Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermally insulated glass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 AM
K.Y.F. is on a distinguished road
Thermally insulated glass

Is this option worth adding? It sounds cool, but can anyone commentvon their experience with it?

Thanks. I'm a new member.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Welcome. I'm curious too. I don't have it on mine since I bought an in-stock car but I don't think I would have ordered it anyway. According to the Porsche website it hinders radar detector performance.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:30 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
The main question is: does it also 'mute' the exhaust sound??? From my perspective, the exhaust sound is already muted on the Panamera...no need to further block the sound.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:35 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
The main question is: does it also 'mute' the exhaust sound??? From my perspective, the exhaust sound is already muted on the Panamera...no need to further block the sound.
yes.

had it on my Cayenne Turbo. it makes the ride quieter for sure.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:43 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
I didn't order it on mine BUT according to some other owners it 1) makes the interior super quiet like a $100K 4 door should be. 2) there is a space that is not insulated so that you can use your radar detector & EZ Pass without interruption.

As far as sport exhaust goes since the factory version provides ZERO performance increase, I find it useless. I'm sure an aftermarket exhaust will be loud enough to provide the desired sound within the cabin along with a performance increase.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:06 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
IMO, the Panamera is already quiet enough, especially for a Porsche. I wouldn't want it any quieter. If I wanted quiet, I'd have bought a Lexus

Old 06-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Tyang5 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by medici78
IMO, the Panamera is already quiet enough, especially for a Porsche. I wouldn't want it any quieter. If I wanted quiet, I'd have bought a Lexus
Agreed. If you want quiet car jut get Lexus! No need to speed money on that. Its Porsche!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
I first got it on a Cayenne Turbo, then, later, another Cayenne Turbo. I have been furnished a Cayenne without it several times when one of my cars was in for service and I wouldn't be without it. I have it on my Panamera Turbo because I got used to it on two of my three Cayennes.

It does make the car quieter on the inside, but if you want to hear the exhaust, roll the window down. My default preference would be quiet — quieter wind noise, quieter tire and road noise, and better choice of volume settings for the Burmeister stereo. Traveling is less fatiguing and conversations, especially front to rear are more natural. If I want exhaust feedback, I turn on the sport exhaust and roll down the windows. I get enough rather quickly.

The other advantage, especially important here in Texas, is the insulating effect. The windows don't get as hot, the dashboard and seats stay cooler, and the air conditioner "catches up" almost as soon as you start up, even if the car has been left in the sun. For long-time owners, the issue of drying and fading in the interior from sun damage is 99+% diminished.

As far as toll tags and radar detectors goes, I put my toll tag in the moon roof, which isn't double pane insulated. I understand there is a "hole" in the metallic insulation between the panes somewhere in the windshield that allows radar detectors to work.

So I guess it's where your priorities lie as to whether it's worth the price or not, but regardless, it is definitely an advantage.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I imagine the insulating effect is probably a bigger benefit than the noise cancelling effect. For that it might be worth it, though I question if a good window tint would do the same job for less $$.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:34 PM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
I look at window tinting as a love/hate dilemma. It's good when you need it, such as when you want privacy or heat reflection or glare reduction and bad when you have to roll down your windows at night to see out to the side or back.

My Panamera has the best of both worlds. The insulation in the glass is a very effective heat rejection type and yet it doesn't interfere with nighttime vision or sight-seeing. In addition, for privacy or additional shading, Porsche offers and I have the power folding rear and side screens. Privacy up, better vision down.

When I used to do a lot of East-West highway traveling, I put up with aftermarket tint. Some people like it for the looks. I don't care for the disadvantages mentioned above and I also don't like the police magnet aspect of it. I know there are perfectly clear tints (for instance V-Cool) that don't obstruct vision, but they are expensive, stiff and hard to apply to curved surfaces.

These are elegant, high end vehicles that solve driving problems with technology and engineering. But, you're right, there are other ways of solving these problems. And the Porsche solutions are somewhat costly. That's why they are options.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:16 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
This car is quiet. I would consider getting it due to the heat that comes off the front dash with the sloping windshield. Feels like an Oven and the heat smacks you in the face! This at 85 degrees, can't imagine if you lived in the hotter climates. So yes for the insulated properties, but can't imagine the car quieter!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Jim Homer is on a distinguished road
Is this option double-paned glass?

For the thermal and noise insulated glass option, are the windows double-paned?
When the windows are rolled down, can you see the double-paned glasses?

I remember seeing this on the Mercedes S class and thought they look very thick and unsightly.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 AM
iceman912 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jmmk
I first got it on a Cayenne Turbo, then, later, another Cayenne Turbo. I have been furnished a Cayenne without it several times when one of my cars was in for service and I wouldn't be without it. I have it on my Panamera Turbo because I got used to it on two of my three Cayennes.

It does make the car quieter on the inside, but if you want to hear the exhaust, roll the window down. My default preference would be quiet — quieter wind noise, quieter tire and road noise, and better choice of volume settings for the Burmeister stereo. Traveling is less fatiguing and conversations, especially front to rear are more natural. If I want exhaust feedback, I turn on the sport exhaust and roll down the windows. I get enough rather quickly.

The other advantage, especially important here in Texas, is the insulating effect. The windows don't get as hot, the dashboard and seats stay cooler, and the air conditioner "catches up" almost as soon as you start up, even if the car has been left in the sun. For long-time owners, the issue of drying and fading in the interior from sun damage is 99+% diminished

As far as toll tags and radar detectors goes, I put my toll tag in the moon roof, which isn't double pane insulated. I understand there is a "hole" in the metallic insulation between the panes somewhere in the windshield that allows radar detectors to work.

So I guess it's where your priorities lie as to whether it's worth the price or not, but regardless, it is definitely an advantage.

Agree w u completely...i hv it in my P4. where i live the temp is around 80-90F all yr round. It certainly makes adifference. Plus the burmiester sounds much better w it. Worth every penny IMO

Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Jim Homer is on a distinguished road
For the thermal and noise insulated glass option, are the windows double-paned?
When the windows are rolled down, can you see the double-paned glasses?

I remember seeing this on the Mercedes S class and thought they look very thick and unsightly.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM
JAX GT3 is on a distinguished road
Radar Usage Info

Would anybody this this type of windshield please comment on how a radar detector works through the metallic film cutouts?

Thanks, JohnnyB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thermally insulated glass