Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD panamera in the snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 PM
timelinex will become famous soon enough
AWD panamera in the snow?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the PTT in the snow, with the michelen ps2's.

I live in phoenix, so no winter tires for me, HOWEVER I go snowboarding 2 or 3 times a year. Up in flagstaff, to get to the ski area, you go up around a fairly steep mountain. One year I took a cheap economy rental up that hill and by the top I was barely going 2 mph and just trying to do my best not to stop and start going backwards. NEVER AGAIN! My lexus RWD is350 with tire chains has no problem. I would not want to put chains on the PTT and risk damaging something however.

I never used snow tires when I lived in the midwest and even in big storms, with my FWD cars I've always been just fine with summer tires. Keep your distance and drive carefully. However, going up a steep hill is a whole different story....

I know summer tires aren't good for the snow, but should I be ok for the occasional trip, considering its AWD? As a reference, I see 4wd SUV's go up with no problem.

Last edited by timelinex; 12-11-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
With the right tires they're awesome in the snow. I drive from Denver to Vail almost every weekend in the winter. The Panamera is a tank!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 PM
timelinex will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Evo650
With the right tires they're awesome in the snow. I drive from Denver to Vail almost every weekend in the winter. The Panamera is a tank!
The main concern is that its NOT the right tires haha (summer tires)

Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 AM
toughluck is on a distinguished road
Evo650 is correct. The tires are important in snow. Now, I don't have experience driving PS2 in the snow but summer tires are summer tires. If I had a choice between AWD+PS2 or 2WD+WINTER_TIRES in the snow, I would pick the latter. For practical reasons if you only go to the mountains a few times a year, maybe you should borrow someone's car or rent a vehicle. Doesn't seem like it is worthwhile for you to purchase winter tires. If you do drive in the snow with PS2... let us know how it goes!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:55 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
I have driven my pan 4s in the snow with summer tires, while it didnt get stuck its certainly not advised. i've also driven my cayenne s back in the days with summer 21's, not a good idea. Was stuck on an icy bridge where front wheel drive family cars like camrys were passing me by lol.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 PM
TheBeav will become famous soon enough
I have been driving my PTT in Chicago with my Michelin PSS on in the snow this past week. They do not compare to my Pirelli Sotto Zeros, which will go on next week, but they havent been that bad. The main issue is thay they're hard as bricks in the cold until you drive enough at sufficient speed to warm them up. Oncd warm, traction in snow isnt all that bad.

You probably wouldnt get stuck, but you will have to drive with quite a bit of care.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
The main issue are the tires, dont do snow with summer tires.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
+1. A front wheel drive with winter tires is better in snow than AWD with all-season tires. If you drive in snow with summer tires, you're asking for big trouble. Panny AWD with snow tires is excellent in snow, especially if you go for narrower rear tires.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
boswell1037 is on a distinguished road
Panny with a good set of all season tires is also great in the snow.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 AM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
2 snowstorms in New England so far, with 20 inch Pirelli Sotto Zeros it is not a problem.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 AM
mcho3 is on a distinguished road
first snow in seattle area

I just ordered my Pirelli SottoZeros II, from many of you guys suggestions.
Will test it out and get back to you guys. Just which I had them on my pan two days ago.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Even if it's just for one trip, don't do it.
I saw a test where they did an emergency stop from 30mph on snow, one car on summer tires and the other on winter. When the summer car passed the point where the winter car had stopped, it was still doing 25mph. (!)

+ the awd means absolutely nothing when braking.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:29 PM
mcho3 is on a distinguished road
+1 i agree

Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 AM
k2man is on a distinguished road
I have all seasons on mine. Ordered the option when I got my car. I would say it's ok in the snow but not great.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 PM
boswell1037 is on a distinguished road
I have all seasons on mine and they did more than ok.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWD panamera in the snow?