Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Turbo Overheat/Coolant Leaking - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:59 PM
weiyan55555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Panamera Turbo Overheat/Coolant Leaking - Help!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and in desperate need of advice.

I recently purchased my first Porsche, a 2011 Panamera Turbo with 35k miles.
I live in N. Potomac Maryland, but purchased it from an independent dealer down in Mobile Alabama. I had a PPI done at the local Porsche dealership in Alabama. Both the dealer and the PPI showed described the car as in excellent condition with no issues. In addition, the previous owner had the car under aftermarket extended warranty.

The car was delivered to me last Friday 7/21. I took it on it's first >5 min trip yesterday 7/23. While on the highway, the car computer showed engine overheating and low coolant. As I look for an exit, I notice the car loses air conditioning and is dropping speed (while I'm pressing the gas pedal). I immediately pull over and over the hood. The engine was steaming and coolant had leaked onto the bonnet as well as the floor. The car was towed to the closest Porsche dealership and diagnosed with a broken thermostat neck that snapped off. It needs a new thermostat and coolant pump, a whopping $4077 and Porsche says there might be damage to the engine which cannot be diagnosed until the thermostat is fixed.

It's very unfortunate that this happened, I haven't even gotten the chance to register the car yet. I believe the dealer to be honest, and did not knowingly sell me a problem car. I was not offered any warranty or option to purchase warranty during the sale.

My questions are:
What are my options here, what do you recommend?
Does the Porsche dealer that performed the PPI hold any responsibility?
Does the independent dealer that sold me the car hold any responsibility, given that they described the car as in excellent condition with no mechanical issues?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:14 PM
knowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura about
Firstly, sorry this happened to you, I can't think of a worse bummer than buying a new car and having a serious problem.

I would call the dealer and explain the situation and see what they offer. Most used car dealers offer a limited term 50/50 warranty.

Not knowing exactly what happened on the car, I don't think you have any action against the dealer who did the PPI. It appears that what happened was immediately catastrophic. If that part had snapped earlier it obviously would have been apparent to everyone.

Also, not knowing where this part is located, I'm wondering if it was somehow damaged when the car was strapped down for the trip up to you.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Gabbypig is on a distinguished road
A fairly common problem...

It sounds like you are experiencing a known issue with the early model engines, both V8 and V6. Also affects some other Porsche models. One of the coolant pipes that connects to the water pump / thermostat housing has come loose. Porsche had used some sort of epoxy to make the pipe connection and the epoxy sometimes fails resulting in most of the coolant being expelled from the car. Not likely that the seller or the PPI dealer would have found this as it happens very quickly without notice. One moment it is fine, the next the pipe has popped out and is spewing coolant.

I had this happen to my wife's car after she returned home. I actually fixed it by covering the pipe with JB Weld and sticking it back in the housing. Held for several days until I could get it replaced under warranty from dealer. May have held for good for all I know.

Engine damage is possible but not likely if you stopped and did not try to drive with no coolant.

This is a known issue to PCNA but they will not admit to it. Service techs will know right away.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear about the issue with the car, I believe mine had the same issue with the previous owner as I found remnants of coolant in the engine bay when I first got the car. I agree with @Gabbypig in that you did the right thing so you likely mitigated any damage to the car. I would definitely call both the Indy that sold you the car and the PPI dealership, simply asking what they can do for you...I'm sure with the proper tone/documentation they will work with you. Even if they both split the cost, the reputation of the dealerships is not worth the $4K...besides good will begets more good will.

Good luck and please keep us posted!!!

Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
This is a known issue with early build models. I would contact PCNA in Atlanta and see what they are willing to offer to you.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Spoon83 is an unknown quantity at this point
OP, how mechanically inclined are you? and do you have access to tools?

It is an easy fix but a little time consuming.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.