2020 Katie's Cars & Coffee Thread - Great Falls, VA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 04:50 PM
rcollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nice
Originally Posted by Myclue
great pics! thanks for sharing
Thanks! If people will send me their pics, I will keep posting! Send your favorite pics to - Robert_collum@hotmail.com.

--Bob Collum

Old 04-11-2020, 03:42 PM
rcollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nice
Best of Katie's, 04/11/20

Still another week of Social Distancing, so - no Katie's Cars & Coffee. I hope everyone is well. I drove over and picked up lunch at the Old Brogue. Thanks to Mike Swiek for his pictures.

--Bob Collum

Old 04-18-2020, 08:11 AM
BEST of KATIE'S - 04/18/20

Some memorable cars from past Katie's Saturday mornings:

Old 04-19-2020, 06:19 AM
A nice online article about Katie's (with pictures), including the opportunity to get a video of your car on the Petersen Museum website:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/04/even-cars-and-coffee-is-going-virtual-thanks-to-covid-19/

--Bob Collum

Last edited by rcollum; 04-20-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:28 AM
BEST of KATIE'S, 04/25/20

Thanks again to friends who are helping supply pictures of cars & people from past Katie's (and other car events). Send pictures to me at - Robert_collum@hotmail.com.

-Bob Collum

Old 04-25-2020, 07:39 AM
BEST of KATIE'S, 04/25/20 - Part 2

A large part of enjoying cars & coffee is friendships made there. There's an amazing amount of knowledge and experience. Case in point - one of the group at the 'Old Guys Table' at Katie's is Peter K. Peter has several very nice cars - that's not unusual at Katie's. When I asked my friends for some pictures to post, Peter sent the pics below. Peter worked for Group 44, the racing team. The pictures are from the 1984 Daytona 24 hour race. That's Group 44's Jaguar XJR-5.

--Bob Collum

Old 04-26-2020, 02:24 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Memories vs. the future...

The venue at Katie's is unfortunately the ultimate in social 'compression'....if our beloved cars & coffee events are to return they are going to need to be in large parking lots where we can reasonably distance one another and our cars. So, the photo memories are great but we need to look to the future IMHO.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by tssci
The venue at Katie's is unfortunately the ultimate in social 'compression'....if our beloved cars & coffee events are to return they are going to need to be in large parking lots where we can reasonably distance one another and our cars. So, the photo memories are great but we need to look to the future IMHO.
We will certainly have to give lots of things a new look... I'm not sure the cars will need to be farther apart - but people will certainly need to keep their distance, and I see that as a challenge. We should be thinking about the best way to move forward with the gatherings we love.

In the meantime, I feel the need to trot out old pictures, to keep from going stir-crazy!

Thanks,

--Bob Collum

Old 05-02-2020, 11:22 AM
BEST of KATIE'S, 05/02/20

Yes, we are still socially distancing, so no physical Katie's Cars & Coffee - we will make do with this virtual one. As soon as we are able to go back to Katie's in-person, I will let you know.

--Bob Collum

Old 05-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Best of Katie's, 05/09/20

As we continue practicing social distancing, we all long for the day that we can get back out and see friends at car events. Until that can happen safely, I will continue posting pics from previous events. Feel free to post some of your favorites, too! My friends and I have found it useful to have weekly video conference calls, to keep in touch. Take care of yourself!

--Bob Collum

Last edited by rcollum; 05-09-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:04 PM
BEST of KATIE'S, 05/16/20

Looks like at least two more weeks of social distancing. I will let you know here, when Katie's Cars & Coffee is back open. Until then, here are some notable cars from the past...

--Bob Collum

Old 05-23-2020, 08:15 AM
BEST of KATIE'S, 05/23/20

Still no Katie's Cars & Coffee, due to social distancing requirements. I will let you know here, when I hear the restrictions are lifted. (Unlikely to be soon!)
In the meantime, here are some pics from previous year gatherings. Thanks to Mike Swiek for providing some better-quality photos than I can muster.

--Bob Collum

Old 05-25-2020, 05:11 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Bob...Katie's Cars & Coffee - in a much reduced form - was certainly going on last Saturday, 16 May (I did not do a drive by yesterday). About 10 cars, no social distancing, and only saw one guy adorning a mask. The Sunday event at Dulles Landing (held on Sundays) had about 40 cars with Duncan Donuts open for walk-in and take out, so a somewhat normal gathering other than the number of cars. The Dulles event is always well represented by Loudoun County Sheriffs...some great car guys, and they had no issue with the gathering.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:28 AM
Katie's Cars & Coffee, CLOSED for the Time Being!

Originally Posted by tssci
Bob...Katie's Cars & Coffee - in a much reduced form - was certainly going on last Saturday, 16 May (I did not do a drive by yesterday). About 10 cars, no social distancing, and only saw one guy adorning a mask. The Sunday event at Dulles Landing (held on Sundays) had about 40 cars with Duncan Donuts open for walk-in and take out, so a somewhat normal gathering other than the number of cars. The Dulles event is always well represented by Loudoun County Sheriffs...some great car guys, and they had no issue with the gathering.
I'm glad you brought this up. I exchanged emails with Mike K., owner of Katie's. He said a few cars have showed up, even though the sign is posted that the event is closed.
At this point in time, Mike is convinced that he cannot open back up for regular business, and keep his employees and patrons safe. Keep in mind, we are his guests, on his lot.
I suggest we respect his wishes, and hold off, until he is sure it's safe. If anyone asks you, Katie's is closed for Cars & Coffee, until further notice. Mike said he will let me know as soon as they are ready to again host Cars & Coffee, and I will post it here. I'm sure it will also be posted on the Katie's FaceBook page, and the Katie's web page.

When occasional problems with a few attendees was reported in the past, I have heard some people suggest that Katie's is lucky to have that much business. If you look around, you will find that a fair amount of people bring their own coffee and food with them, which nets Katie's zero. I have been going there every week for years, and I only spend about $12 for breakfast. When you consider that dinner at the Old Brogue almost always includes beer and alcohol, you begin to understand that breakfast, for Katie's, is not a major money-maker. Mike is providing a service, and employing a lot of people who get up INSANELY early to serve us. Let's not impose on their hospitality, before they are ready to safely serve us.

Also, a public service announcement from my friend, who is an ER doctor: Wearing a mask is not a sign of weakness, or a political statement. It is a sign that you understand that this virus can be transmitted to others via talking, or coughing, or sneezing. It's less for keeping you safe (though it helps), and more a sign that you recognize your responsibility to not spread the virus to others. You can spread the virus, even if you have no symptoms.

Thanks!

--Bob Collum

Old 05-30-2020, 09:36 AM
Best of Katie's, 05/30/20

Here we are, at the end of May, and Katie's Cars & Coffee is still closed. As I mentioned before, I have communicated with Mike K., the owner of Katie's, and he is not yet ready to welcome Cars & Coffee back to his place. As soon as I have updated information on this, I will post it here.

In the meantime, in the absence of a physical get-together, I offer you some pics from the past. This week's guest photographer is Mike Swiek, who provided all these photos. It goes without saying (at least by me) that this week's photo quality is way better than usual. Thanks, Mike!

--Bob Collum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 Katie's Cars & Coffee Thread - Great Falls, VA