Driving the Gumpert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
Saw the car in the spring in Scottsdale Porsche car show and Todd was there. The one I saw was Audi powered and had a lift kit for the street which did not look comfortable enough for the street to me and was not big on the sound. Bet it was a hoot to drive though.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mother
Saw the car in the spring in Scottsdale Porsche car show and Todd was there. The one I saw was Audi powered and had a lift kit for the street which did not look comfortable enough for the street to me and was not big on the sound. Bet it was a hoot to drive though.
This is that same car, although EVOMS has a second Apollo right now. All of the Apollo's have the Audi 4.2, and this one has a 4 wheel KW hydraulic lift for clearing speed bumps. You're right about the sound. It sounds like something is there, but this is one of those unique cars that goes faster than it sounds!

Last edited by gigharbor1; 08-24-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM
FerRrari will become famous soon enough
Roman, will your R8 end up with the "same" engine as the Apollo??

Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FerRrari
Roman, will your R8 end up with the "same" engine as the Apollo??
It is a Gumpert-inspired build, with the motor assembly being right around the corner. It's very possible it will end up putting out meaningfully more HP, but the car weighs 1000 lbs more.

Last edited by gigharbor1; 08-24-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
This is that same car, although EVOMS has a second Apollo right now. All of the Apollo's have the Audi 4.2, and this one has a 4 wheel KW hydraulic lift for clearing speed bumps. You're right about the sound. It sounds like something is there, but this is one of those unique cars that goes faster than it sounds!
Actually, he (I forgot his name) mentioned that the race version has the new v10 motor in it as well.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Oh and I also wanted to add that I'm jealous of you guys getting to drive it. He would not even let me sit in it at ERTC last weekend .

Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hot Shot
Actually, he (I forgot his name) mentioned that the race version has the new v10 motor in it as well.
Good catch, James. I was thinking of the street version

Originally Posted by Hot Shot
Oh and I also wanted to add that I'm jealous of you guys getting to drive it. He would not even let me sit in it at ERTC last weekend .
I am not familiar with all the specifics of their US tour and what they allowed and didn't allow. This was a very spontaneous pit stop for them on the way down to Sharkwerks from Seattle. I just happened to be an EVOMS project customer with keys to a racetrack on the way down, and it gave them an opportunity to relax and give it a little exercise.

Here is Jeff Gamroth of Rothsport about to mash on it. He came a couple of seconds off the track record for a car, and he said he was only going 6/10ths and with DOT tires.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
better than ****

Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nice shots Gigharbor, any video of someone lapping the car? Or even some video of the RSA getting schooled.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
They say it produces so much downforce that you can drive it upside down on the ceiling through a tunnel. Have to try that one....who's first.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mother
They say it produces so much downforce that you can drive it upside down on the ceiling through a tunnel. Have to try that one....who's first.
One thing we did see...this is pretty new pavement, and was just swept that morning. But every time it went down the front straight at full throttle, there was so much draft being created behind the car that it pulled dirt from the runoff area and created a long dirt plume behind the car as it sped by. There is serious aerodynamics going on with this car.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Nice shots Gigharbor, any video of someone lapping the car? Or even some video of the RSA getting schooled.

There was no camera on or in the Gumpert, but we did put one on the RSA. But the camera is up in Canada somewhere, so hopefully the video gets downloaded and sent to me so I can share. This car really is the Batmobile.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
i don't think anyone took video - strictly because we're dumb.

the Forza team tried to make it down with a film crew but couldn't pull it together.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by brendo
i don't think anyone took video - strictly because we're dumb.

the Forza team tried to make it down with a film crew but couldn't pull it together.
A downer that we don't have in-car video, but funny how things work out. A little bit of disorganization and spontaneity resulted in us being stuck with an orange spaceship to drive on the racetrack for 7 hours!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a good test to let a bunch of Yah Hooo's drive the car for that amount of time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving the Gumpert