Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Turbo S 2014 versus Audi RS7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 AM
supercup is on a distinguished road
I drove the M5 for a long time (1988 - 2012) - in 2010 the PTT came out I drove it and was like wow this the first car I have ever driven that could replace my M5 (other than the 2003 RS6 which could have as well). I felt the next M5 (current) would be the car for me and I would save $50k and thought maybe the the RS7 would offer even another option. The Head to Head video was very interesting and I think highlights what you are paying for - the total package! RS7 and M5/M6 GC are great cars, but they are not a PTT.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
I've had the rs7 for about a week or so, initial impressions. The rs7 is beautiful in person, lines flow very well on car. Interior is very comparable to my 2011 panny turbo, excellent fit and finish. Few more technology toys in rs7 with heads up display, night vision. More storage space in back (around 5 cubic feet), but at expense of back seat space. Steering feel/handling seems better in panamera, but I have steering set to dynamic in audi which gives good heavy feel. My car has air suspension, the spring/DRC option should significantly reduce body roll demonstrated in motor trend video comparison. The engine in rs7 is superb with great muscle car sound. Minimal turbo lag with the turbos mounted within the v-8. Very quick off line (3.2 0-60), the ZF tranny 8 speed is a good match. Wave brakes feel very good, with comparable stopping distances. The 21 inch wheels have very few tire options, so I will get 20' to get some all season's on them like my panamera had. It is a superb value for what you get. Overall a great vehicle, definitely in same league, better in some ways, worse in others. Should make a great road trip car for family. Both are superb german twin turbo awd sedans, glad to be able to experience both!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	320114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	913.6 KB
ID:	320115  

Last edited by Botox; 01-11-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
This vehicle still intrigues me.

When it is time to flip my P4S, I think this would be on the top of the pecking order. Have they decided if the RS6 is coming to the states?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
No rs6 as far as I'm aware

Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by supercup
I went looking at 4 door sport sedans the past 3 days. I test drove - Audi S7 and S8 (could not find an RS7 to drive), BMW Grand Sport M6 and M5, Maserati, Mercedes S-63 (last version) and new S550 and a Tesla.

When all was said and done I came home today feeling like I still have the best, most flexible 4 door sports sedan available for me. I have a 2012 PTT. Doesn't mean it is for you. Take the time to look at each, drive them and see what you like and don't like.

The RS7 will be a fun, fast car, tons of room behind the 2nd seat for kids stuff. Like the S7 I was surprised how poor the back seat leg room and head room was.

S8 I like better than the S7, more room, more comfort, more trunk space, more go. But it feels like and is a big car, but a great car at that. This may be my 2nd choice.

BMW GS M6/M5. Fast and smooth. M6 rear seat is not ideal, both have small trunk, so not super functional. Nice cars but don't meet my needs. I have owned every M5 before this (1998, 1993, 2000, 2003 and 2006) as a daily driver.

Maserati - new version - felt slow after the others, makes good sounds, nice enough to drive. Not my style and not good enough to pay a premium over the Audi or BMW. Pay more and get less.

Mercedes - S63 is a big car, but steers light and goes like stink. This and the S8 are great cars and either would make a great daily drive, if you need a "full size" luxury sport sedan. New S550 - wow on the technology - new S63 should be super nice, but a different class of car.

Tesla - nice torque - no noise! For commuter car makes a lot of sense, but it is not a sport sedan.

In the end I realized I paid a premium for my Panamera Turbo over its counterparts in other brands, but it is worth every penny! I also like the fact that there are a lot of boxes you can check to personalize your car to your taste, yes you pay for it, but it is nice to have the option to get exactly what you want.

No question in my mind the Panamera, in whatever form you own offers the best 4 door sport sedan with the most utility money can buy (you just need a few extra sheckels!).

