Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering and drive belt Kaputt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
neuneleven has a spectacular aura aboutneuneleven has a spectacular aura about
Power steering and drive belt Kaputt

About 2 weeks ago, I posted a new thread with my “new” CPO 2010 P4S. Less than 2 weeks into ownership heard a rattling sound from up front –similar to a sound of a rubber strip flapping on the bottom of the car. Was about 1 mile from home when I noted this and got home uneventfully. Checked the wheels and undercarriage, no loose objects noted. Started off about an hour later after checking once more, no oil/fluid marks on the pavement. Uneventfully drove half a mile and suddenly lost all steering power. Next came up an “electricity fault” warning light as I attempted to drive back home. As I literally pulled into the driveway to a stop, the “engine overheat” display came on and I promptly killed the engine with the car across the driveway.
The car’s been gone for a week now, initial reports suggest the drive belt and some “pulley” as well as the power steering are kaputt. Service says it is at this point unclear if the belt broke then wrapped around the pulleys, hence the rattling sound and the ensuing damage to the power steering or if the power steering unit was somehow primarily broken and somehow led to heightened belt tension causing this to fail – hence my” electricity fault” then beginning “engine overheat” report.
Parts are on backorder from Germany making me wonder if they have had a few more of these lately or simply if they keep local part stocks low and as such had to order my steering unit. More updates once I get more information.
Quite a bummer as I was really enjoying the car, certainly different from my outgoing C2 but still a hoot to drive and much more comfortable. Can’t wait to get back into it.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear this, my Panny has visited the shop now more often than any othercar Ive owned before. Someone should tell the Leipzig factory that 2min20s is not enough for a workstation...