Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2017-2018 Panamera V-6 Noises???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 AM
donfenn is on a distinguished road
New 2017-2018 Panamera V-6 Noises???

I just picked up a new 2017 Panamera V-6.. It is my fourth Panamera.. My past cars included Panamera S cars and the former V-6 version. My 2017 is a base car, but it is optioned with Premium Package Plus and PASM, so it is a loaded car.

The new car beautiful, and it is a great improvement in many ways... It feels tighter and drivetrain is more responsive than the old V6--- however there is a minor noise quirk that I find slightly irritating.. I originally thought it might be just be an issue with my car, but I drive another 2017, and a newly arrived 2018 and noted same issue...

It is a minor soft whirring and puffing sound which appears to come from behind the driver's side firewall or behind instrument cluster at about 2000-4000 rpms... It could be related to turbo, but it is not typical turbo spooling noise, and it sounds more like an AC compressor huffing/ticking noise--even though this noise is present when I have climate control turned off.

With the radio or sound system on it is not perceptible, but it is definitely there if you listen for it with sound off. I might be slightly neurotic about listening for it, but on a car with a 100k window sticker I am thinking that there I should not be hearing these things---however minor as they might be. I am curious if any others have noticed these noises and quirks with the new base V6 engine?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
I wonder if it is caused by moving the turbos into the V of the engine from the previous location, down by the exhaust manifold?

Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Byrdman is on a distinguished road
I think I know the sound mine ('18 Panamera4 ) it is a really faint noise...I only heard it driving off the lot as my music hadn't started playing yet. I thought it was related to the Turbo but you're not crazy. My ears too where really attentive to all sounds after paying the "PIPER". Let's see if others chime in.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:58 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by donfenn
I just picked up a new 2017 Panamera V-6.. It is my fourth Panamera.. My past cars included Panamera S cars and the former V-6 version. My 2017 is a base car, but it is optioned with Premium Package Plus and PASM, so it is a loaded car.

The new car beautiful, and it is a great improvement in many ways... It feels tighter and drivetrain is more responsive than the old V6--- however there is a minor noise quirk that I find slightly irritating.. I originally thought it might be just be an issue with my car, but I drive another 2017, and a newly arrived 2018 and noted same issue...

It is a minor soft whirring and puffing sound which appears to come from behind the driver's side firewall or behind instrument cluster at about 2000-4000 rpms... It could be related to turbo, but it is not typical turbo spooling noise, and it sounds more like an AC compressor huffing/ticking noise--even though this noise is present when I have climate control turned off.

With the radio or sound system on it is not perceptible, but it is definitely there if you listen for it with sound off. I might be slightly neurotic about listening for it, but on a car with a 100k window sticker I am thinking that there I should not be hearing these things---however minor as they might be. I am curious if any others have noticed these noises and quirks with the new base V6 engine?
Just saw a similar post on https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/ . Disappointed !!! Please bring it to your Porsche Dealer, i would do that. Please update us after your service at Porsche about this issue.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by dougcayenne
Just saw a similar post on https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/ . Disappointed !!! Please bring it to your Porsche Dealer, i would do that. Please update us after your service at Porsche about this issue.
Thanks for that link... I have a service appointment today and will see what is discovered. My dealer claims that a recent PDK update bulletin will address this, but I am skeptical, and see no connection with the transmission.. I looked at the update bulletin info online, which says the update is to address shifting noises and tranmission response-- rather than a whirring sound related to rpms..

I am not a mechanic but I continue to guess that is related to turbo, intake, or valve -- issues rather than the PDK settings...

Old 02-07-2018, 04:46 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Ask the dealer to contact Porsche Regional technical engineer to visit and check it out if they are not able to resolve the issue.
I have 2014 Cayenne. the brake made noise 2 years ago when applying brake pedal. The dealer said it is normal. After my request, they replaced the brake booster and sound went away. Don't let them sit on the issue.

Good luck and please update us what you learn.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 PM
My car is at the dealer and they agree that they hear a slight whirring or ticking sound at about 2000-3000 rpms... They gave me a new generation Panamera loaner with same drivetrain and I do not hear the same sounds in the loaner, so there must be some issue with my car.. They even agreed that the PDK update would probably not change this, just as I had been thinking.

I told them I don't want mine back until they figure out the issue... We shall see.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by donfenn
My car is at the dealer and they agree that they hear a slight whirring or ticking sound at about 2000-3000 rpms... They gave me a new generation Panamera loaner with same drivetrain and I do not hear the same sounds in the loaner, so there must be some issue with my car.. They even agreed that the PDK update would probably not change this, just as I had been thinking.

I told them I don't want mine back until they figure out the issue... We shall see.
Glad to hear the dealer takes it very seriously !!! I would be very unhappy if they did not understand my concerns. Did you talk with Service manager and SA together? Perhaps, you also email your concern to Service Manager so he can escalate it to next level if the Local Porsche dealer can not figure it out. My local Porsche of Fremont is very good to make their customers happy. Otherwise, Tesla is nearby, few blocks away. LOL ...

Good Luck and let us know

Old 02-15-2018, 03:17 PM
After a week of research, testing etc--with involvement of Porsche tech advisor, I got my 2017 Panamera back--as is. The dealer's service writer and shop foreman agreed that there was a definite noise and went through their research to isolate it.. They found that it comes from the fuel delivery system---apparently related to components or fuel routing before it gets to the injectors. They admitted that they hear it-- and involved the Porsche tecnical rep in the diagnosis... They said that Porsche tech dept is aware of this issue, but deem it to be a characteristic of the engine.

Needless to say, I am aggravated and disappointed to get this response from Porsche. I am already trying to escalate this with Porsche Customer Car dept..

Old 02-15-2018, 03:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear no RESOLUTION for this issue. What's the next step?

It is a major disappointed when this issue is not resolved. Please keep pushing them for a resolution. Or you may do a video on youtube like Nick Murray about bad product 911 he had ... LOL ... You may contact Nick Private Message about his experience to deal with Porsche.

Wish you all the best, and please let us know the outcome so we all learn from it.

Doug

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.