Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Any years of Mini Cooper S to avoid, and what gremlins to look out for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Any years of Mini Cooper S to avoid, and what gremlins to look out for?

Kicking around the idea of getting a used Mini CS.

Any problem years to stay away from?

What about typical problems to keep an eye out for?

Thanks, guys.

Dave

Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 AM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
The first thing you have to decide is which engine you want. The S had a supercharged engine through 2006, after that a different turbocharged engine. MINI made small improvements each year so the 2005/2006 supercharged cars would be better than earlier ones. I don't believe there have been many changes in the turbos since they came out in 2007. Both models are good cars, the turbo ones have a little better fuel economy and most people think they ride smoother at the expense of some of the crisp handling. The turbos are also slightly larger and you can get a nice little 3 door wagon version if you want a little more room for the kids.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Thanks, that's helpful.

Do you know what year the weight-sensing airbag systems were implemented? In case a young one wants to ride shotgun?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
I've read that the sensing front airbag systems generally went into US cars in the 2000-2001 period but I'm not positive. In 2005 MINI made a switch available that allowed the front passenger air bag to be turned off, for a child seat, and there were some other procedures reported for turning it off but I don't know if they work on all cars in all markets. The MINI also has a side airbag built into the outside of the front seats, I believe there are a total of six- two front, two in the seat sides and two upper ones in the headliner.