Sponsored by:

Panamera 60K Interval PDK Fluid Change DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:13 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Got a reply from Durametric,, it is not something they support....yet

Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I was able to do my PDK fluid change today.
Process really easy, but time consuming.
It makes it much easier with a lift.
I had 2 front stands, plus a 3 ton jack which I used to put under the car to lift the rear up to match front.

Thank you for your DIY.
You said the old fluid should be clear but little brownish. Mine was not. What do you think about my old fluid? Comments appreciated.
This old fluid is after 70K running.

When I drained the fluid, about 8.5 quarts came out.
On refill, I put in about 8.75 or 8.8 quarts.

After change, I can say even though my PDK appeared smooth, the change has made it noticeably better. Cannot really tell in which exact way, but appears to be even smoother and focused when changing gears.

Can anyone chime in with info on what can happen if PDK transmission fluid is low (say half a quart).
Also, what can happen if same PDK transmission fluid was overfilled by say a half quart?
Looking for info on what results can take place if either situation occurs in the PDK.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PDKFluid.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	529049  
Old 07-21-2018, 11:02 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Ciaka did you use the cross frame member int he back to lift it?
You where discussing it in another thread, just wondering how it worked out.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:03 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
The fluid is very dark. Good Job !!! For 70K you need to replace the embedded filter in the pan. The maintenance is stated PDK service @ 60K. Did you do it?

Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
I imagine the fluid color is a result of the type of the driving that has been done. My car, with fairly clear, dark amber color fluid has had a lot of highway miles. That is easy on the clutches/transmission. I have had some spirited driving but the vast majority of the driving has been highway -- not stop & go (It is used as a long distance trip car for the most part).

I'll bet dark fluid is result of more stop & go driving and maybe more launches as well.

Last edited by HP41; 01-11-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:36 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Speaking to shop and other folks confirming here, you can replace filter with the second interval at 120k.
That's what I did. Fluid replace only at 60k, fluid and pan/filter replace at 120k.
There are ed threads about it on here and other forums.

Originally Posted by dougcayenne
The fluid is very dark. Good Job !!! For 70K you need to replace the embedded filter in the pan. The maintenance is stated PDK service @ 60K. Did you do it?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:47 AM
Yes, used cross frame point in rear.
Raised car to high. Drive car on front stands, disabled suspension. Then rolled jack lift from back, have small piece of flat wood on jack point to prevent metal to metal contact, then lifted to level the car.
After job, lowered back, then drove off stands in high mode.

Originally Posted by DogWood
Ciaka did you use the cross frame member int he back to lift it?
You where discussing it in another thread, just wondering how it worked out.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:17 PM
fatpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for the guide. I recently performed the fluid only change at 64,000 on my base v6 RWD and it went smooth. I about freaked out when I drained and fill only about 7.5 liters. Just adding this for info since the RWD or 2WD is filling capacity of 7.6 Liters. The references to 9 Liters is 4WD model filling capacity approx. I was able to find the data in the workshop manual table for Pentosin FFL 3 change.

No issues with the process. I did reset the PDK following the photo of the factory sheet on the forum or rennlist and all good.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 PM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
Fatpan --- Thanks for add on the 2wd quantity. I updated the original pdf at the top with the info for both versions (AWD/2WD)

Regards,

Old 01-11-2019, 05:05 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Do you see any performance difference or PDK shifting quicker and smoother? You did Fluid change only. My local Porsche in the bay area quotes $700 for full PDK service including oil pan filter and gasket.
hmm ... Not so sure the Fluid will do it. My car is 2016 CPO PAN4 I like to have a full PDK service in 2020/21, LOL ...

Good Job.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Doug,

Shifting speed / quality has never been a problem - no appreciable changes after fluid service. If you do a lot of stop-and-go driving, changing the filter may have some benefit. If you have a less severe driving pattern, not sure there is any thing to be gained from changing the internal filter (just change the fluid).

