Oregon Raceway Park Review (no pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Oregon Raceway Park Review (no pics)

Finished my first lapping day at Oregon Raceway Park (ORP) yesterday - day two of the Proformance field trip.
Portland International Raceway (PIR) on Thursday and ORP on Friday.

ORP is simply awesome!
By far the best track in the NW.
If you are a skier, ORP is a double black diamond ski run -- constant elevation changes, blind corners, decreasing radius corners, off camber turns, etc.
There is no place to "take a break" mentally -- normally you can "catch your breath" on the straights but the ORP straight (running clockwise) has a bit of a hairy entry and a table top at the end right before the braking zone for T1 -- and the straight is not that long (I was seeing 111-115 mph)
I can only really liken it to a roller coaster that you drive.

the only drawvback -- 5 hours door to door from Magnolia to ORP with one gas stop in a truck with trailer.

however -- worth the trip.

I have not run at Spokane or Mission (BC) but I can assure you that ORP is the cat's a$$ when compared to PR and PIR.

Accomodations -- I stayed at the Three Rivers Inn in Biggs, OR (at the intersection of 97 and 84 right on the Columbia River) and you can get a motel in Moro, OR which is a bit closer to the track.

There is a roughly 2 mile gravel drive to get to the track but I hear that it will eventually be paved... and for the time being, bring gas unless you know the on site tank will be full and selling.

In a word -- marvelous!

Get out there... you will love it.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
agreed.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
How is that Three Rivers Inn, anyway?
I'm surprised to hear that Don didn't switch it up to run CCW in the afternoon.
That access road is scheduled to be done with chip sealing next week.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned
Flavourless is on a distinguished road
PJ glad to hear you had fun, but is no surprise after hearing what Roman had to say while it was being built

Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
How is that Three Rivers Inn, anyway?
Totally fine... clean, cable, showers, etc...
I would stay there again.
It looked better than the option in Moro.

Although I hear from the canucks that the hunting lodge place is the best... and closest to the track.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
love it PJ!!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 AM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PJS
Although I hear from the canucks that the hunting lodge place is the best... and closest to the track.
I have heard unanimously that the lodge is a great place to stay out there. And yes, it's only 1 - 2 miles down the road.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
nice, i may have to give you a call to get some more details. btw, mission is not that great. Its a track that will just eat up your brakes. I am more than sure ORP is better.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Jeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to behold
ORP is definitely the best track out of Pacific or PIR. I second everything PJ said except that I was only just shy of 100. The entry to the main straight is blind and the turn is just a little off camber to make you a little cautious going in.

I stayed at the Tall Winds in Moro and it was just a 12'x12' room with a little bathroom. Not one frill but it was serviceable. I'll probably stay in Biggs next time. I'll definitely be going again.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
I'm hoping to go again in the next couple of months.

I posted this elsewhere, but I slept on the tarmac under the stars, the last time I was there. Next time I'll stay in a less austere environment. The lodge sounds inviting.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 08-23-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:49 AM
I am here right now at the Three Rivers Inn, driving with Palatov Motorsport tomorrow. This is a classic roadside motel, and I'm happy to see McDonalds next door. Can't beat it for $49.95.
Trailered my car down tonight instead of driving it down, so I can carry backup stuff if needed. I will post any interesting happenings from tomorrow.

Last edited by gigharbor1; 08-24-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
PJS
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
I am here right now at the Three Rivers Inn, driving with Palatov Motorsport tomorrow. This is a classic roadside motel, and I'm happy to see McDonalds next door. Can't beat it for $49.95.
Trailered my car down tonight instead of driving it down, so I can carry backup stuff if needed. I will post any interesting happenings from tomorrow.
$49.95?????
IIRC I paid $65!!!

Here are a couple travel pics taken with Iphone

On the way to the track at 6 am - southbound 97

On the way home -- I84 West around 8 pm

Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Jeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
I'm hoping to go again in the next couple of months.

I posted this elsewhere, but I slept on the tarmac under the stars, the last time I was there. Next time I'll stay in a less austere environment. The lodge sounds inviting.
You slept on the tarmac with the near constant 20mph wind?? Brave Omdurman.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 AM
From ORP today at the Palatov Motorsports track day (bikes and cars), I bring you the coolest track toy I have ever seen: an original (but restored) 1939 Ural sidecar motorcycle built for the Red Army. When the driver went around the track, he stood up for balance whenever he went around an off camber turn. Not only did he drive it around the track a few times, he did it with technique.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 PM
That thing sooo needs a dog to ride in the sidecar.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oregon Raceway Park Review (no pics)