Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I trade my M3 for a Panamera S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:47 AM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Should I trade my M3 for a Panamera S?

I have a 2011 M3 Sedan with low miles (about 15k), warranty punched 11/11. Our Porsche dealer has a 2010 Pana S with about 45k, certified, with lots of great options (full leather, Adaptive Air Suspension, MSRP probably $105-110) just lowered to about $64k.
Thinking of trading if they will give me a good deal on my M3, good move?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Unless you need a bigger car with more room (well... Panamera is a 4 seater vs. 5 for your M3), or if it is a GTS or PTT. I would want to keep your sweet low mileage M3. M3 is a special car with all the right combination, I still miss mine after I part with it.

Last edited by kw911TT; 09-02-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I have an '11 Panamera 4S that I came to from an '11 750i xDrive MSport. Up until recently, I was thinking about a used M3 as a second car...that was when I tested a '13 Boxster S. I ended up with the Boxster S. I think you would find the same fun factor of the M3 in either the Boxster or Cayman. The Panamera is a different car altogether. My 4S has PASM, PDK, and Chrono and, to me, this allows for the car to have multiple personalities...everything from an extremely comfortable executive sedan to a full-on sports car that just happens to have 4 doors.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Leslierc
I think you would find the same fun factor of the M3 in either the Boxster or Cayman. The Panamera is a different car altogether. My 4S has PASM, PDK, and Chrono and, to me, this allows for the car to have multiple personalities...everything from an extremely comfortable executive sedan to a full-on sports car that just happens to have 4 doors.
Umm, I already have a '12 Cayman S

Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
If 4 vs 5 seats isn't problem for you, go for pana.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Umm, I already have a '12 Cayman S
Obviously I missed that...thanks. Then I think you definitely should consider the Panamera.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM
teutonic GT2 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2011 M3 Sedan with low miles (about 15k), warranty punched 11/11. Our Porsche dealer has a 2010 Pana S with about 45k, certified, with lots of great options (full leather, Adaptive Air Suspension, MSRP probably $105-110) just lowered to about $64k.
M3 and Panamera are totally different cars. You need to drive to determine.

But if you do get rid of M3, please send me a PM as I might be interested in your M3.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Why? One is a precision driving machine the other (since not GTS or PTT) more of a sporty large family car. It's really Apples and oranges

Like should I trade my Carrera S for a PANAMERA ? Why?? Only if you want a large well handling car with more space

Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with Tom.....I had an '11 M3 prior to my GTS the M-car was an awesome machine, but I feel the GTS that much better I think if you are considering trading for the Panny S, you will be underwhelmed. Have you driven it or any other panny variant yet? If not, that should be first on your decision list good luck

Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM
I've only driven the V6 Panny, not quick enough for me. This is primarily for my wife, she really wanted a Panny, but they were too expensive when we bought her M3 almost two years ago. The problem is she borrows my Cayman and won't give it back.
I figure if I can trade for an extra $10-15k, I should get most of that back when I sell. Trading a 70k car for a $108k car with the same warranty, although a model year older and more miles.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I've only driven the V6 Panny, not quick enough for me. This is primarily for my wife, she really wanted a Panny, but they were too expensive when we bought her M3 almost two years ago. The problem is she borrows my Cayman and won't give it back.
I figure if I can trade for an extra $10-15k, I should get most of that back when I sell. Trading a 70k car for a $108k car with the same warranty, although a model year older and more miles.
I took the same path as Leslierc in trading my 11 M3 for a new Boxster S .
I happen to like the new 14 Panamera but these are very different vehicles .

If 64K is the budget and a more comfort practical vehicle is in the mix I would test drive a Cayenne . The Cayenne undercuts the Pany in price and has a lot to offer. 75K offers a heavy optioned V6 or a modest optioned "S" brand new !! That gives 4 years of warranty and 45K less miles than the used car you are looking at.

One doesn't really need speed with an SUV even though Porsche does offer high performance versions . My girlfriend absolutely loves the higly speced V6 Cayenne that we have .
I have driven both . The Pany is a great vehicle with comfort geared for multiple passenger cruising with some sport . The Cayenne has sport too but also has the practical height for high level visibility and ground clearance . It takes passengers but also can be used for enormous shopping space or if one has pets offers easier transport than a sedan .

Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I took the same path as Leslierc in trading my 11 M3 for a new Boxster S .
I happen to like the new 14 Panamera but these are very different vehicles .

If 64K is the budget and a more comfort practical vehicle is in the mix I would test drive a Cayenne . The Cayenne undercuts the Pany in price and has a lot to offer. 75K offers a heavy optioned V6 or a modest optioned "S" brand new !! That gives 4 years of warranty and 45K less miles than the used car you are looking at.

One doesn't really need speed with an SUV even though Porsche does offer high performance versions . My girlfriend absolutely loves the higly speced V6 Cayenne that we have .
I have driven both . The Pany is a great vehicle with comfort geared for multiple passenger cruising with some sport . The Cayenne has sport too but also has the practical height for high level visibility and ground clearance . It takes passengers but also can be used for enormous shopping space or if one has pets offers easier transport than a sedan .
Regarding the Cayenne I have to add my 2-cents. A few weeks ago, I attended a Porsche drive event at Summit Point West Virginia that was sponsored by my dealer. On hand was a 911S, a Cayman S, a Boxster S, and a Cayenne Diesel. I wasn't so much interested in the Cayenne until they offered to take folks on hot laps with professional drivers. All I can say about that experience is OMG that is one sinister SUV. The following week, my 4S had to go into service for a "suspension failure", which turned out just to be a loose sensor...anyway, I asked for a Cayenne diesel while they had the car. I drove the darn thing in "Sport" all the time I had it and put maybe 60 miles on the odometer without barely moving the fuel guage needle. This vehicle has amazing power and balance. After those experiences I could understand why the Cayenne is considered the vehicle that saved Porsche.

OP, I just have to say that $64K for a `10 Panamera S with the features you mentioned is quite a good deal.

Last edited by Leslierc; 09-04-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Well, looks like we're trading for a base Panamera, 2011 with 15k miles, certified. Although underpowered on paper, with the PDK, it really moves well accelerating around traffic. Drives like a much slower car. Passed on a local one, only had the base stereo which is awful and no ventilated seats. Found one in Houston for $3k less with better options.
FYI our 2011 M3 Sedan with 14k miles appraised at around $47k trade value through carmax and two Porsche dealers. With the tax credits I'd lose, I'd have to sell it for at least $50k privately, if anyone's interested. I would have to verify that eliminating the trade won't change the purchase price of the Panny.

Last edited by saeyedoc; 09-16-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:26 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
For a base Panamera and trade value for the M3... DON'T DO IT!!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Dude... You will be VERY disappointed post trade... Trust us. If you loved the m3, the panny base will make you weep.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my M3 for a Panamera S?