Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Need mini help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
henryr will become famous soon enoughhenryr will become famous soon enough
Need mini help

hey guys,

i am either looking for a used mini that has had some mods which it would make it track worthy for track day and street usage or i'd be looking to buy a used car and do the mods myself.

specifically, what mods (such as suspension / brakes) would i want to make. actual products rec's please.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
henryr will become famous soon enoughhenryr will become famous soon enough
what year / options would make a good base car ? not looking to break the bank here. just a clean driver and something thrash at the track

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
healey67 is on a distinguished road
Check out sunshineminis.org and look in the MINI classifieds. There is a Chili Red MINI R53 that is up for sale with a FEW mods on it.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 PM
dynamicss is infamous around these partsdynamicss is infamous around these partsdynamicss is infamous around these partsdynamicss is infamous around these partsdynamicss is infamous around these partsdynamicss is infamous around these parts
you could go with a decent set of H&R RSS coilovers (not as expensive as the others), with H-sport 27mm front (don't really need it, unless you really and truly track the car) and 25mm rear sway bars (again 22mm is just fine unless you really and truely track the car.) front and rear stress bars are all the mods you pretty much need for the suspension. You could also get camber plates and control arms and a-arms... but they are all useless.... I've had lots of professional help with mine.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 PM
beaner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dynamicss
you could go with a decent set of H&R RSS coilovers (not as expensive as the others), with H-sport 27mm front (don't really need it, unless you really and truly track the car) and 25mm rear sway bars (again 22mm is just fine unless you really and truely track the car.) front and rear stress bars are all the mods you pretty much need for the suspension. You could also get camber plates and control arms and a-arms... but they are all useless.... I've had lots of professional help with mine.
i tracked my daily driver quite a bit before deciding to make it a track only toy. i would have to disagree with the above post. any increase in front anti-sway bars is not a good idea on a car that inherently understeers from the factory. front and rear stress bars do next to nothing for the handling (especially the rears which don't tie into any suspension pickup points). camber plates are a MUST have item. i would go through a set of tires in two short sessions without them. adjustable lower rear control arms are required only if the car has been lowered over an inch with coilovers or springs. rear camber becomes excessive when lowered. i don't know who is giving you professional advice, but it goes against what i (and my track-rat buddies) have learned on the track, in depth conversations with many MINI racers and information read on other forums. my .02

to answer the op....the car is fun and fast from the factory. upgraded brake fluid, track only brake pads, more front camber will help you hustle it around the track better. r-comps will become necessary when you get faster and get tired or replacing your street tires. an 15% pulley will add some power, but the MINI still isn't a powerhouse. we catch them in the twisty bits and under braking.

Last edited by beaner; 04-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.