Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM
oscuro is on a distinguished road
What's "lane change assist"? Isn't that the feature that makes the audible chirp and lights when someone is next to you or in a blindspot? My 2014 Panamera has that, I thought it was a default option.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 PM
toughluck is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oscuro
What's "lane change assist"? Isn't that the feature that makes the audible chirp and lights when someone is next to you or in a blindspot? My 2014 Panamera has that, I thought it was a default option.
The phrase "default option" contradicts itself.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:03 PM
oscuro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by toughluck
The phrase "default option" contradicts itself.
Apologies Mr Syntax Police for those of us who do not have English as a first language.

"Default Option" such as PDK: On the configurator it is listed as an Option but it is not possible to deselect or select it. It is simply "there".

Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 PM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
Apologies Mr Syntax Police for those of us who do not have English as a first language.

"Default Option" such as PDK: On the configurator it is listed as an Option but it is not possible to deselect or select it. It is simply "there".
Funny that you mention it as a default. Well it was not a default in the year my car was pushed out of the factory ie 2010. You making me envious now.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:58 AM
nlk10010 is on a distinguished road
PMFJI but I'm going to sell my 2011 BMW 550ix and am test driving a bunch of options. Yesterday I drove a Panamera 4 AND a Cayenne GTS (yea, I know, even the salesman couldn't figure that one out, but I'm an odd bird).

Anyway, the Panamera is gorgeous inside (part of that is it's different from the BMW, familiarity breeds contempt), but I couldn't for the life of me see through the rear window, the side mirrors were OK but it still seemed visibility was limited. I understand you get used to things, but apropos of the "lane change option", how do you find rear/side visibility after an extended period of time with the Panamera?

I'd appreciate any information.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by erekcat
The surround view cameras on the '14 MY help out a lot...I couldn't have this car w/o it
Hmm, well I guess it's possible those cameras, coupled with the LCA, might suffice. After all, people driving trucks can't see out of the back at all.

Thank You.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
I find the visibility fine if you're willing to really turn your head. It just requires a bit more work than cars with more open visibility.

The nice thing about the LCA is that it warns you before you have to go through the effort. But even with it, I still turn my head and look for cars in the direction that I'm changing lanes into.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by NiceCar
I find the visibility fine if you're willing to really turn your head. It just requires a bit more work than cars with more open visibility.

The nice thing about the LCA is that it warns you before you have to go through the effort. But even with it, I still turn my head and look for cars in the direction that I'm changing lanes into.
Yea, in my BMW I have a LCA and also have my sideview and rearview mirrors set up wide to give me as much info as possible, if my LCA is blinking I don't even think about changing lanes. If it isn't then I look in the mirrors and swivel my head as best I can (oh my back!). I guess I got that habit from my father.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by nick.kapoor
Aha! Now I have an excuse to watch QVC.

Hey, us old folks (speaking for myself only, of course) need all the help we can get. I'll take a look.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM
lol. nik. Glad you have a good sense of humor. Think it looks bad for a 100K car but hey, form follows function. Seriously you could check out other options in the same genre. You are as old as the car you drive. And the more cylinders the younger you are.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:46 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cole328
+100 I have a '13 GTS as my DD....just turned 15K miles not one issue (and I drive this bad boy the way it was meant to be)

That 4.8 liter V8 from the Cayenne development is one great engine. I had the previous gen 4.5 in my Cayenne S a long time ago and it was bulletproof.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:49 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by denversteve
They are, as you've read, reliable and dependable. However I've heard that if one hears you calling it a panny, it will implode on you.

It's like Candyman, Candyman, Candyma...oh wait.

I always say "Panamera!!" in Spanish voice.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
jvc58dke is on a distinguished road
Bulletproof apply to the PanTT as well?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Yogi784 is on a distinguished road
Near lease end of my 2011 BMW 535 this winter, I test drove some 2014 Panameras and I noticed the poor visibility out the rear window during test drives. Although my mind was almost made up the buy the Panamera, I drove my 535 for a couple of weeks with the rear view mirror positioned to simulate the small rear viewing area of the Porsche. I did not have the lane change assist on the BMW, and although the poor rear view was not optimal, I found could certainly live with it.

I ordered my 2014 P2S in March (including LCA) and now have about 2weeks/700 miles on the new car and no regrets with my decision. The is my first Porsche after multiple BMW's and to use a figure of speech, once I drove the Porsche, I never looked back!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera Reliability