Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GT-R drivetrain warranty claim denied because owner turned traction control off!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM
RandomName is on a distinguished road
GT-R engine is hand built by 1 technician from start to finish. To get less mass produced would be a technician hand built engine with one arm tied behind his back

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124083

Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Good luck GTR owners... I have a range rover and I turned off the traction control in that! Imagine having a million horsepower in your front bonnet and can't really use them!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
JackGt3 has a spectacular aura aboutJackGt3 has a spectacular aura about
All i can say is watch the prices of these drop like a rock soon b/w the BS and the economy, if anyone wants one just wait a little bit, you'll save a boatload!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 PM
RandomName is on a distinguished road
I sure hope so. b/c those damn 997 GT3s aren't dropping in price....

Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jasperg35
lol! amazing...

the only way to 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is to engage launch control - does that void warranty? no. please don't just parrot useless quotes from the internet.

it has been clearly stated the position of nissan and the term 'abuse' and 'repeated use', etc... what hasn't been determined is the clutch replacement.

so there aren't enough mods already to make 600hp+? you need more?
To engage launch control you need to disable VDC, which Nissan clearly states voids your warranty in the owner's manual. On page 6 of the owner's manual, under "what is not covered by the warranty", it clearly states ""- Operating the vehicle with the VDC off, except when rocking vehicle stuck in mud or snow". So yes, you do void your warranty by using launch control, Einstein.

"Activating the Nissan GT-R's launch control is a matter of configuring its transmission, dynamics control and damping adjustments properly. The transmission and damping switches must both be set to the R mode and the VDC must be switched off completely by holding the VDC-R button down for a few seconds." http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=124017

Last edited by Tuskir; 10-08-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
so let me get this straight... you are saying that using launch control means that something is going to break, and must be fixed, and the dealer is not going to cover it under warranty. is that what you're saying?

if it is, i've got news for you (although i'm not einstein), things don't always break like you think they are. perhaps that's where we disagree.

i've disengaged vdc. and i still have a warranty. how do you explain that?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:05 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
i've disengaged vdc. and i still have a warranty. how do you explain that?
Maybe Nissan have not found out yet. I just don't understand why Nissan made this launch control function, to cut on service costs?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SRatha
Maybe Nissan have not found out yet. I just don't understand why Nissan made this launch control function, to cut on service costs?
i told them. they've seen it.

#1 if nothing breaks, there is no warranty claim.

#2 i never used launch control.

is it possible to engage launch control and have nothing break? yes.

why would warranty even come into play in that scenario? that was my question. the original statements were absolutes. usually, absolutes are open for interpretation, and possibly incorrect.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
This issue with the LC "voiding" the warranty has spread through the internet forums like wildfire!!!

Im sure now Nissan will address this in some form.

Has this issue stopped or hindered me from enjoying my GT-R? HELL NO!!!! I drive my car! But I don't abuse it either! 20 something LC's in the span of a month is abuse!!! Im sure when the GT-R technicans opened up the tranny they knew instantly the tranny was shot due to irresponsible-abusive driving of the GT-R owner.

The 996 turbo had transmission problems as well, called "2nd gear pop-out". Many owners were turned down for service. Porsche called it abusive driving as well. Even though it was a well documented design flaw. Fortunately, it didnt cost $20k to fix for those who got denied a warranty claim.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:23 PM
rcalcaide - i think you are completely mistaken. haven't you been reading those forums? the only car that ever had warranty issues with the transmission is the nissan gt-r...

never has any other company ever turned down a warranty claim about anything - ever.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:31 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
rcalcaide - i think you are completely mistaken. haven't you been reading those forums? the only car that ever had warranty issues with the transmission is the nissan gt-r...

never has any other company ever turned down a warranty claim about anything - ever.

yeah, its only the GT-R. When you are the hottest-new item or topic in anything, everyone wants to take you down. Everyone hates the top-dog. BUT everyone WANTS to be the top-dog!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM
JeffAhn is on a distinguished road
Maybe Nissan already saw this coming

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...09_GTR_SMG.pdf

I laughed at page 54.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by JeffAhn
Maybe Nissan already saw this coming

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...09_GTR_SMG.pdf

I laughed at page 54.
it took you this long to read it? you didn't notice this in the other 42 threads going around?

but thanks for that post...

welcome, and please make your second post more informative.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:53 PM
JeffAhn is on a distinguished road
it took you this long to read it? you didn't notice this in the other 42 threads going around?

but thanks for that post...

welcome, and please make your second post more informative.

yup took me this long to read it - i R retarded </informative post>

Old 10-09-2008, 04:15 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
From what I have read, Nissan didn't have a very large budget for the GT-R to begin with. Renault saved their buts and the GT-R is the result of it. I'm not going to dog on either Nissan or the guy whos having problems, but I have read of 3 other cases like this. It can't be complete coincedence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R drivetrain warranty claim denied because owner turned traction control off!!