I had an analysis done on the old fluid when I changed it. Report showed it was in great shape which matched the physical look of the fluid when I drained it. (clear darker amber color). I will change the filter at the recommended 120K mile interval.

Regards,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
14 PANAMERA-TR-180627 share.pdf (146.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by dougcayenne
Do you see any performance difference or PDK shifting quicker and smoother? You did Fluid change only. My local Porsche in the bay area quotes $700 for full PDK service including oil pan filter and gasket.
hmm ... Not so sure the Fluid will do it. My car is 2016 CPO PAN4 I like to have a full PDK service in 2020/21, LOL ...

Good Job.
My PDk has been smooth and no issues at alll. The fluid came out looking brand new and not dark brown. It was original fluid and never changed. The dealer price sounds good with pan cost. I have changed gearbox fluids in all my cars and did only fluid after much reading and other data from here on Blackstone analysis. I will do full pan and fluid next round.

I did the PDK reset to learn my driving pattern since the prior owner did a lot of highway travel. I am only daily driving the pan and have the same smooth shifts with a little quicker changes accelerating. I am now in normal mode between old data granny cruiser and sport. It may tone down as I put more miles on it but the reset did produce a snappier comfort mode.

If you are able to measure sump pump temperature accurately then it is an easy job on my year PDK 2012. I believe you should use a scan tool since I compared IR gun on pan/pan plug bolt and the scan tool was 104F while the pan was 97F. My IR temp gun is a cheapo so take that with a grain of salt. A scan tool is the way to go to be confident in proper fluid level reading. I use the iCarSoft -PORII model.

To many more miles.

Last edited by fatpan; 01-12-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added scan tool i used
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM
I second the idea of using a scan tool. I can recommend the iCarSoft -PORII model for this job. It can read the PDK fluid temp directly.

See other threads about scan tool discussions. (Durametric vs iCarSoft-PORII ....)

Regards,

Old 01-14-2019, 07:49 AM
just as fyi, as I was gathering data on PDK transmission in Panamera, and spoke to others about the PDK transmission, FSM, Porsche models, it became clear Porsche required to measure temperature for filling of the clutch fluid in models where it is a separate fluid from transmission gearing. So in those models, one has to worry about the clutch fluid, gearing fluid and final drive fluid for full transmission maintenance.
Temp reading was required for doing the clutch fluid since level was critical for proper operation.
Since Panamera only has 2 fluids total (gearing and clutch fluid are in one and same compartment within the transmission box), Panamera owners need only to worry about 2 fluids (PDK for gearing and clutches fluid, plus the final drive fluid).
In addition, since the gearing and clutches fluid are not separated, it is less critical to have temperature exact. Somewhere on here i was making calculations on the fluid expansion, so you are talking fluid difference of less than the lowest line on one of those 5mL medicine caps, which is totally lost in total quantity of 10L for PDK. Thats like worrying about 5 drops within a 1 gal bucket.
So if you do PDK, yes, have it at normal temp, just make sure it is topped up to top of fill hole, and you will be fine.

Originally Posted by HP41
I second the idea of using a scan tool. I can recommend the iCarSoft -PORII model for this job. It can read the PDK fluid temp directly.

See other threads about scan tool discussions. (Durametric vs iCarSoft-PORII ....)

Regards,

Old 01-14-2019, 10:06 AM
Yep. Temperature not as important on the Panamera pdk. I was just mentioning I noticed a temp dif enough to note on IR vs scan tool. Near the 104F level is the read for fill vs normal operating after some time is going to be higher like 160F + . I remember your fluid expansion post and agree likely nothing to worry. I suspect a Porsche tech just measures temp in all cases and fills the case until running out and plugs without much other consideration.

In my case, my 2WD has just the one fluid. My original reason for the post was so other 2WD owners won't think something is wrong when they fill and only get to about 7.5 L. If they thought 9 L was the mark then they will be cleaning up a lot of fluid/mess. ;-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera 60K Interval PDK Fluid Change DIY