Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS issues with the Panny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
TPMS issues with the Panny

Situation: I decided to purchase new wheels for the car and in the process decided that I would buy a new set of TPMS sensors for them rather than reuse the ones from the OEM wheels. I made the decision for several reasons, easily swapping the wheels if needed and secondly the batteries in the original sensors are likely at the end of their usable life.

Fast forward, the sensors are installed, tires are mounted and wheels are installed...and for whatever reason the sensors don't pair up with the car. I was thinking that I may have ended up with a set having the wrong frequency ranges.

I purchased them from: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/ and have used them before on other cars with no issues so I'm wondering if I simply did something wrong. As I type this now I'm wondering if I there is something I should have done to connect the battery, like remove a simple plastic tab to ensure the connection to the battery.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 AM
EKD74 is an unknown quantity at this point
I´m in kind of the same situation as you, just a tad better.

I did like you and bought new wheels with new TPMS, but not Porsche OEM since they where +400$ and the ones i bought was 150$. (The problem might be in that choice).

After install the TPMS sensors need to be activated and you need to know if they are 315Hz or 433Hz.
They are activated via a handheld tool (that the tire firm had) that is to scan on each wheel. Also sometimes they need to plug in to the ODBII to do the config but they didnt in my case.

After that the car is to recon that there has been a swap and throws a message in the dashboard: "Change of tires?"
Then you do a setup in the dashboard settings for correct wheelsize, load, and type of tire. In my case the largest size wheel to choose in the setting is 20" and I had put on 21". Dont know if it really matters.

What happens to me is that every other day or so the car looses the settings and the "Change of tires?" message shows up and I have to do the whole config and learning process with the dashboard settings again.

I called one of our Porsche Centers here and they OF COURSE answered that I should always use Porsche OEM TPMS...

So, if you get them activated and they still dont work, I guess there is something with the aftermarket parts and Porsche OEM that dont line up exactly.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:21 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by EKD74
I´m in kind of the same situation as you, just a tad better.

I did like you and bought new wheels with new TPMS, but not Porsche OEM since they where +400$ and the ones i bought was 150$. (The problem might be in that choice).

After install the TPMS sensors need to be activated and you need to know if they are 315Hz or 433Hz.
They are activated via a handheld tool (that the tire firm had) that is to scan on each wheel. Also sometimes they need to plug in to the ODBII to do the config but they didnt in my case.

After that the car is to recon that there has been a swap and throws a message in the dashboard: "Change of tires?"
Then you do a setup in the dashboard settings for correct wheelsize, load, and type of tire. In my case the largest size wheel to choose in the setting is 20" and I had put on 21". Dont know if it really matters.

What happens to me is that every other day or so the car looses the settings and the "Change of tires?" message shows up and I have to do the whole config and learning process with the dashboard settings again.

I called one of our Porsche Centers here and they OF COURSE answered that I should always use Porsche OEM TPMS...

So, if you get them activated and they still dont work, I guess there is something with the aftermarket parts and Porsche OEM that dont line up exactly.
Turns out that the site I ordered from had them listed inappropriately as these are 315MHz and not the required 433MHz, so I'll have to order new ones and have these swapped out. I'm waiting to see what if anything they will do for me in light of the challenge.

I'll keep you posted!

Old 07-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Chedman13 is on a distinguished road
I just bought aftermarket ones from my tire shop. No programming except through the steering wheel buttons to reset/relearn. No special tools needed in my case.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Chedman13
I just bought aftermarket ones from my tire shop. No programming except through the steering wheel buttons to reset/relearn. No special tools needed in my case.
Good to hear, I didn't expect any less...the new set are in route to me now, will have to get time scheduled to get the other swapped out.