Can't go wrong with either - good luck finding what you like.
Nice write up. Enjoyed ready it.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Actually the s7/rs7 has much more storage space than s8, and the rs7 has more "go" than the s8

Last edited by Botox; 01-11-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:44 PM
supercup is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Botox
I've had the rs7 for about a week or so, initial impressions. The rs7 is beautiful in person, lines flow very well on car. Interior is very comparable to my 2011 panny turbo, excellent fit and finish. Few more technology toys in rs7 with heads up display, night vision. More storage space in back (around 5 cubic feet), but at expense of back seat space. Steering feel/handling seems better in panamera, but I have steering set to dynamic in audi which gives good heavy feel. My car has air suspension, the spring/DRC option should significantly reduce body roll demonstrated in motor trend video comparison. The engine in rs7 is superb with great muscle car sound. Minimal turbo lag with the turbos mounted within the v-8. Very quick off line (3.2 0-60), the ZF tranny 8 speed is a good match. Wave brakes feel very good, with comparable stopping distances. The 21 inch wheels have very few tire options, so I will get 20' to get some all season's on them like my panamera had. It is a superb value for what you get. Overall a great vehicle, definitely in same league, better in some ways, worse in others. Should make a great road trip car for family. Both are superb german twin turbo awd sedans, glad to be able to experience both!
Congrats on your new ride and thanks for the follow up comments. You will have miles of fun and utility with supercar performance. Great package. Great looking color as well.

Enjoy

Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=Botox;4021375]I've had the rs7 for about a week or so

Thank you for the write-up,,,,informative. While the performance #'s are superb, I just find the exterior styling of all Audi's (except for the amazing R8) to be bland. However, perhaps like the Panny, the car looks "better in person?" I know whenever I see the lines of my GTS, I get "movement" between my legs...haha. Not so, thus far, when I see the pics of the Rs7. Regardless, seems like you are pleased with the choice, so keep us posted.

As for the tranny, I simply LOVE the ability to shift from auto to manual, and to bang through the gears with the steering mounted paddles (I got the optional sport wheel on my car). Does the Audi have the same feature?, or is it automatic all of the time?

congrats on the new ride

Cole

Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 AM
[QUOTE=cole328;4021701]
Originally Posted by Botox
I've had the rs7 for about a week or so

Thank you for the write-up,,,,informative. While the performance #'s are superb, I just find the exterior styling of all Audi's (except for the amazing R8) to be bland. However, perhaps like the Panny, the car looks "better in person?" I know whenever I see the lines of my GTS, I get "movement" between my legs...haha. Not so, thus far, when I see the pics of the Rs7. Regardless, seems like you are pleased with the choice, so keep us posted.

As for the tranny, I simply LOVE the ability to shift from auto to manual, and to bang through the gears with the steering mounted paddles (I got the optional sport wheel on my car). Does the Audi have the same feature?, or is it automatic all of the time?

congrats on the new ride

Cole
I like the rs7 wheel because it has paddles and multifunction, like the new 918 and macan wheels. I can't wait until they get that steering wheel in the 911 series, as I have the multifunction wheel in my 911 Turbo S, and did the Techart paddles because I don't like the button shifting system on the multifunction wheel. I prefer Left side downshift, R upshift, with multifunction.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 AM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dhh

Although the narrator of this video is a bit annoying, it is interesting nontheless

Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tranRS7
My wife has the Panamera Turbo and I am the very pleased new owner of the 2014 RS&. I have driven both for the sometime now (RS7 for the last 5 weeks) and I can honestly say...Audi RS7 is the better choice. Overall ride and performance is just better...the power is extremely good in both car, but I prefer the quick response and never ending power (surge/feel) of the RS7 over the Panamera. The RS& also feels more agile. RS7 is more exclusive...you just wont see as many and it turns heads where ever I go compared to the Panamera Turbo. Ironically, my wife have started to prefer the RS7 as well.
After driving the RS6 back to back, I would say it depends on what you consider important. My Powerkit Turbo was not slower in a straightline and the gearbox is much sportier than the 8-speed auto in RS models. In a straightline they are similar, but Audi cannot keep up in corners even remotely, so I dont understand the agile thing. Maybe it is the PDCC in my car, but the Panamera is clearly more agile, no comparison. I also disagree that it is more exclusive, I honestly coudnt tell much different in the interior of my friends 3.0 biturbo diesle s-line Avant and same color RS6. So I disagree with that also, unless you feel a Audi interior in general is more exclusive. This country is filled with Audi Avants so no one takes a second look. The RS7 is a superfast sedan, Panamera Turbo is a fast sportscar. That said, the RS6 is more comfortable on highways, if that is what you appreciate. Also it is better value for money, but better? NO.