Workout routines...help a fat as get in better shape!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
ttowsontt will become famous soon enough
just googled a little and found this randomly from vanderbilt universities website:

A common misconception about excess protein in the diet is that it can cause kidney damage; excess protein cannot cause kidney damage even though it does make the kidneys work harder. When protein is metabolized nitrogen is a by - product; the kidneys work to remove the extra nitrogen from the body. As of yet, no studies have found an high rate of kidney problems in strength athletes as would be expected if too much protein caused kidney damage. Also, Zaragoza et al. (1987) studied animals with very high protein intakes for more than half their life span and found no serious adverse effects.
High intake levels of protein can lead to increased water loss because the body excretes water to dispose of urea, a substance formed in the breakdown of protein. Water loss coupled with the fact that most athletes loose a great amount of water through sweat, can lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not properly monitored. An excess of purified protein can, however, take calcium away from bones, thus predisposing one for osteoporosis.

just checked some of my personal notes and was told (right or wrong) that the average person should consume 1gram protein per 1lb of weight and athletes should consume between 1.5 -2 grams per lb body weight

Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
I would not go any higher than that. I supplement 1 shake at 32 grams daily along with my food. But I'm also burning about 4000+calories a day just working out. That doesn't include the calories my body burns just to support life. My intake right now is anywhere between 6-9000 calories a day depending on where I am on the workout schedule.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Michael2364
I would not go any higher than that. I supplement 1 shake at 32 grams daily along with my food. But I'm also burning about 4000+calories a day just working out. That doesn't include the calories my body burns just to support life. My intake right now is anywhere between 6-9000 calories a day depending on where I am on the workout schedule.
yeah i dont consume nearly that many calories in day, in the past i tried to eat over 4k a day and it is just such a chore, i applaud you for being able to suck down that much food

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
also, i only burn around 500-600 calories a day doing cardio, not sure how many calories im burning when im lifting and have no clue whatsoever what my standing metabolism is. that would be a good thing to know

Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ttowsontt
just googled a little and found this randomly from vanderbilt universities website:

A common misconception about excess protein in the diet is that it can cause kidney damage; excess protein cannot cause kidney damage even though it does make the kidneys work harder. When protein is metabolized nitrogen is a by - product; the kidneys work to remove the extra nitrogen from the body. As of yet, no studies have found an high rate of kidney problems in strength athletes as would be expected if too much protein caused kidney damage. Also, Zaragoza et al. (1987) studied animals with very high protein intakes for more than half their life span and found no serious adverse effects.
High intake levels of protein can lead to increased water loss because the body excretes water to dispose of urea, a substance formed in the breakdown of protein. Water loss coupled with the fact that most athletes loose a great amount of water through sweat, can lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not properly monitored. An excess of purified protein can, however, take calcium away from bones, thus predisposing one for osteoporosis.

just checked some of my personal notes and was told (right or wrong) that the average person should consume 1gram protein per 1lb of weight and athletes should consume between 1.5 -2 grams per lb body weight
1:1 is perfectly normal and you can easily achieve this through food alone. which is the original point I made before. I'm glad you posted that snippet, it covers things i didn't want to drag into this. That study is 10 years old also. I will be visiting my Human performace professor on Friday, I'll get the info from him and send it your way .I know of 3 elite athletes that have permenent kidney damage from doing stupid things with protien. Don't lose sleep over this.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
1:1 is perfectly normal and you can easily achieve this through food alone. which is the original point I made before. I'm glad you posted that snippet, it covers things i didn't want to drag into this. That study is 10 years old also. I will be visiting my Human performace professor on Friday, I'll get the info from him and send it your way .I know of 3 elite athletes that have permenent kidney damage from doing stupid things with protien. Don't lose sleep over this.
yeah like i said, i just randomly googled it so i wasnt sure of how accurate it might be but i would love to hear some more info from you on this

Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
ironchefigor has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How are you burning 4000 calories working out? What are you doing? I need to start doing that lol.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Banned
Bsaint is on a distinguished road
Ugh so much wrong info.

