area for the most part even comparing to nationally, that I think we're getting a solid curriculum and education for the children.

Enilder - no offense taken bud and I can see where you're going with this. I agree, there is no stopping the "negative" aspects of any type of school (public or private, or regardless of where they are). Our plan is to just find a curriculum/school that can give our children a well rounded experience academically and athletically. It will obviously be our job as parents as well to keep them focused.

Thanks for all the help guys and keep the suggestions coming. Also, if there are any suggestions you may have in terms of "NEIGHBORHOODS TO LIVE IN WITHIN THESE SCHOOL'S". Thanks guys!!!

+1 rep for Alex and Enilder.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 AM
avonlady has a spectacular aura aboutavonlady has a spectacular aura about
Thomas Jefferson HS. Rated #1 public school in the US...... And if your talking about driving all the way to Langley this should not be a problem for you.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM
lax01 will become famous soon enough
Churchill Grad here...look how great I turned out...I own a BMW!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Schools Systems in VA/MD