Any Cool Industrial Photo Shoot Spots In Nova Or DC?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
1 slow 97 will become famous soon enough
Any Cool Industrial Photo Shoot Spots In Nova Or DC?

Just completled my project and wanted to take some cool photo's of the car in an industrial/grafitti ladden place. Any recommendations for anything in nova or Dc area? Something similar to these pics maybe

or

Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Tweek's Turbos is on a distinguished road
You can try the area around the DC medical examiners office in SE. There is an old abandoned hospital next to the jail and across from the in use hospital.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Paul_DC is on a distinguished road
The Urban Exploration (UE) has a wild sub-culture around abandoned buildings around the US. Equipped with their own tagging language to let people know info about bldgs w/o ever going inside. I'd be game if you want someone else to go along given a lot of these places have some "wack jobs" who live or engage in various illegal activities there. Used to do this a lot (the Urban Decay stuff, not the illegal stuff) in Buffalo and Rochester NY (go figure).

Not too uncommon to be hassled by the local authorities, but if you are being smart / cautious / respectful you will typically get a warning. A lot of the local security at the larger facilities will show you around and help you out if you are ok. Those that try to swipe copper, or do other things tend to get nailed and nailed badly. Not uncommon to have your car searched as well. Of course doing this from the outside of a location makes it a lot safer and easier, but that much harder to get an expensive car near a sweet spot.

You might want to try and post something on The DC Urban Exploration Meetup group http://www.meetup.com/dcurbanexplorers/

Or here on the "Infiltration" site at http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthreads.asp?fid=3&catid=308

There used to be several locations in Loudon County, but almost all have been torn down. Richmond has several, but that is a drive.

If you want to drive 2 hours south, you can head to Stauton VA, and go to the "Western State Hospital" aka asylum. Wacked place, but you used to be able to get a car in and around it.

One random thought -- the one time I tried to do this with a car, I realized you need to bring a few items most important is a broom to clear away piles of broken class second most important is at least 1-2 other people (see above) especially if you are walking around the building yourself (wood rots, people fall etc etc).

Let us know what you find...

Old 07-09-2010, 05:48 AM
essayons will become famous soon enough
There used to be a great old rundown farmhouse and silo on RT 7 west bound side near Ashburn. We found a side road that went right up to it back in the day. Haven't been up that way in a long time, though, so I dunno if it's still standing.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
I know you said NOVA & DC, but I stumbled upon this place in Ellicot City, MD. About 25 min. north of the beltway off of Rt 29. These are test shots I took to see how it would come out. Notice the wife sitting in the dirty car.

Name:  _DSC0009.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  _DSC0007.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  96.8 KB

In case any one wants to do this spot, I would be up for it.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM
dwpers is on a distinguished road
As far as urban areas goes, as suggested you could try SE DC, or the railroad depot in Burke near 7100 (don't know exact location).

I've been struggling to find some good locations myself.

I'm up for anything I need to build my portfolio up again after losing most of it.
http://www.flickr.com/dwpers

Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
Not sure how much of the Alexandria rail yard is left. That used to be a great spot.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Scott,

Can you PM me the addy for the place in EC?

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Paul_DC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Scott,

Can you PM me the addy for the place in EC?

Thanks.
Can you PM it to me as well? Interested in checking it out...not much else going on Sunday.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Since I don't know the street address, here is the birdseye of it. Roll down main street, under the tracks then its the large plant on the right.

Corner of Westchester and Main Street, Ellicott City, MD

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...20City%2C%20MD

Last edited by Scott in SS MD; 07-25-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
If you're willing to drive to Baltimore, I know two great areas for pictures. The first picture is in a spot called Writer's Alley. The second picture is an abandoned factory down by the stadiums

Originally Posted by Scott in SS MD
I know you said NOVA & DC, but I stumbled upon this place in Ellicot City, MD. About 25 min. north of the beltway off of Rt 29. These are test shots I took to see how it would come out. Notice the wife sitting in the dirty car.

I know that area tooooooo!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Forgot about this thread. I shot some photos of my friend's truck down by the stadiums in Baltimore (same spot as the pic of my old Mustang above)

Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Ah, yes. Ye ole Hammerjack's parking lot. Chris, you're proly too young to know about that place. Good times.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe we can all stop by Scores while we're there....BTW - I'll be there on Saturday night if anyone wants to join.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
That's a damn good looking Dodge and man that spot with all the graffiti looks like an awesome spot. Although it is considered vandalizing, it's still very impressive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any Cool Industrial Photo Shoot Spots In Nova Or DC?