Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis System Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:33 PM
UnFinishedPorsche is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by tallpaul
Nobody likes to hear it but the sinking/sagging over a period of time (usually a day) that raises once the car warms up is almost always a leaking strut. The car is functional when raised, but over time it will get worse and wear out the compressor. There are rarely things it could also be (valve block, level sensor) but from postings/research I've seen this is less common. I've got a new phrase - "If the strut drops in a day, throw it away".

Service can be done by a good garage mechanic or third party shop. Rebuild parts are hit or miss, there seems to be a high failure rate. A worldpac rebuild or new part from Porsche is $1500-2500 for parts, install time is 4-8 hours depending on shop. I did see Arnott just started carrying Panamera rebuilds and they have a good history with the Mercedes air suspension crowd.

Thanks! I was hoping it wasnt that. Since both front struts were low. Guess it needs to go the shop to see which one is leaking.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 AM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by UnFinishedPorsche

Thanks! I was hoping it wasnt that. Since both front struts were low. Guess it needs to go the shop to see which one is leaking.
It's possible they are both leaking. Mine were, though it was obvious one side was worse than the other - it sat lower (passenger was worse than driver side). Pretty common with age and used car. Still a great car though, good luck with the replacement.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:47 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
You can find out yourself which is leaking. Read my threads on air suspension. You will learn more than an indy mechanic and can do it yourself if you choose.
Shock replacement DIY
Air suspension tech info

Once you read and still have questions, let us know.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 AM
KICKINIT can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by ciaka
You can find out yourself which is leaking. Read my threads on air suspension. You will learn more than an indy mechanic and can do it yourself if you choose.
Shock replacement DIY
Air suspension tech info

Once you read and still have questions, let us know.
^^^^^ advice
take him up on this great resource for DIY self repair
just had 2 leaky struts on PTT (saved much $)

Old 01-06-2019, 08:05 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KICKINIT
^^^^^ advice
take him up on this great resource for DIY self repair
just had 2 leaky struts on PTT (saved much $)
Did you follow Ciaka's procedure and replace them yourself?

Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I know it feels daunting before you do it.
Dont think of how difficult it will be.
Think of how awesome it will be once it is all fixed, and how great you will feel once you complete doing it.
Not impossible to do. Not very hard to do. Requires some time and diy will only help.
If I can do it, you can do it too, guaranteed.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
But don’t forget an alignment

Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
BOYS!!!!!! I was able to diagnose a problem on my own after getting two different independents to have a look over... Both shops recommended getting the shocks replaced... however, I know damn well that the shocks are perfectly fine.... So I went ahead and followed CIAKA's Workflow to diagnose and i found out that I had a simple Cracked Connector plug to the shock itself! I would get random Chassis System Failure on very cold days and finally it just stayed that way... I also checked on my two other friend's with PASM as well with higher mileage and the wire clips ALL were slightly broken or very brittle! I solved the problem with $7 from Fry's Electronics... basically used a 5" Male to Female jumper wires for motherboards which connects perfectly and protects from shorting out inside of the strut..... I'll post pictures very soon, but I literally just solved it right now and the Chassis System Failure went away and all the functions work again perfectly! Porsche NA is gonna hate me for this one as I have a feeling that they get customers to just get a replacement strut and while they are at it, they replace the wire connector part which I think can be ordered, however, I'll look at the wire connector part and see if I can find a corresponding part number...

Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
great news!, looking forward to your pictures.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Bigfoot68. Brfore you go to deale4, do yourself a favor and follow the air suspension info plus troubleshooting threads. Can save thousands, literally.
and update us on your car status.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Hey Guys!

Yeah, one of the struts had a pinch in the line. Sucks I found this out after already Purchasing an AfterMarket Airlift Performance Kit.

Different question now is.. Is there any way to get rid of the Chassis Failure light??

I also purchased a delete kit, but didnt do its job.

Again, any help I would appreciate.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:06 AM
I use durametric for errors reset. There are others too.
Free sw download but you pay for cable.
If you have good rapport with dealer or shop, they may do it free.

Originally Posted by UnFinishedPorsche
Hey Guys!

Yeah, one of the struts had a pinch in the line. Sucks I found this out after already Purchasing an AfterMarket Airlift Performance Kit.

Different question now is.. Is there any way to get rid of the Chassis Failure light??

I also purchased a delete kit, but didnt do its job.

Again, any help I would appreciate.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Thank you!!

a Friend of mine has a High End Snap On Scanner.. I will go ahead and try to see if that works.

If it does, I will make sure to post it on here, for others!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM
gvenz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bigfoot68
Sorry for the delay in updating. The trouble turned out to be the left front ride height senor. $815 later it was all fixed.
How did they know it was the left front ride sensor?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 PM
I am sure they used volt meter to see if voltage gets to the sensor and maybe ohmed it to see if broken. Piwis 2 system has tests that can be run, while monitoring sensors, dealers can pd in 5 minutes. Replacing sensor is a 15 minute job (it is located on the upper control arm - remove tire, swap sensor, tire back on, re calibrate, done).
If you dont have piwis 2, you can test by eliminating easy/known working items.
Good job though, car on the road, thats what counts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chassis System Failure