6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   My experiences - wheel spacers, wheel vibratiojn, etc (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/422161-my-experiences-wheel-spacers-wheel-vibratiojn-etc.html)

ciaka 07-08-2018 09:08 PM

My experiences - wheel spacers, wheel vibratiojn, etc

I just recently decided to put on 15mm spacers on all 4 corners. While doing so, did thorough cleaning of each wheel and rotor/caliper set.
Actually did rear wheels few days before, but today did the front wheels.
After cleaning, put on new spacers, mounted the wheels and used new bolts to tighten the wheels up.
Then went for a short drive to see how things felt. Took the cart to higher speed, and noticed that at about 90-95 I was feeling vibrations. This was not what I felt before spacers went on.

Returned home, and while the car was on the ground, I took my air gun and loosened each bolt on the driver front wheel, and loosened then retightened each bolt one at a time. Then, repeated on each bolt on passenger side.

Then, took the car for another ride. Took the car for another higher speed, and at same velocity did not feel a thing anymore. Increased speed again to about 120 and still, nothing. All butter smooth. All vibrations gone.

Returned home and reviewed the service manual. I came across a section with wheels and suspension. It stated that bolts should be tightened while on the ground vs while being in the air.
So if you change a wheel, add spacers, rebalance, any suspension work, if you feel vibration, I recommend do what I did to eliminate possibility the wheel is just not sitting right.

Hope this helps folks out there.

DogWood 07-11-2018 05:40 PM

thanks ciaka, good to know

Deezflip 02-24-2019 08:22 AM

Wow, I don't understand the physics on this. You figure that tightening while it's on the ground would exert more force to it being off-centered.

But good to know, thanks!

stealthn 02-26-2019 10:03 PM

I thought this was common knowledge..

Kayvan1347 02-27-2019 04:54 PM

I just put 15 mm spacers on all 4 turbo wheels and is really great. You might think 15mm is nothing to be noticeable but for some reasons it does work. Since yesterday I got at least 4 comments from people that what a nice car. The people saw my car before too but they never made any comments about it. I used ESC spacer very high quality and little bit more expensive but it worth it to have peace of mind.

negb 03-02-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ciaka (Post 4726182)
bolts should be tightened while on the ground vs while being in the air.

Originally Posted by ciaka (Post 4726182)
any suspension work .

yes, after replacing bushings final tightening should be done when car is on its wheels on the ground, but..... how often it is done... just because is not easy to get under the car when it is on the ground..
and that's where problems starts - short lifetime of new bushings, vibrations, etc....

Deezflip 03-10-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kayvan1347 (Post 4768693)
I just put 15 mm spacers on all 4 turbo wheels and is really great. You might think 15mm is nothing to be noticeable but for some reasons it does work. Since yesterday I got at least 4 comments from people that what a nice car. The people saw my car before too but they never made any comments about it. I used ESC spacer very high quality and little bit more expensive but it worth it to have peace of mind.

Did you have vibrations and had to do the loosen and re-tighten the lug bolts?

Kayvan1347 03-10-2019 11:46 PM

No, it is all good.