Turbo hesitation/surging/bucking - HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM
MPac00 is on a distinguished road
Kip are you ever offline?! =)

Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MPac00
Kip are you ever offline?! =)
This is what modern mobile phones do to you, online constantly...

Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM
teutonic GT2 is on a distinguished road
Still having same issue. Anybody who has a Turbo in the Southern Conn. or Westchester area that would be willing to drive mine?

I just can't imagine that all PTT drive like this as the dealer says.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 PM
iglambo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by teutonic GT2
Still having same issue. Anybody who has a Turbo in the Southern Conn. or Westchester area that would be willing to drive mine? I just can't imagine that all PTT drive like this as the dealer says.
Did you managed to fix the problem with the hesitation? If yes, what was it?

Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 PM
staceyr is on a distinguished road
2012 ptt problem

You may have read my posts last spring about my ptt. There was lag btwn the first clutch disengaging and the 2nd engaging. When the 2nd would engage it would "bang" hard and jolt the car slightly. Usually it was just a 1-2 sec lag which was very random that would usually do it while accelerating after being stopped around 2-4th gear. It was more annoying than anything, but we took in several times and no codes ever came up and the techs could never get it to replicate the problem when they took it out for a drive. It also had a delay going into rev. If you didn't wait for it to go into rev, taking a few seconds, and took your foot off the brake and even though you pushed on the accelerator it would roll as if it were in neutral w/the engine off.
Then 3/15 I was on a curvy mountain rd, came around a sweeping curve and went to change from left to right lane. As I started to accelerate after having slowed down approx 5 mph nothing happened, the engine wasn't revving or anyting. I was drifting into the other lane 1/2 way across the center line w/a MB S500 coming from the curve behind me. I was sure I was dead, but when the MB was about 1 1/2 car lengths away the 2nd clutch engaged and jolted so hard I sustained a whiplash and the cars coming from behind backed off given it was so obvious I wasn't just some idiot drifting into the other lane
not accelerating.
We took the car back to the dealership the next morning and told them we weren't driving it til they found and fixed the problem. Once again the local guys couldn't find anything, so I fought w/PCNA until they got the field tech in to run some specialized tests, but still nothing. The dealership bought the car from us and bc of the incident I now have PTSD, so we made them promise they had to sell the car out of town. The last thing i wanted to see was that car that put me and many others in a life threatening situation. Had my car not gone into gear and the MB would've hit me, there would've been a 10-12 car pile up. All the cars coming around the curve from behind wouldn't have had enough reaction time to avoid a collision. This is on a hwy btwn San Jose and Santa Cruz CA and is one of the most dangerous hwy in the country.
The salesman who sold us the car informed us last aug that a guy from San Diego had bought the car. I got on this forum and posted an add that if anyone from SD had purchased my car to get ahold of me bc I need to inform them of the problem. Porsche was able to sell the car as being safe bc it passed all diagnostic tests. The new owner contacted me w/in a day and said he'd experienced the problem as he was driving it bk to SD after picking it up, but thought it as something he did. He also experienced the problem it had w/rev and even video taped. To backup a bit, when he purchased the car he asked why there had been so many service checks for the transmission and they told him they were recall campaigns! Totally lied making it a fraudulent sale. We told the new owner if he decided to go bk on the dealership we would stand behind him, but for reasons I don't know, he acted as though it wasn't that big a deal. He also said he'd read my posts about what had happened and said if he'd known that was the same car he'd never bought it, but was using it as a family car regardless. I contacted him a wk or so ago and asked if he'd ever found out what the problem was and he said he'd sold it to a broker bk in dec bc the turbo was too much power around town.
Anyway, long story short, if you are thinking of buying a 2012 PTT white w/blk wheels, cognac interior and red seat belts, approx 12K miles, VIN #WPOAC2A74CL090808...DON"T!!!
I wrote Detlev von Platen a handwritten letter asking him have the car tested by whatever means possible to find and fix the problem at my expense, but he declined saying they had to go on what the diagnostic test results were.
I believed it came off the line w/this defect bc there were no other comments of anyone else having this problem, but this sounds somewhat familiar.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 AM
I'm sorry you had this problem. But PLEASE do not hijack my thread with something that is totally different than my original post.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 AM
pgeoph is on a distinguished road
Check the diverter valves (one for each bank) - Porsche (and everyone else) use cheap plastic Bosch units that are prone to failure. If they are contaminated or have a vacuum leak they will bleed boost off one bank of cylinders, especially at partial vacuum (low revs). All my turbo cars use Forge or Agency Power units that are rebuildable. Never had a problem with them after swapping the Bosch units out.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM
staceyr is on a distinguished road
I didn't realize I hijacked your thread. It would've been considerate of you to let me know I did this via personal message or is it supposed to teach me a lesson on what is acceptable forum etiquette? You're just the first person that has experienced a problem w/a '12 PTT that sounds somewhat like what I experienced. Perhaps if your problem had put you and many other motorist in a life threatening situation and know PCNA didn't take responsibility for their product concerning what should be their #1 priority, safety you'd run your problem by you too. It would give me closure to know what the problem w/my car was, so guess I was grasping at straws when I jumped on your thread. Please accept my apologies.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Still having same issue. Anybody who has a Turbo in the Southern Conn. or Westchester area that would be willing to drive mine? I just can't imagine that all PTT drive like this as the dealer says.
Any updates with the hesitation issue?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Any updates with the hesitation issue?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 AM
No. Porsche says it's normal.
I think it's awful.

I would still welcome an opportunity for someone with a PTT in the NYC or CT area to drive my car.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 AM
No. Porsche says it's normal. I think it's awful. I would still welcome an opportunity for someone with a PTT in the NYC or CT area to drive my car.
Try changing the diverter valves. One of mine was bad.

Last edited by iglambo; 02-27-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 AM
mike 5150 is on a distinguished road
I've encountered the same problem as you have; the engine holding back while accellerating in the lower rev range.
Like you I suspected the issue to be related to a fuel injector malfunction so I brought the car in to have it looked in.
I was told that it wasn't an engine issue and they claimed it was caused by the PDK so they carried out a software reset of the PDK.
The reset did solve the hesitation issue for 90 percent but sometimes I still notice it in the lower rev range under accelleration.
Since the previous owner had the ECU remapped it has crossed my mind that the issue is caused by a glitch in the remap,does this sound familiar to any of you guys?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 AM
MackSea is on a distinguished road
Just a thought here - and no expert on Porsche software. My 4S would occasionally feel sluggish. Do you think it's possible that the traction control system is detecting wheel spin (either real or sensor malfunction) and dialing back the power in response to that? Couple of times right before I sold mine I felt like it was sluggish, maybe even clutch slipping. Definitely not impressive off the line. Then I realized (and felt pretty dumb), it was actual wheel spin (I had summer tires and it was a very cold day), so I think the computer was dialing back the power.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
mike 5150 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pgeoph
Check the diverter valves (one for each bank) - Porsche (and everyone else) use cheap plastic Bosch units that are prone to failure. If they are contaminated or have a vacuum leak they will bleed boost off one bank of cylinders, especially at partial vacuum (low revs). All my turbo cars use Forge or Agency Power units that are rebuildable. Never had a problem with them after swapping the Bosch units out.

I'm gonna go with your advice and switch the diverter valves, firstly they're not an expensive part to replace and secondly,regardless if they are the cause of the problem or not, the new valves will make for a great cost effecitive improvement anyway.Thanks for the tip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo hesitation/surging/bucking - HELP