Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

Scion FRS vs Subaru BRZ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Scion FRS vs Subaru BRZ

What is the real difference between the two cars?

I am probably getting one for daily duty. From what I can tell, I want cloth interior with an auto box.

After looking through Scion and Sub's websites, I have a few questions:

The Scion is about $500 cheaper but it doesn't have nav standard. Is that available from Scion?

Sub has HID standard. Is that standard on Scion?

Subaru advertises a LSD. Does Scion have that too?

Seems like the Sub has nav, HID standard for $500 more. I'd want both.

Does Sub offer the 2 year free maint as Scions?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i just found a youtube video that says

Nav, HID are not std on Scions. LSD is std on both.

I will get a Sub then. May call the dealer to see if I can place an order. Hope they don't tag a big markup on these.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
swift996 is on a distinguished road
I'm looking into one as well. Finally something worthwhile on the affordable market again. Go with the Subaru. It not only has a little more quality in and out, you won't have to be associated with the high school cheerleader in her TC or the kid with graphics on his car.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
markup at dealer is about $2k. so a cloth interior with nav will be close to $30k before tax.

i bought a Porsche 944 S2 cabriolet instead. car has only 87k miles. apples to oranges but i am happy with the retro Porsche. i can probably sell it after 3-4 years and make money off of it.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
That seems like such a different purchase than the BRZ. Were you looking at 944's before?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by adamls2
That seems like such a different purchase than the BRZ. Were you looking at 944's before?
I am all over the place... Primary factor was low price and efficiency since this is my 3rd car. I may still buy another car but that'll be later. Yes, i've got the bug...

Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 AM
detuned is on a distinguished road
Give us a review upon purchase. Really looking at getting into one as well.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
How is the 944 S2? always wanted one of those.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Airrik
How is the 944 S2? always wanted one of those.
It's very nice. I actually like it more than the 944 turbos I have driven. Feels more neutral and planted for some reason.

Driving-wise, the car pulls nicely. 0-60 is 6.5 sec and suspension is pretty decent but a little soft compare to my 996 when pushed hard. Maybe better tires would help. shifting is wicked, very smooth and precise. I couldn't keep up with a fast group of cayman S and GT3s but keeping up with a slower group of boxster is no problem. i am sure I can drive the car better with more seat time.

I am glad I bought it. It's only been a week but I've put 350 miles already and got a sun burn haha...

There are things to watch out for on 944 - oil leak, timing belt, costly clutch job. this example is pretty well sorted.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
AlxSTi is on a distinguished road
I called my local Suby dealer and they told me it would be $1k down to order a BRZ, then it would arrive Nov/Dec. There was a $2k markup as well. So the total for the BRZ Premium/Limited was just over 30k. No thanks.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:52 PM
revracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nice
We had a BRZ on the dyno and it made 160whp that is an utter failure. Subbie dropped the ball on this one.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 PM
my dealer has one in showroom, 6 speed with nav and BT in gray. $1k over msrp.

car looks nice and seems well built. no test drive but the engine looks tiny. reminded me of the rotary engine. 160 whp is about right given the HP rating at the crank. is that enough? i doubt it.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
my dealer has one in showroom, 6 speed with nav and BT in gray. $1k over msrp.

car looks nice and seems well built. no test drive but the engine looks tiny. reminded me of the rotary engine. 160 whp is about right given the HP rating at the crank. is that enough? i doubt it.
clearly, not enough considering what you have.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 AM
beb
beb is on a distinguished road
Wow, you guys are lucky... All the FR-S & BRZ here in SoCal have been marked up to $35-37k. And yes, they sell at this price.... like hotcakes!

I love the cars, but I dont think theyre worth the money. If I want to get a low-cost, sporty car... Id wait for the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Its cheap, decently fast and cute!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by beb
Wow, you guys are lucky... All the FR-S & BRZ here in SoCal have been marked up to $35-37k. And yes, they sell at this price.... like hotcakes!

I love the cars, but I dont think theyre worth the money. If I want to get a low-cost, sporty car... Id wait for the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Its cheap, decently fast and cute!
Paying that much for an entry level sports coupe. I see myself buying something else without any second thoughts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scion FRS vs Subaru BRZ