Fresh ideas for new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
TheBroker has a spectacular aura aboutTheBroker has a spectacular aura about
Avoid Esprits like the plague...incredibly weak transmission. Clarkson only made it 10 miles after buying it....this may have been rectified.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 PM
ME-109 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MR.WICKED
Avoid Esprits like the plague...incredibly weak transmission. Clarkson only made it 10 miles after buying it....this may have been rectified.
Late model cars (00-04) should be better, but, yes, I have read that the transmission is still very clunky. The big problem is finding mechanics who know the Esprit engine. Most shops that deal with lotus only know how to work on the newer Toyota engines. But maintenance isn't going to be any worse than a Maserati or DB7.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Agreed. Those older exotics can be (are) a bit dodgy, hence why the deprecation is so high.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Man a lot of the cars on your list are sub 40k for a reason... That's not to say you shouldn't jump in but be prepared to shell out for scheduled maintinance on the Massi' and the DB7 both. If you are stretching your budget to get a good one in the first place I'm assumming your ownership experience would be considerably lessened if you needed, say, a motor out valve job in the first year or two of that Ferrari-engined Coupe'. For 40k its really REALLY hard to beat the total package that comes with a 996tt, or even a 997 cabriolet if height really is your biggest concern with the hardtop. Maintinance isn't AS bad as the others you mentioned. I'd also avoid the eSpirit like the plague if you actually enjoy driving your cars - that car is pure art but the transmission is aweful and nearly every single bit that needs serviced requires dropping the motor completely. A well sorted 850 is a thing of beauty, and as others have mentioned it would leave plenty in the budget for wheels, suspension, upkeep, etc...

M3's, M5's, a few Mercs, Brand New Camaro (be prepped for the hit in depreciation) or even an (EEEKKKK) Boxster S can be found sub 40k and are great cars. If 40K is the Budget then I'd look for the newest most reliable car the closer you get to a 40K price-tag. For example, a couple years old Boxster S will be right at the 40K mark but shouldn't cost you near as much to maintain as the $15k 850i will.

Good luck and let us know what you end up in, happy hunting!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
What do you guys think about this? Tommy, whats your input?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
I want something that has an exotic feel but also something that has a bit of a GT feel as opposed to a straight sports car. My STi is all the stripped down performance car I need right now I think.

When I say exotic, what I mean is that I want to drive something that feels special, something that car guys like us (and gals) would notice. I'm prepared for some PITA issues with finnicky cars, but obviously I can't afford to buy a Maserati and need a new engine 6 mos later. If I'm not buying something new I'd like to stay around the low-mid 30s. Many of the options you all have posted are still available in this price range, so I really do appreciate all the input.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
Don't toss around the word "exotic" too lightly. I recall a huge debate about exotics at some mall every weekend . I think I just dated myself.

If you could fit into a 996 I'd recommend that. It would compliment the Cayenne nicely, you are right by MaxRpm, and they are good in straights and curves.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 PM
I can't reach the pedals in those. It seems the only Porsche I fit in is our Cayenne.

I don't mean to throw that term around, I know that a $32k Maserati Coupe isn't "exotic", but damnit, it sure seems like it is to me. An Esprit, DB7, 996, etc all have an exotic feel to me. That's all I was trying to get at.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
The maserati is nice. I was looking at those beofre I got my elise. I read a lot about problems with the f1 transmission. Can't remember the exact part so I would watch out for that or go 6spd

Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The Maserati Coupe/ Spyder's would be a good choice if you can get a warranty on one and stay in your price range.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Eliseguy
The maserati is nice. I was looking at those beofre I got my elise. I read a lot about problems with the f1 transmission. Can't remember the exact part so I would watch out for that or go 6spd
F1 pump.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:44 AM
ME-109 is on a distinguished road
Ok, this is sort of off the wall... how about a DeLorean? Looks sort of like an Esprit and has a great service network through DMC Texas, there is a service center right here in Bellevue. A nice clean one should be around 25-30k, that leaves you with $10k for engine mods or maybe a complete engine swap? (The stock engine is an absolute dog, it needs way more power to throw around that stainless steel body) It definitely gets attention and makes everyone smile (might be a bad thing, lots of B2tF comments that get really old) I have heard that even though they are underpowered they are still a lot of fun to drive, a great classic car.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Oh that engine is not a dog with some minor mods I read somewhere it can make over 1.1 Gigawatts of power.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MR.WICKED
Oh that engine is not a dog with some minor mods I read somewhere it can make over 1.1 Gigawatts of power.
All you'll need is a Flux-Capacitor

Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Or a Mr Juicer right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fresh ideas for new car