Sponsored by:

Squeaky sound after new brake pads were installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 PM
Kayvan1347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Squeaky sound after new brake pads were installed

Hi all
i just had 4 new break pads on all 4 wheels on my Panamera. That was the first brake pad changes for my car. Now the break are very squeaky and the mechanic shop says it is normal and will get fine after few months.
Is anyone else had the same experience?
Thanks

Old 03-01-2019, 07:05 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
Were OEM pads or "low dust" pads used? (OEM pads make a lot of dust)

The "low dust" pads have a tendency to make noise.

Regards,

Old 03-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by HP41
Were OEM pads or "low dust" pads used? (OEM pads make a lot of dust)

The "low dust" pads have a tendency to make noise.

Regards,
yes they are OEM pads , but I spoke with the mechanic shops again and he wants to change the pads again under warranty. He hope it will get fixed.
i keep you posted.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Boxzing is on a distinguished road
I recently installed new Hawk ceramic pads front and rear, did not replace the rotors, 52k miles on them. Fronts did not squeal but the right rear did badly. I feel that I bedded them in per the manufacturers specs but they started squealing also immediately after installing them. About two weeks later (150-200 miles later), the squealing stopped and to date, no issues. Perhaps your problem will lessen after a bit of time.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Interestingly the mechanic says only rear right wheel only make the squeaky noise and it will go away. But any way he wanted the change it again next week and I didn’t say no .

Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Some new information. As you all know OEM breaks on Panamera make more noise due to its nature. So when you buy the brakes it comes with very thin shim. You need to buy a shim separately. And also to make sure you don’t get squeaky sound you better to use some kind anti squeaky stuff. The one I found that others are happy with it and it is approved by BMW too is BG Stop Squeal.
I orederd them and we are supposed to use new shim and the stop squeal together, hopping to get read of the squeaky noise.
i will keep you posted with result.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Ok we used the BG stop squeal and unfortunately didn’t work. So I don’t know what else can be done.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:03 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
I had new front rotors and pads installed recently and afterwards they squeaked at low speeds which of course is when it's the most irritating. I finally had a chance to drive my car to my home in the mountains last weekend and after several high speed braking events down steep grades they are now quiet again.

Maybe you can find some empty country roads and try a series of heavy braking runs in succession? I hope the noise goes away for you too - far too annoying on a car this nice!

Old 04-02-2019, 04:47 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
seems to be the general consensus, go out and do some hard breaking - most have reported this to work.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Ok I will try and keep you posted.
Thanks

Old 04-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
mountain roads are pretty much a direct bedding process, but it might be a bit too aggressive!

Old 04-08-2019, 08:35 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
To properly bed your pads, they must be heated very hot but then must be cooled down without stopping the car. If brakes are very hot and you stop the car (at lights, stop signs, etc), material from pads will transfer onto rotors and you will have vibrations when braking. So if you plan to bed the brakes, do so on empty road where there are no lights or anything to stop you. I do mine on highway, at night, so I can get time to heat them up and then just drive for a while to cool down.

1. Get new brake pads/rotors
2. Find empty road with no lights, stops, traffic, etc
3. Get car up to 45mph
4. Apply brakes at light to moderate force, and reduce speed down to about 15mph.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 4 times. This prepares your brakes to be bedded (gets the temps up and ready)
6. Get the car up to about 50mph
7. Apply brakes hard (not enough to engage anti lock though), and allow car to reduce speed to about 10mph
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7, for 8 times in quick succession. MAKE SURE NOT TO COME TO COMPLETE STOP WHILE DOING THESE STEPS AND AFTERWARDS.
9. Last time you reduce speed to about 10mph, get off the brake and just drive for another 20 minutes. This cools your brake system without stopping.
Now your brakes are bedded properly.

Originally Posted by Kayvan1347
Ok I will try and keep you posted.
Thanks

Old 04-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Hi Ciaka,
thanks for the throughout instructions. I will try it and keep you posted. I installed new brakes 2 weeks ago. I hope I won’t need to get a new set.
Thanks

Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Hi Ciaka
i tried your instructions last night and it did work. Many thanks. I was very mad with my new brakes and made me headaches. I did a shirt drive today and no squeal at all. I hope it stays as it is. I tried doing the hard braking before and it didn’t work. I really didn’t think this would do it but it did with your way. Thanks again you saved me on this issue.

Originally Posted by ciaka
To properly bed your pads, they must be heated very hot but then must be cooled down without stopping the car. If brakes are very hot and you stop the car (at lights, stop signs, etc), material from pads will transfer onto rotors and you will have vibrations when braking. So if you plan to bed the brakes, do so on empty road where there are no lights or anything to stop you. I do mine on highway, at night, so I can get time to heat them up and then just drive for a while to cool down.

1. Get new brake pads/rotors
2. Find empty road with no lights, stops, traffic, etc
3. Get car up to 45mph
4. Apply brakes at light to moderate force, and reduce speed down to about 15mph.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 4 times. This prepares your brakes to be bedded (gets the temps up and ready)
6. Get the car up to about 50mph
7. Apply brakes hard (not enough to engage anti lock though), and allow car to reduce speed to about 10mph
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7, for 8 times in quick succession. MAKE SURE NOT TO COME TO COMPLETE STOP WHILE DOING THESE STEPS AND AFTERWARDS.
9. Last time you reduce speed to about 10mph, get off the brake and just drive for another 20 minutes. This cools your brake system without stopping.
Now your brakes are bedded properly.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Glad to hear it worked. Some metallic brakes will squeal no matter what you do.
Good way to reduce squeal is also buy ceramic. They appear to be less dusty and still great stopping. Down side sometime is need more heat to work 100% right off the bat.

Originally Posted by Kayvan1347
Hi Ciaka
i tried your instructions last night and it did work. Many thanks. I was very mad with my new brakes and made me headaches. I did a shirt drive today and no squeal at all. I hope it stays as it is. I tried doing the hard braking before and it didn’t work. I really didn’t think this would do it but it did with your way. Thanks again you saved me on this issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeaky sound after new brake pads were installed