Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Panamera Air Suspension Shock Replacement (Front)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
DIY: Panamera Air Suspension Shock Replacement (Front)

After doing some work on my PTT, i put this DIY together to help others replace their own shocks.
Ended up replacing both front shocks. Then, one of replaced shocks was not working.
Once I figured that out (info about how to diagnose is in the air suspension info thread),
company overnighted another replacement (I pre paid, and they refund money afterwards -takes about 2 weeks after they get shock back).
Doing first shock replacement took about 4 hours with pics, breaks, etc.
Doing subsequent shock replacements (other side and replace of defective shock), took about 1.5 hrs including wheel attach.

My advice, do not be intimidated. Not difficult. Keep your eyes on the prize - new car with new suspension working perfect.
Then do the job. You will enjoy lots of money saved.
People take their cars to dealer to have this done, have posted bills of $9000 plus tax for replacing front air shocks.

My price for doing this myself:
- $375 for driver shock (pre paid 525, got refund $150 on used core charge)
- $375 for passenger shock (again pre paid 525 and got 10 back after I sent old core back)
- $120 for valve block (decided to replace as Durametric does not have capability to test individual valves to see which is broken or not.
- About 12 hours of time spread over few days (you can do the whole thing in one weekend no problem - one day). Of course,
my time included taking pics, organizing things, doing troubleshooting so I can have proper write up about air suspension (separate thread - search for air suspension info), etc.
Your time will be likely about 8 to 10 hours max, since you already have this all laid out to follow.

Money wise, I spent $870. Compared to $9000 bill, that is $8,130 SAVINGS!!! - Before tax!
Think what you can do with that money!! Of course, if you feel you have too much after DIY, you can paypal me some - I will not complain.

REPLACEMENT PARTS I USED:
Rebuild Master Tech shocks. Look online, make sure you get the proper year and model and side you need.
Not sure if there are other vendors doing this. Cayennes used to have Arnott, but checking I did not see any Panamera air shocks.

OTHER INFO:
While you are doing this work, it is good to think ahead, if you need any other work that will save lots of time, if done at same time as air shock replacement.
- Upper control arms (see my DIY) - if you have clunking over bumps, these are likely culprits
- Lower control arms (see my DIY) - if you have clunking these can be reason too
- Sway bar bushings - if you have squeaking coming from car over bumps these are likely the reason. You can lube them to see if helps, but once all this stuff is being worked on, bushings are just a small addition
- Other brake jobs, etc in the area.

Do not rush, take time to do correctly. Hope this helps you fine folks. Follow each pic as it is numbered. Last pic has hardware torque info.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Bobby Buggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Great DIY piece but Yeah thats a little out of my league

Last edited by Bobby Buggs; 09-20-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:00 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I thought so as well until I did it.
Trust yourself and take time. If you have a friend that is handy, see if he can help ease you in. You will like the savings and is easy to do.

Originally Posted by Bobby Buggs
Great DIY piece but Yeah thats a little out of my league

Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Ciaka,
You are the best DIY. I see you have no problem to own any Panamera Turbo/S. You have the Skill, buddy. As matter of fact, I saw few Pan Turbo at FJ Porsche for service and repair this morning when I drop off my car for warranty work. The SA manager Gunter told me that it is $$$ Cost to repair the Turbo and TS.
Thank you for your write-up. Excellent !!!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 PM
np. If helps others, then awesome.
I saw some quotes at dealer for front shocks only. As stated, were 9k, 10k and even saw 11k. Thats like buying new car instead of fixing.
Key is not to look at the obstacles, but to focus on how nice it will be after all i s fixed (the good results).

Originally Posted by dougcayenne
Ciaka,
You are the best DIY. I see you have no problem to own any Panamera Turbo/S. You have the Skill, buddy. As matter of fact, I saw few Pan Turbo at FJ Porsche for service and repair this morning when I drop off my car for warranty work. The SA manager Gunter told me that it is $$$ Cost to repair the Turbo and TS.
Thank you for your write-up. Excellent !!!

Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ciaka
After doing some work on my PTT, i put this DIY together to help others replace their own shocks.
Ended up replacing both front shocks. Then, one of replaced shocks was not working.
Once I figured that out (info about how to diagnose is in the air suspension info thread),
company overnighted another replacement (I pre paid, and they refund money afterwards -takes about 2 weeks after they get shock back).
From the other recent thread and this one, it seems an initial failure is a trend from RMT. You went easy on them for that...

I'm sorry to ask this, but I'm not very fit so to speak. Did you get a chance to weigh any of that stuff? I'm not sure I can handle them. They look heavy!

Thanks for sharing this DIY! My wife bought this (non-turbo) car at a HUGE savings over new, but it is a little on in age....

Old 09-19-2019, 10:43 AM
If you mean shocks, the shipping label for each shock says 10lbs, so each shock is in neighborhood of maybe 15lbs. Not very heavy.
When it is removed, I used the rope to compress it, and that means using some muscle to get shock to compress, then lock it in place with rope so it does not expand.
i did this by compressing, tightening rope around a bolt then compress shock more, and remove slack from rope, and kept going until shock was compressed enough to remove.
Trying to think, but that should be extent of physical stuff, other than removing tire and the other stuff to separate ball joints, bolts, etc.

I am sure you will be fine. Dont think about the whole process, or you will get intimidated. Think just starting, then tires off, then separate joints, then move rotor out of way, removing bolts in shock, then shock, etc, etc.
Split big job into 10 small jobs and you will have no issues. Good luck.

If you still need to pd, I have another thread about air suspension info, which goes over testing what needs repair in air suspension for the Panamera.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Thank you ciaka! Great info!!!

Right now the car says oil change due in 8 days, but the seller said they got the oil changed prior to sale. I suspect the shop did not reset the maintenance computer. Same shop that told me the over rotated mirror was normal...

Old 09-20-2019, 07:03 PM
I learned mot to trust car salesmen.
After got my car, did all fluids, this way I start fresh and can track history.
You need tool like dursmetric, piwis2, etc, to reset errors and service.
That alone will save you thousands.
Over last 3 weeks I was playing with errors. Had zi not had mine, i would have to tow car twice (cheapest is 100 bucks membership aaa), scanning twice (110 bucks each time), plus parts work. Thats about a grand right there, only on one iteration.
Diags is a must for any nice car.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 AM
Mazurda is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone on here that wants a PDF file of panamera factory service manual feel free to PM me with your email address and I will forward you PDF file with 12K pages of detailed info/repair instructions on the car from top to bottom.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:48 AM
ez1973 will become famous soon enoughez1973 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mazurda
anyone on here that wants a PDF file of panamera factory service manual feel free to PM me with your email address and I will forward you PDF file with 12K pages of detailed info/repair instructions on the car from top to bottom.
PM sent

Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mazurda
I've been paying the $15 + tax every time I need to access the Porsche service information because I forgot/missed something the last time. Each time it allows me access for 1 hour, and I may forget/miss something again. Thank you for this offer!

Old 09-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Mazurda is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jzchen
I've been paying the $15 + tax every time I need to access the Porsche service information because I forgot/missed something the last time. Each time it allows me access for 1 hour, and I may forget/miss something again. Thank you for this offer!

Anytime

Old 09-23-2019, 01:07 AM
gvenz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome tutorial! I just found out I have a leak in the front driver’s side Strut (car leaning slightly in that direction). My suspension adjustment is non-responsive now. I have to check it it’s the fuse or relay or compressor itself (hope not)

I was told that after you replace the strut there needs to be some resets going on? Do you know anything about this? Want to make sure I am not taken for a ride by the Porsche mechanic and what he said. Do you know if I need nitrogen if that’s something that can be a DIY as well?

Old 09-23-2019, 04:40 AM
You should read the other thread, the pananera air susoension info. Gives you more detail about the suspension.
Quick answers for you:
No nitrogen needed as system is not fully closed. Dealer can put nitro for about 180 if you want but iver time it will be gone.

After you replace the shock, you do not need to recalibrate the system, thats what your mechanic is referring to. Recalibration is done after you replace height sensors if they break.
If you replace shock, all you need to do is follow the shock replace instruction, air will go inflate shock and you will be all set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Panamera Air Suspension Shock Replacement (Front)