Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Panamera GTS V8 turbo vs. RS7

Old 11-12-2018, 07:35 PM
bzliteyear is on a distinguished road
2019 Panamera GTS V8 turbo vs. RS7

Hi all,
I know some have complained about the $190K PTTS having less HP than RS7, and I actually think that’s not as a big a deal as those buyers just want the best/most expensive Porsche.
However, when it comes to a buyer deciding what to get for $140K, I think it’s arrogant of Porsche to think their customer will “choose” 100+ less hp 2019 GTS versus a biturbo V8 with nearly 600hp for the Audi RS7.
Am I the only person who thinks this approach will backfire eventually - and hurt us Porsche loyal owners?
I recall Mercedes and BMW both had this strategy for a while, providing most V6 with 250-300hp, even as others were putting up 350-400hp for less $. Eventually MB and BMW both started losing maker share to both Audi as well as Tesla, imho.
PL

Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 AM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Both cars are very nice, and perhaps a small percentage of buyers will opt for the higher HP brand. However, there is still plenty more that goes into that kind of decision, and IMO the RS7 does not equally compare to the luxury, build quality and exclusivity of the Panamera.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:14 AM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Porsche is saying more about the Panamera Turbo than the RS7 with this choice. The reality is, Porsche does not want to encroach on the Panamera turbo's power sales by giving the GTS too much power. Given the similarities between the two cars, they are banking on the luxury feel of the Panamera turbo with similar performance winning out for the additional dollars over of the more pure sport feel of the RS7. i'd go further and say I think they consider the S7 the more equivalent version to the GTS.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:33 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
porsche is currently the most profitable car company in the world and not having any trouble selling their models. this could be adding to their potential arrogance. i will say, i see the RS7 as the only real direct competitor to the Panamera, but the tt RS7 at a price point of the panamera GTS is not necessary a fair fight (for the panny). that RS7 is crazy fast, but that's not the only aspect to this decision and i think porsche feels that have the RS7 'handled' in that comparison. it may not be the right choice, but i am sure they have drilled the numbers over and over and determine where each panamera model has to be to be attractive. for me, the panamera excels with the interior and the handling. the RS7 has a wonderful interior (audi interiors have been great for years now), but a direct comparison has me wanting the panamera interior much more. the center stack is very appealing once you live with it a bit. in respect to handling, no contest - the porsche wins that comparison easily. the audi, at that price point, is a great choice, but those are the clear winners to me and there is probably enough market share for both. plus, porsche and audi are MUCH more worried about ALL the SUVs they're selling anyway...

Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Porsche brings in about $24 Billion revenue, so I do not think they are too worried S7 is undercutting their vehicles.
Porsche is known for utmost attention to detail and luxury, combined with name recognition and styling.
Put all these together and bring near a customer with some hefty dollars, they will not be asking to haggle, they will purchase what they want, without whining about the price much.
if you spend 200k on a car, vs 220k or 180k, it wont matter to you because you can already spend that much on a CAR.
That is Porsche. That is attention to higher price customer. us who buy cars second hand are not their target audience.

Originally Posted by C4Sbeebe
porsche is currently the most profitable car company in the world .....