First of all you are not going to hurt your kidneys from protein,
Second 1gram a protein per lb of body weight is good if you are trying to sustain a current muscle mass or bodyfat. If you want to gain muscle as well as sustain your current mass you need atleast 1.3 grams per 1lb of body weight. 1.5 is a bit overkill and is prob a waste of money. Your body can only absorb so much at a time and even if you spread it out throughout the day, you are just going to have some heavy turds. Yes the kidneys are important when breaking down protein, however when they get to much they simply just have trouble breaking apart the protein from the food. So your body just expels the waste. Also your "elite" athletes I am almost positive didn't get kidney damage from protein, usually it is from other things such as... On/Off cycle with no Perfect cycle or liver support like Milk Thistle or even smoking/drinking. You have a better chance of getting liver failure drinking or smoking on a regular basis then you do taking 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight.

Also I highly doubt you are at 5% bf, unless you had a hydrostatic weigh that is not something you can just guess. Most bodybuilders on stage are only around 3-4% and are dizzy and have been dehydrated past comfort level.

Also he is NOT burning 4,000 calories during a workout, I don't care how much cardio/lifting he is doing. I can see around 3-4k a day... because you have to take account for the fact that you are burning calories all the time, walking, chewing, even sitting as well as having a larger muscle mass and BMR.

Refer back to my original post on page 1 for some decent advise.

Also for some inspiration see my friends lifting video from last year, this was at age 20 6-7% bodyfat (off season) all natural. Dedication at it's max, hasn't drank in 4 years and works out 5-6 times a week, while training people on the side. Has won 2 competitions already and his first at the age of 18.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=__L7OT8lWSM

Also I should be done this years video, it is even more impressive with 585lb shrugs, 150lb dumbell press, and 100lb flys

Last edited by Bsaint; 06-04-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:18 AM
in reference to my body fat, i know that a buoyancy test is the most accurate and my nutritionalist is just using a skin fold, not nearly as accurate but what it does do is give me a measurement every month that i can see how i am doing in relation to lean mass, weight, etc. and from that i can adjust accordingly. and this isnt the first person to measure me at or around 5% so im sure its not too off

Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 AM
BeastRides101 is on a distinguished road
Same advice as everyone else: Cardio early in the morning, cut bad carbs, eat fruits, veg and lean meats.

Try to walk stairs at work and park furthur away.

Don't completely try to change your lifestyle all at once, or you'll revert back quickly, change slowly and start cutting out the bad things. After a while you'll be living a healthy lifestyle and won't even like the hardcore sweets any more.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 AM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
Just remember that protien will be stored as fat just like any other macro nutrient (fat and carbs) as it had calories in just like everything else. You have to fit that 1 to 1.5 grams per pound in your daily calorie allowance.
Remember to use the 1 to 1.5 gram of protien ratio for LEAN body weight. This is your body weight minus the fat. So if you're 200 lbs and 20% body fat you'll consume protien based on 180 lbs of body weight.

tw

Old 06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
pod
pod is on a distinguished road
dont even do workouts yet, get a personal trainer for that as working out is a life long journey and not jsut a 3 month thing

the best thing to do is eat how you are now and cut out say the top bread of a sandwich , then do it for dinner, after 1-2 weeks do that and add taking off one less bite form your food, then in 3-4 weeks take out dessert ( you don't need that crap)................ I could go on and no, but you get the idea, just cut down what your eating, don't stop eating and switch to salads or your gonna gain when you stop
eating them, the trick is to eating whatever crap you want, just limit yourself to how much you eat. this is the best way as you need to learn portion control the rest of your life and doing weird diets don't work as your body is gonna change once you go off them.

also never eat that diet crap from GNC. they'll tell you its natural stuff, still not good as pot is natural and will mess you up........................

