New Member Introductions New here? Introduce yourself to the 6SpeedOnline Community and show us your ride!

New Guy in St. Louis

Old 06-25-2017, 07:49 PM
megalo is an unknown quantity at this point
New Guy in St. Louis

I purchased a new-to-me 2003 996 Targa about 8 months ago, after doing a ton of research on these forums. I drove it for 6 months, then decided to drop the motor and swap out the IMS bearing for one of the big name kits, as well as fix some oil leaks and replace stuff like the AOS and clutch while it's all out.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of an idiot and it didn't even come into my brain that my 2003 might not have the original engine. Apparently at some point before the previous owner owned the car, the engine was replaced with a late 2005 remanufactured engine, complete with the non-serviceable IMS bearing - which is a bit of a screwup now that I have $2000 in parts and tools to do the job. At this point, I'll likely end up just selling the kit and tools for a decent loss and just put the car back together and enjoy it. The cost to have the engine split and bearing swapped out is not worth it to me, I don't think.

Speaking of gambling with out of warranty Porsches, I am also strongly considering a used Panamera 4S or possibly Turbo to replace my BMW 335i sedan.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to 6Speed and congrats on the purchase of your 996! Be sure to check out our tech articles below for more info on the 996 (DIY Help link) and if you ever need anything please let me know. Got any pictures?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Autolist is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the community!

Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 PM
megalo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome to 6Speed and congrats on the purchase of your 996! Be sure to check out our tech articles below for more info on the 996 (DIY Help link) and if you ever need anything please let me know. Got any pictures?
Yep. I've already ordered a ton of parts from your site after reading articles.

I don't have any good pictures handy, but here's one from the night I picked it up.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.