Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

2008 WRX or STI ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
2008 WRX or STI ???

Ok. So i have decided that I need a 2nd car. There is just some places i dont like driving my 997 whether its for work or play.

I have decided that if im going to buy another car it has to be a hatchback and i will make it into a very good weekend track car.

I have decided to purchase a used 2008 Subi wrx or sti.

There is a $10,000 price difference between the and im wondering if since i will be replacing a lot of the parts its better to just go with a WRX.

BUT with the STi you get a more aggressive AWD system and SI-Drive which lets you put more power to the rear wheels !!!

If I buy one these are the mods I will do:

1. ECU Flash
2. Cold Air Intake
3. Sway bars
4. Coil-overs (maybe)
5. Brake upgrade (maybe)

I figure these upgrades would cost me about $5,000 which is less than the price disparity between the STI and WRX.

What do you think?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
If you buy the WRX and mod it with the mods you're talking about, it'll be close to an STi. It'll also void any warranty on the powertrain and whatever else you mod.

If you buy the STi, it'll be a little better than the modded WRX, and still have full warranty. Lot to be said for that.

Check out the www.cobbtuning.com wrx stage 2 package. Full TBE, Accessport ECU tune. It's a good place to start with wrx power mods. At least until you start swapping in bigger turbos. Also check out www.nasioc.com.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
pbfoot is infamous around these partspbfoot is infamous around these parts
The '09 WRX sedan is faster than the STI in every straight line test and about equal in lap times. Plus it's 10K cheaper. Invest 1K of that money saved into coils and you're set with a car that's as good as an STI for 9K less.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM
luckyman#9 is infamous around these parts
08 WRX vs. 08 STi, the STi comes out much better especially for a track car because of power, handling and brakes. You could have fun at the track all day with an STi with just a good alignment. If you are a really good driver than sways and brake pads will help.

09 WRX vs. 08 STi is a bit different since they essentially are using the STi turbo in a smaller housing and the stiffened the springs, so the power is great and the handling is good, but they are different cars regardless of numbers. They feel totally different too. I drove both and bought an 08 STi. I like the way it feels better. It really comes down to what you want most. A base model 09 WRX with 5k in mods will be a ton of fun at the track, no doubt. If you get an STi, you may want to budget for a engine management, but that is all you will need.

So, how good a driver are you? Do you want 6 gears or 5? The interiors and exteriors are different too, which do you like? With the average driver you are splitting hairs between the two on a track.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Thanks for the input.

Im still 6+ months away from buying, but i never buy anything without researching first.

I'm no Hamilton, but I consider myself a above average driver and I'm always complimented on my smoothness from drivers/instructors at the track in my 997.

I will probably go with the 2008 STi, I love wagons and hatchbacks!

I will probably just do sway bars, intake, and maybe a mild tune and take it to the track and race it in stock class.

I will still be tracking and racing my 997.

I think the reason I will go with the STi is the 6 speed and the SI-DRIVE which will make it more RWD biased for the track than a WRX symmetrical 50/50 AWD.

I really prefer RWD, but there is no hatchback in the US that i like that has RWD

Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
if you are considering the WRX, then look into the 09's. they are improved over the 08.

you can have a quick WRX with a turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, pro-tuned engine management, coilovers and sway bars. that will match or outperform a stock STi, and cost less than 10k.

but if you can find an 08 STi, they are offering some great deals ($5-8k off MSRP)

it just depends if you want to mod or keep it stock...

Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Stay away from an intake on the 08 STi unless you are going to pro-tune it or are getting a tune specifically for the intake. Don't even do a panel filter without specific engine management. That is the word from Cobb at least.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 PM
wassup61 is infamous around these partswassup61 is infamous around these parts
Go with 08 STI. Current incentives are 8-10k off sticker and 0% for 63 months.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM
john36 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mobonic
I really prefer RWD, but there is no hatchback in the US that i like that has RWD

There is however an e55 wagon which will blow the doors off of a lot of cars and rwd with today's economy you can pick one up in good condition for the price of a new sti.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Were are you seeing 10k off? Any verifiable sources?

thx.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Also, one thing is for sure, if you get the STi, you won't ever wonder, "should I have gotten the STi?"

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 PM
80SNA is infamous around these parts
The STi has an unbreakable 6 speed manual, bremo breaks, upgraded suspension. All in all, the STi would be a better choice IMO

Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
The STI is well worth the price difference. Its the only wrx I would buy. The motor is much better than the normal wrx.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mobonic
Thanks for the input.

Im still 6+ months away from buying, but i never buy anything without researching first.

I'm no Hamilton, but I consider myself a above average driver and I'm always complimented on my smoothness from drivers/instructors at the track in my 997.

I will probably go with the 2008 STi, I love wagons and hatchbacks!

I will probably just do sway bars, intake, and maybe a mild tune and take it to the track and race it in stock class.

I will still be tracking and racing my 997.

I think the reason I will go with the STi is the 6 speed and the SI-DRIVE which will make it more RWD biased for the track than a WRX symmetrical 50/50 AWD.

Definitely Sti.. I dont miss my 997 after the protune..

well I still do , i wont lie...haha

Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Get an STI...that wrx 0-60 test where the wrx was faster by .01 secs was only proven by one magazine...built up a lot of hype though...

I bought my STI 39,8xx msrp for 31,6xx and 0% for 63 months...

I can get you my salesman's info if you want. Send me a pm

The STI goes/stops/turns more than the wrx...there's no comparison.

And your modlist should only be turboback exhaust and a protune and you'll be happy as far as power for daily duties...

I'm on my 2nd STI and my 3rd Subaru...you'll be happy

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 WRX or STI ???