Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experiences - wheel spacers, wheel vibratiojn, etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:08 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
My experiences - wheel spacers, wheel vibratiojn, etc

I just recently decided to put on 15mm spacers on all 4 corners. While doing so, did thorough cleaning of each wheel and rotor/caliper set.
Actually did rear wheels few days before, but today did the front wheels.
After cleaning, put on new spacers, mounted the wheels and used new bolts to tighten the wheels up.
Then went for a short drive to see how things felt. Took the cart to higher speed, and noticed that at about 90-95 I was feeling vibrations. This was not what I felt before spacers went on.

Returned home, and while the car was on the ground, I took my air gun and loosened each bolt on the driver front wheel, and loosened then retightened each bolt one at a time. Then, repeated on each bolt on passenger side.

Then, took the car for another ride. Took the car for another higher speed, and at same velocity did not feel a thing anymore. Increased speed again to about 120 and still, nothing. All butter smooth. All vibrations gone.

Returned home and reviewed the service manual. I came across a section with wheels and suspension. It stated that bolts should be tightened while on the ground vs while being in the air.
So if you change a wheel, add spacers, rebalance, any suspension work, if you feel vibration, I recommend do what I did to eliminate possibility the wheel is just not sitting right.

Hope this helps folks out there.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:40 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
thanks ciaka, good to know

Old 02-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Deezflip is on a distinguished road
Wow, I don't understand the physics on this. You figure that tightening while it's on the ground would exert more force to it being off-centered.

But good to know, thanks!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
I thought this was common knowledge..

Old 02-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Kayvan1347 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put 15 mm spacers on all 4 turbo wheels and is really great. You might think 15mm is nothing to be noticeable but for some reasons it does work. Since yesterday I got at least 4 comments from people that what a nice car. The people saw my car before too but they never made any comments about it. I used ESC spacer very high quality and little bit more expensive but it worth it to have peace of mind.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:26 AM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ciaka
bolts should be tightened while on the ground vs while being in the air.
Originally Posted by ciaka
any suspension work .
yes, after replacing bushings final tightening should be done when car is on its wheels on the ground, but..... how often it is done... just because is not easy to get under the car when it is on the ground..
and that's where problems starts - short lifetime of new bushings, vibrations, etc....

Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Deezflip is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kayvan1347
I just put 15 mm spacers on all 4 turbo wheels and is really great. You might think 15mm is nothing to be noticeable but for some reasons it does work. Since yesterday I got at least 4 comments from people that what a nice car. The people saw my car before too but they never made any comments about it. I used ESC spacer very high quality and little bit more expensive but it worth it to have peace of mind.
Did you have vibrations and had to do the loosen and re-tighten the lug bolts?

Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 PM
Kayvan1347 is an unknown quantity at this point
No, it is all good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.