all you need is portion control, you won't be in tip top shape but you'll be better off then a big dude, if you can do that for a year, then upgrade to working out as working out you have to stick to a schedule and then tweak your eating habits ( which a professional can match you with)

Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned
Bsaint is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pod
dont even do workouts yet, get a personal trainer for that as working out is a life long journey and not jsut a 3 month thing

the best thing to do is eat how you are now and cut out say the top bread of a sandwich , then do it for dinner, after 1-2 weeks do that and add taking off one less bite form your food, then in 3-4 weeks take out dessert ( you don't need that crap)................ I could go on and no, but you get the idea, just cut down what your eating, don't stop eating and switch to salads or your gonna gain when you stop
eating them, the trick is to eating whatever crap you want, just limit yourself to how much you eat. this is the best way as you need to learn portion control the rest of your life and doing weird diets don't work as your body is gonna change once you go off them.

also never eat that diet crap from GNC. they'll tell you its natural stuff, still not good as pot is natural and will mess you up........................

all you need is portion control, you won't be in tip top shape but you'll be better off then a big dude, if you can do that for a year, then upgrade to working out as working out you have to stick to a schedule and then tweak your eating habits ( which a professional can match you with)

.... this is alright and all if he wants to lose 30lbs in the next 10 years.

Judging by his week so far, it sounds like he knows what he is doing and is on the right track, The only thing is you should get into the gym and be using some sort of resistance/weight control even if it's small. Pushups, situps, and pull ups will only do so much.

Food: Breakfast will be a 3 egg omlette with water and a multi grain english muffin (no butter, unless I hear otherwise). I'll switch that off every couple of days with a bowl of wheat chex or a bowl of oatmeal.
Snack mid-morning will be an apple, banana or a box of raisins.
Lunch: I was thinking turkey sandwiches, tuna fish or the occasional grilled chicken sandwich.
Dinner: This is gonna be the toughest meal of the day since I love my pasta and such. Plus I gotta try to make things that Sandy wants to eat too. But again, will try to keep this to grilled chicken salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, turkey burgers, shrimp, crab legs, maybe some salmon. Not trying to starve myself, but just eat a little better.

Workouts:
Sunday: Chest, cardio (walk or run on elliptical), 100 (2x50)sit ups
Monday: Cardio, 100 situps
Tues: Cardio, Legs, 100 situps, 35 push ups (or as many as I can do)
Wed: Cardio, 50 crunches (or as many as I can do),
Thurs: Arms (biceps, triceps), 100 situps
Friday: Cardio, 50 crunches, 35 pushups
Sat: Cardio only...and Cars & coffee

Last edited by Bsaint; 06-04-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
pod
pod is on a distinguished road
^ I helped a friend, and he lost 50 pounds in 3 months. and that was in winter months.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM
CCns23 has a spectacular aura aboutCCns23 has a spectacular aura about
Well, I would join a gym but I really don't need to at this point. I have what I think are the basics for now which I can stick too. In the basement I have a weight bench (with the leg extender thing), Squat rack (that allows me to lock the bar in place if I don't have a spotter) and an elliptical machine. Again, only the basics, but that's all I feel need for now. There's also a park 200 yards from my house with a few miles of trails. Right now I'm walking, briskly, 3 1/2 laps (each lap is 1.2miles) which totals a little over 4 miles to start. Every couple weeks I'll increase a half lap to a lap. For weight training, I'm sticking to the basics. Bench press, Incline bench, decline bench, french presses, curls, reverse grip curls, concentration curls, squats, lunges, dead lifts, etc. Just basic, basic stuff. It's not like I've never worked out before, it's just been a looong as time since I have

My biggest problem I think has just been motivation. Yes, my diet needs to change just a bit, but really I think it's just that I haven't really been active in anything for a number of years.

Thank you thank you thank you all for taking the time to give your advice and opinions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Workout routines...help a fat as get in better shape!!